Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Nativity In Black posted:

Don't like that one bit. Has the rule for how this works changed over the years or is there basically no rule and this is all part of some ongoing meta game evolution?

Comparing this to the modern mind games of who puts down the last fist is weird.

And yeah, gently caress Ryuden.

I also used to root for Abi until he pulled a henka "side tachi-ai" on Takayasu during a playoff. I can usually appreciate a henka, but pulling one during a playoff seems like especially bad form. Doesn't help that the result was Takayasu writhing in pain on the dohyo. If I recall Takayasu was already injured going into that match, so that part can't be blamed on Abi, but that might have been one of Takayasu's last chances a tournament win.

A lot of my villains are rikishi who slighted Takayasu at some point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Does Ryuden kick puppies or something? He seemed like a pretty good competitor in the tourney.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

wikipedia posted:

In February 2019, Ryūden announced his engagement to his partner, a nurse named Mai Fukumaru, after a four-year relationship.[26] The couple married in June of the same year, with 430 guests in attendance.[27] In May 2021, it was revealed by the Shūkan Shinchō, alongside the investigation into the breached COVID-19 compliance guidelines, that Ryūden was having an affair with one of his fans.[28] It was also revealed that as a result of this relationship, the woman in question became pregnant and had, at Ryūden's insistence, an abortion; Ryūden had tried to pay her approximately 5 million yen in compensation, in vain.[28]

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Also he did this thing where, as he squared up for the tachiai, he did a little butt wiggle. He did this for at least 2 consecutive basho(s?) and it was quite villainous.

It is also acceptable to jeer at both Abi and Asanoyama.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Abi is the best heel in upper division. He’s like a cartoon villain.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Abi’s sumo sucks but he’s memorable and that’s the most important thing. He has a big lunkhead face and the worlds most ungainly style and the air of a high school movie bully. I’d rather have 5 more like him than one more Meisei or Nishikifuji

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Meisei is great he has the body of a giant baby and regularly wins against guys you wouldn't expect

Kennedy
Aug 1, 2006

hard to breathe?

Chinook posted:

Also he did this thing where, as he squared up for the tachiai, he did a little butt wiggle. He did this for at least 2 consecutive basho(s?) and it was quite villainous.

That twerking still lives rent-free in my head.

Sir Mat of Dickie
Jul 19, 2012

"There is no solitude greater than that of the samurai unless it be that of a tiger in the jungle... perhaps..."
I love Abi even if (or maybe because) he's a knucklehead. I like Ryuden's sumo but as above posts point out, his off-ring activities are unfortunate.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I would like Ryuden to disappear from the sport and never be seen again. I blacked out his face and name where it showed up on my sumo calendar.

I don’t like Abi and always want him to lose but not enough to deface the calendar. I used to have stronger negative feelings towards Asanoyama. He paid his time in horny jail though and destroyed his chances of ever being a Yokozuna and I don’t think hurt anyone with it but himself? Abi’s whole thing about unilaterally deciding to stay away from his wife and newborn until he got his rank back is what really turned me on him.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Shiroc posted:

I don’t like Abi and always want him to lose but not enough to deface the calendar. I used to have stronger negative feelings towards Asanoyama. He paid his time in horny jail though and destroyed his chances of ever being a Yokozuna and I don’t think hurt anyone with it but himself? Abi’s whole thing about unilaterally deciding to stay away from his wife and newborn until he got his rank back is what really turned me on him.

Yeah, that was very "I'm still going to be a selfish shitstain, just in a way the sumo media will report admiringly instead of criticizing me for it."

Ryuden is the worst and deserves to be kicked in the balls before every match. Abi's just a selfish doofus with horrific footwork.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
If you get henkad by Abi, you deserve to lose. It's like being outwitted by Biff Tannen

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Communist Thoughts posted:

A lot of my villains are rikishi who slighted Takayasu at some point

Death to Abi

Also I don’t like Kagayaki because he has giant pizza sized nips.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I love every fat boi and little guy and I want them all to do cool throws and belly-hump eachother forever.

Also, never forget Abi posted so hard he got all rikishi banned from social media.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

Don't like that one bit. Has the rule for how this works changed over the years or is there basically no rule and this is all part of some ongoing meta game evolution?

Comparing this to the modern mind games of who puts down the last fist is weird.

This is a good question and I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring it but I will leave it for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to give a detailed answer.

My general understanding is that as long as both rikishi go at the same time it doesn't really matter how that got accomplished.

Beeswax posted:

I’d rather have 5 more like him than one more Meisei or Nishikifuji

Aww what's wrong with Nishikifuji? He's barely been in the top division 2 years, are you thinking of Nishikigi?

Brut fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 7, 2024

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

This is a good question and I don't want to seem like I'm ignoring it but I will leave it for someone who actually knows what they're talking about to give a detailed answer.

My general understanding is that as long as both rikishi go at the same time it doesn't really matter how that got accomplished.

They go through stages where they let people do whatever as long as it's somewhat to both when go time is, but then every couple years they'll reset and have a tourney or two where they call matta on everything. Then once everyone is used to it, they'll loosen up the calls and guys get more slack on getting their fists all the way down until it gets out of hand and they crack down again.

But generally it seems like the lower ranked guy is supposed to set first and the higher ranker gets to decide when to go if both guys want to wait. There's been a couple matches where Hak and the other Y/O boys get noticeably pissed at some maegashira upstart for trying to play mind games with them.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 7, 2024

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

pseudodragon posted:

They go through stages where they let people do whatever as long as it's somewhat to both when go time is, but then every couple years they'll reset and have a tourney or two where they call matta on everything. Then once everyone is used to it, they'll loosen up the calls and guys get more slack on getting their fists all the way down until it gets out of hand and they crack down again.

Sure but in the video I linked (and really, any video you click if you look up 1960s/1970s sumo) they're not even putting their hands down anywhere near the ground, they're basically rushing at eachother from a mildly bent standing position, so I'm not really sure how we got from that to the fists having to actually touch the ground.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Brut posted:

Aww what's wrong with Nishikifuji? He's barely been in the top division 2 years, are you thinking of Nishikigi?

No, Nishikigi is a recognizable, adorable, blind ball.

Nishikifuji belongs with Meisei in the "men without qualities" box. There is nothing to remember about him, good or bad.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Beeswax posted:

"men without qualities" box. There is nothing to remember about him, good or bad.

Every basho there’s a bout or two where I’m like “I have no idea who the gently caress this is” and it turns out it’s one or two men without qualities that I’ve been watching for like 6 years now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I like Meisei :(

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I love Abi and his big dumb face.

some kinda jackal posted:

Every basho there’s a bout or two where I’m like “I have no idea who the gently caress this is” and it turns out it’s one or two men without qualities that I’ve been watching for like 6 years now.

That's Tobizaru for me as well as... somone else with a T-name I don't remember.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Posting just to say I like Meisei too.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

Meisei all day

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Here are Meisei's qualities.

28 years old and in Sumo since 2011, which means he came up completely though the stable system rather than coming from university Sumo or even high school Sumo.
Was in sanyaku for the second half of 2021. 2 Kinboshi, one of which is the recent one which is almost luck of who gets paired with a very injured Terunofuji, but his first one last year was against an otherwise undefeated Terunofuji (finished 14-1).
His real first name is Meisei. He's kind of living proof that the sumo system still works.

Nishikifuji as I mentioned has just not been in the top division that long, only 10 tournaments technically. (but 2 years because there's a brief drop to Juryo in there)

I remember him being quite fun his first 2 or 3 tournaments but I'm also probably somewhat mixing up my feelings about Midorifuji and Nishikifuji, since they came up around the same time and I was definitely mixing them up at first.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Midorifuji is cool because he’s the first small guy since I’ve started watching who can really hang with the big guys.

Sorry Enho, you burned so brightly and briefly.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

How can anyone forget Tobizaru’s beautiful face and skincare routines

MyChemicalImbalance
Sep 15, 2007

Keep on smilin'

:unsmith:

Shiroc posted:

Midorifuji is cool because he’s the first small guy since I’ve started watching who can really hang with the big guys.

During a Tobizaru-Midorifuji bout the commentary mentioned they were the shortest two rikishi in the division, for some reason that blew my mind, I knew Midorifuji was a lil dude but Tobizaru just looks taller but he isn't?? :confused:

Midorifuji's katasukashi owns though, so satisfying seeing him pull it off days in a row.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Here's the banzuke with Height/Weight shown (it's just a checkbox on the left)

Here's a query for the top 2 divisions that actually lets you sort by height or weight

Here's a similar query but for all 6 divisions and some extra fields selected, I expected a bunch of the shortest guys to be brand new because of the rule changes, but most of them have been around a few years. The "Hatsu" column is when they started Sumo.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Roctavian posted:

Or his wish on Tanabata, when most of his colleagues wanted an injury-free basho and a kachikoshi. Tobi wanted to be beautiful. :allears:

(Oho wanted Pokémon cards.)

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.

Hirayuki posted:

Or his wish on Tanabata, when most of his colleagues wanted an injury-free basho and a kachikoshi. Tobi wanted to be beautiful. :allears:

(Oho wanted Pokémon cards.)

I don't get it. Why wish for something you already have?

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Tobizaru has 20kg on Midorifuji, so he's a bit bigger of a guy even if their listed heights are similar.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Roctavian posted:

He's burned into my mind forever since seeing this amazing performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJxwKP_x2Y

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Dimebags Brain posted:

He's burned into my mind forever since seeing this amazing performance:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEJxwKP_x2Y

ok that is hilarious

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Brut posted:

Here's the banzuke with Height/Weight shown (it's just a checkbox on the left)

Here's a query for the top 2 divisions that actually lets you sort by height or weight

Here's a similar query but for all 6 divisions and some extra fields selected, I expected a bunch of the shortest guys to be brand new because of the rule changes, but most of them have been around a few years. The "Hatsu" column is when they started Sumo.

The weight thing got me wondering again about how often it's updated -- from what I can see it's not done so per-basho, ran into this a bit ago while doing a bit of Sumo data visualization.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Kerrzhe posted:

ok that is hilarious

It's the funniest match ever

NuclearPotato
Oct 27, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ce3ZjjyezUU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Iron Chef Nex posted:

The weight thing got me wondering again about how often it's updated -- from what I can see it's not done so per-basho, ran into this a bit ago while doing a bit of Sumo data visualization.

Yeah, sumodb doesn't update too often. I think the JSA site updates anytime they do official weigh ins but I don't know if there's a way to scrape it.

There's some guys with pretty big discrepancies. Takakeisho is listed on the JSA site as 165 kg and 183 on sumo db (March 2021 measurement)

JSA: https://www.sumo.or.jp/EnSumoDataRikishi/profile/3582/
sumodb: https://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?r=12191

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tobi caught such hell from that match. Bless his heart, he was trying but you could see the "alright now what" gears turning. His brand of sumo has improved greatly, but he'll forever be known for that fight.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Isn't the other part of the lore here that Hakuho turned around and did the same thing to ... Shodai(?) later in the tournament?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Iron Chef Nex posted:

Yeah this came up recently and

Brut posted:

I think at least once a year but also whenever they have medical checkups (which might be more frequent? not sure), but I don't think sumodb pulls that data automatically, but rather requires manual update.

For example Shodai is currently listed at 160kg, on June 2nd he was listed as 161kg, on March 19th he was listed as 160kg, on January 26th he was listed as 163kg, on September 12th 2022 he was listed as 162kg, etc. (Specific dates just because those were the snapshots available on wayback machine)

Point is that SumoDB is not a reilable source for height/weight information, unfortunately.

So I think whatever you're seeing on the official sumo association website should be considered very recent, maybe even every basho? Can't take that long to have guys step on a scale, particularly if it is just Sekitori. SumoDB does tell you specifically when data was pulled if you go to the individual wrestler page, and it is still nice to see historical (though infrequent) data, like seeing Hakuho start his career at 80kg.

edit: oh wait, you're who I replied to originally back then, oops.

Brut fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Apr 9, 2024