Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Nativity In Black posted:

Isn't the other part of the lore here that Hakuho turned around and did the same thing to ... Shodai(?) later in the tournament?

Day 14 of the same tourney.

The Tobi match seemed like "You think you're hot poo poo? Come at me at find out, I'll give you a free shot" intimidation.

The Shodai match seems to be Hak being worried because no one (including Shodai) has any idea what Shodai will do and just seeing what happens until he realizes has nothing to worry about.

https://youtu.be/F1_lPza2ZG4?si=9xt9Z-IBwdm_qsX_

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
I guess there's a documentary out there that goes over the whole tournament (This is Hakuho's last iirc). I haven't been able to find it anywhere.

Edit: I guess that's because I was trying to go by what I thought to be the title. I think this may be it:https://youtu.be/XApsMOJyB9U?si=pkd-6gzwNyYNtRNv

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Apr 9, 2024

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Tobi is on the record as saying he goes into each bout with no plan or strategy whatsoever. Sometimes it works in his favor, because he's not mentally locked into any one tactic that he might find hard to abandon if things start going south; he's quick enough on his feet that he can often adapt to a shifting situation, and it can work out very well for him. But sometimes...not so much.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

When it works, it really works, but when it fails, it Shodai level fails.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Tobizaru is by far the wrestler that smiles the most when he loses (most don't smile at all, even when they win!), as far as I can tell he just likes fun and interesting sumo. Come to think of it, does anyone remember Tobizaru ever trying a henka?

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Was it Hakkaku who had a remark after one of Tobi's good results that was something like "it's good to see he's stopped doing sumo that belongs in the circus" or something to that effect?

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing

Brut posted:

Yeah this came up recently and

So I think whatever you're seeing on the official sumo association website should be considered very recent, maybe even every basho? Can't take that long to have guys step on a scale, particularly if it is just Sekitori. SumoDB does tell you specifically when data was pulled if you go to the individual wrestler page, and it is still nice to see historical (though infrequent) data, like seeing Hakuho start his career at 80kg.

edit: oh wait, you're who I replied to originally back then, oops.

What is a forum for, other than having the same conversations again and again! Seriously, thanks again for the tips on getting more up-to-date numbers!

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

whats for dinner posted:

Was it Hakkaku who had a remark after one of Tobi's good results that was something like "it's good to see he's stopped doing sumo that belongs in the circus" or something to that effect?

I thought that was the YDC grumbling and grumping about Ura because they dislike all that is fun and good.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Brut posted:

Tobizaru is by far the wrestler that smiles the most when he loses (most don't smile at all, even when they win!), as far as I can tell he just likes fun and interesting sumo. Come to think of it, does anyone remember Tobizaru ever trying a henka?

Ura is a huge smiler too! :)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007

Ice Phisherman posted:

It's hard to tell while he's doing flips!

wodin
Jul 12, 2001

What do you do with a drunken Viking?

pseudodragon posted:

The Shodai match seems to be Hak being worried because no one (including Shodai) has any idea what Shodai will do and just seeing what happens until he realizes has nothing to worry about.

Shodai had also been incredibly passive the entire tournament, to the point where commentators were calling out that he wasn't doing sumo appropriate for his rank. A lot of people thought Hakuho's gambit was a way of reminding him that without both people striving to win sumo sorta turns weird. In retrospect that tournament was the start of Shodai's decline, but at the time it was mostly just confusing and unusual.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS
Someone pointed out that it coincided with his favourite anime getting cancelled

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
I would love to know what Shodai's favorite anime is

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Ice Phisherman posted:

the Ura/Tobizaru matches that end with some wacky bullshit and then both of them have a look on their face like they just got away with a great prank are great.

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Elephant Ambush posted:

I would love to know what Shodai's favorite anime is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2s6i_PtOSo

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

14 minute well researched video that concludes "Shodai"

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Shiroc posted:

14 minute well researched video that concludes "Shodai"

As any proper video about Shodai should.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

lmao I love her videos

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1778227087910097092
Rest in power, Akebono. :smith:

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
gently caress

Akebono was literally the guy who got me into sumo back in '96

:(

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Akebono had to beat both the hana brothers and the rest of the Fujishima stable who never had to face each other and still won 10. A legend.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Great Muta and Yingling the Erotic Terrorist must be beside themselves. It's always a tragedy when parents outlive their baby boy.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Elephant Ambush posted:

gently caress

So I have to know, how did you watch sumo all the way back in '96?

I thought I was smart because I found original episodes of Dragonball at six in the morning for Saturday morning cartoons in the mid nineties.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://ameblo.jp/masaru-hanada/entry-12847930204.html
From Uncle Waka:

DeepL posted:

A rival, a friend, a colleague with whom I shared many hardships and joys, has departed. 

I have been asked to comment on the news of Akebono's passing, but I am in no condition to talk about it due to the shock, so I apologize and will try to put it in writing.

I can't find any words to send them off due to the suddenness of the situation. We have both worked hard away from the association but even though we are apart we have always been in each other's hearts. 

I was talking with Akebono about meeting under a tree in Hawaii with all my classmates when I get older. I just miss you so much because I couldn't fulfill that promise.

I'll see you under the tree in Hawaii.
:smith:

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Elephant Ambush posted:

gently caress

Ok now I feel loving old since my first sumo memories were watching Takanohana struggle throughout 1993 and 1994 to reach Yokozuna and Akebono was almost always the massive wall in his way.

RIP to the best tsuppari guy of all time IMO. May he be launching fools into the 5th row in the afterlife.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B_5p_FiANQ

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

54 years old. Woof :[

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Ice Phisherman posted:

I thought I was smart because I found original episodes of Dragonball at six in the morning for Saturday morning cartoons in the mid nineties.

I was actually in Japan studying abroad for the summer :)

I wasn't able to watch every match of every basho after that summer but I was in college at the time so I could at least read results and watch low res clips that people would post

I dropped off sumo once the woman who is now my wife moved in with me in 2000 and, to my dismay, I missed out on the entirety of Hakuho's career :(

It's been really fun catching up on everything that's happened since I got back into sumo last July

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Elephant Ambush posted:

I dropped off sumo once the woman who is now my wife moved in with me in 2000 and, to my dismay, I missed out on the entirety of Hakuho's career :(

It's been really fun catching up on everything that's happened since I got back into sumo last July

July would have been a great jumping on point. Missing out on Hak's dominance sucks but coming in right at the transition is a good place to start. You already got to see the birth of 3 new Ozeki plus what could be a golden generation in the making with Onosato, Atamifuji, Takerufuji, Hakuoho, etc.

It's like you missed the season finale/close of a big arc of a show but jumped in right at the start of the next big thing so you're on the same page as everyone else and not missing out on the big storylines.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

pseudodragon posted:

July would have been a great jumping on point. Missing out on Hak's dominance sucks but coming in right at the transition is a good place to start. You already got to see the birth of 3 new Ozeki plus what could be a golden generation in the making with Onosato, Atamifuji, Takerufuji, Hakuoho, etc.

It's like you missed the season finale/close of a big arc of a show but jumped in right at the start of the next big thing so you're on the same page as everyone else and not missing out on the big storylines.

Yeah it's been great so far but Teru got injured in July and I really didn't get to see him at full power until January

The new Ozeki and the new batch of young guys fighting their way through the veterans have been a lot of fun to watch

Also, Shodai

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does anyone with more familiarity with that era of sumo have any thoughts on Akebono's style? He was huge, of course, but it seems kinda like when people say that Mike Tyson was just strong. He developed a world-class style based on his strengths!

I've read sumo grognards say that he relied too much on striking, and read other people say that he was part of a growing emphasis on a powerful tachi-ai, but I have no idea really.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Halloween Jack posted:

Does anyone with more familiarity with that era of sumo have any thoughts on Akebono's style? He was huge, of course, but it seems kinda like when people say that Mike Tyson was just strong. He developed a world-class style based on his strengths!

I've read sumo grognards say that he relied too much on striking, and read other people say that he was part of a growing emphasis on a powerful tachi-ai, but I have no idea really.

I did a post comparing Akebono's tsuppari to Abi's a few years ago.

anakha posted:

Check out Akebono's footwork when he starts the match here. Starts far back because he doesn't want his opponent to have a chance to reach for his belt, but also steps forward with hand thrusts that start out with his arm not fully extended before making contact. The combination of both allows him to shove with a lot of force and send Takanohana stumbling back. He continues to plant his feet well with every step forward to generate max force. Note as well that he is able to do powerful thrusts with both hands so that he continues the pressure with every step forward.

Compare that to Abi's bout against Myogiryu from the other day. Abi starts the match by standing up then leaning forward without taking any forward steps. He also tends to thrust with his arms already extended forward before making contact. That start doesn't generate a lot of force in his hand thrusts so Myogiryu is actually able to stand his ground. As the match progresses, he continues to lean heavily forward with arms fully extended, and you can see that when he steps forward in that stance, half the time he's not able to plant his feet properly (watch how many times his feet fail to find purchase in the dirt) and so doesn't generate as much force in his thrusts as he could. Also in comparison to Akebono, Abi can only really shove forward with his right hand, and he uses his left more to ward off his opponent. That means he's not able to maintain consistent pressure and his opponents only need to defend against his right hand.

And you can see how elite his striking was against arguably the greatest Japanese yokozuna of the modern era.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLFYuyJTxGI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ipBrvlIR6c

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Thanks! It's really impressive the way he seems to lean all his weight on Takanohana without allowing him to just sidestep and e.g. hikiotoshi. Controlled yet unrelenting offense.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ice Phisherman posted:

It was easier in the U.K. to watch sumo in the late 80s/90s than today because of Transworld Sport that would show whole days of the Makuuchi divisions bouts.

Rags to Liches
Mar 11, 2008

future skeleton soldier

ESPN also used to show sumo for a couple years in the mid 90s, but then they decided to rerun sportscenter all day.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Akebono highlights used to make it to Nine's Wide World of Sports saturday and sunday afternoon sports anthology shows back in the 90s I'm pretty sure

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Apr 13, 2024

MalarkeyToboggan
Jan 4, 2015

Bad week for former yokozuna. Asashoryu announced on Instagram that he's going through treatment for cancer. Hopefully he can beat it

https://twitter.com/SumoFollower/status/1779789931818176571?t=SqkcHgTXM45J2v06Iui6KA&s=19

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Was this posted here yet?

American Pizazz Meets the Staid Traditions of Sumo

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ice Phisherman posted:

There was a brief time in the late 90's when sumo was on ESPN late at night. That's when I first saw it, and came back to it like 20 years later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

There've been some changes to the tachiai: a new "get ready" phrase from the shinpan and a more tightly regulated requirement that all four rikishi hands are actually touching the dohyo before the bout begins. Despite the headline making it sound like the changes are only for amateur sumo, I believe they apply to professional-level sumo as well; am I reading it right?

For amateur sumo, a fresh start offers hope against time-wasting and gamesmanship