Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Well that was a disaster of a day. 1-4 and Tsurugisho finished in a wheelchair :(

I will trade Tsurugisho for Tochiozan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

honestly i can't imagine any currently active and ranked rikishi dominating two tournaments in a row. there's good fights and good fighters, but i don't see any that look capable of going above and beyond the competition at this stage.

someone will emerge though.
Takakeisho put up a Yusho/junyusho streak in his Ozeki run and barring injury, has put up 10+ tourneys pretty consistently so he’s already shown he can hit the highs needed and the consistency to not have a stinker that throws his run off. At 23 and no one else in his age bracket quite up to his level yet, he’s got a window for a couple championships if the vets dropping off is a permanent thing.

Even if he can’t put together 2 wins, I could see him going on a Kise-like run of multiple junyusho capped with a big win.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

pseudodragon posted:

Takakeisho put up a Yusho/junyusho streak in his Ozeki run and barring injury, has put up 10+ tourneys pretty consistently so he’s already shown he can hit the highs needed and the consistency to not have a stinker that throws his run off. At 23 and no one else in his age bracket quite up to his level yet, he’s got a window for a couple championships if the vets dropping off is a permanent thing.

Even if he can’t put together 2 wins, I could see him going on a Kise-like run of multiple junyusho capped with a big win.

that's a drat fine case you've put together there and you're right at 23 he's got the experience and the potential. his injury history is what gives me pause though. is it normal to have had as many injuries as he's had at this age?

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
I just learned about an unusual rikishi by the name of Akinoshima Katsumi who spent 15 years in the makuuchi division maxing out at the rank of sekiwake. He is remarkable for earning 16 kinboshi over the course of his career meaning that in the final few years of his career he was earning more in yokozuna killing bonuses than some people earn at their 9-5. That's pretty drat cool.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

that's a drat fine case you've put together there and you're right at 23 he's got the experience and the potential. his injury history is what gives me pause though. is it normal to have had as many injuries as he's had at this age?

Not sure about the injuries, but he also seems smart enough to take the long view. Like when he lost his Ozeki rank, his interviews sounded like he was making an active decision to stay out and forfeit his rank rather than roughing it out and fighting hurt so he may have taken the kyujo where others might have put out a 5-10 stinker.

IIRC, he said stuff about needing to get healthy so he can have a long career and that he was young enough that he’d regain any lost rank eventually rather than the expected bs about trying hard to make the next tourney to defend his honour.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Chiganoura-oyakata deserves a lot of credit for keeping Takakeisho strong. From what I remember when he got his injury that lost him ozeki the first time he wanted to fight through it, and then later he tried to come back and fight again before he was fully healed up, and both times Chiganoura didn't let him compete, even though it cost him ozeki. That's amazing foresight and discipline, and as a result we have a Takakeisho that's probably at about 85-90% right now, and who will probably be back at 100% at Haru. Bruce on Tachiai pointed out that Taganoura-oyakata, by contrast, let both Kisenosato and Takayasu get injured and keep fighting, and now Kise is retired and Takayasu looks weak and disordered, when he should have been in contention to make yokozuna.

It would be great if some lessons are taken from Takakeisho/Chiganoura, but honestly who knows.

Marching Powder posted:

ooo, i just had an idea. is there a prize for the fantasy basho champion? if there isn't, i'm willing to donate a new avatar / plat to the winner just to make things a bit more fun. please just let me know if ya'll want me to stand by this.

We've never had a prize for fantasy before, but it sounds fun to me! So far it's just been for fun/bragging rights, but I think things like this are always more fun with stakes.

Mekchu posted:

I'm gonna hop on the Salt Bae bandwagon and drop Tsurugisho for him.

Just in time! Trade registered.

fisting by many posted:

Well that was a disaster of a day. 1-4 and Tsurugisho finished in a wheelchair :(

I will trade Tsurugisho for Tochiozan

Trade registered.

Day 6 standings

code:
Bentai		20
bessantj	14
fisting by many	16.5
Kenning		18
Marching Powder	14
Martytoof	16
Mekchu		14.5
ratmosphere	16
Rigel		17
Robviously	21
Scythe		13
sivad		15
Spokes		15
Thauros		14

Kenning fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jan 17, 2020

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

[quote="Kenning" post=""501741394”"]

It would be great if some lessons are taken from Takakeisho/Chiganoura, but honestly who knows.
[/quote]

I hope Kise is a good coach as he might actually be influential enough to change things. He sounds like he realizes how screwed up he was so if he can develop a couple high profile guys and manage them with a sane sports medicine program, even grumpy old men are going to have to at least think it might be legit if a former Yokozuna is on board.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Kenning posted:

We've never had a prize for fantasy before, but it sounds fun to me! So far it's just been for fun/bragging rights, but I think things like this are always more fun with stakes.

i agree! avatar or plat it is!

i'll hit up the winner in the aftermath and sort you out. if you love your current avatar and already have plat you can magnanimously offer the reward up to others and i'll still honour it. if the winner happens to be an rear end in a top hat who wants to bestow a specific avatar onto someone else.... well, you did win. i'll honour that too.

good luck all! may your fat men triumph.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For a prize why not do a gangtag thing (eg proposting championship) like we are doing for the UFC Fantasy & Drawing Tournament? That way you can keep your avatar and have a specific one. I'm making the UFC and Drawing ones this weekend so I can make a Hatsu Basho one as well.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Gang tag sounds super cool! I'd love to see Fantasy Sumo championship tags going around.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

For a prize why not do a gangtag thing (eg proposting championship) like we are doing for the UFC Fantasy & Drawing Tournament? That way you can keep your avatar and have a specific one. I'm making the UFC and Drawing ones this weekend so I can make a Hatsu Basho one as well.

that's a wonderful idea. if possible, could you do a gang tag (for the general population) and the same thing but with 'best at picking which fat man will triumph most often' or something more succinct in shiny lettering for the prize?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Marching Powder posted:

that's a wonderful idea. if possible, could you do a gang tag (for the general population) and the same thing but with 'best at picking which fat man will triumph most often' or something more succinct in shiny lettering for the prize?

Goonzeki.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Dias posted:

Goonzeki.

Yokogoona?

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Goonsho

Alternatively, Shugoon-sho

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I like goonzeki as a suggestion. Thought I didn't play fantasy which I guess puts me not even in goonochuki since I have yet to do gaezumo

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
General Goonzeki Gang tag

Illustrious Basho Yūshō tag for the winner (the Japanese says Basho Yūshō jfyi)

I don't know how to check if they're acceptable gang tag sizes or not.

I'm off to open mat for the afternoon so if there's any changes needed just let me know. I'll PM Jerusalem once we feel the tags are good or not.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Jan 18, 2020

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Mekchu posted:

General Goonzeki Gang tag

Illustrious Basho Yūshō tag for the winner (the Japanese says Basho Yūshō jfyi)

I'm off to open mat for the afternoon so if there's any changes needed just let me know. I'll PM Jerusalem once we feel the tags are good or not.

i beg your pardon i wasn't aware i had been posting with a genius

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mekchu posted:

General players tag

Illustrious Basho Yūshō tag for the winner

:eyepop:

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

I read the whole thread and uh watched pretty much every video linked in it today. Sumo is awesome - I feel bad about never giving it the time of day before.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

schwein11 posted:

I read the whole thread and uh watched pretty much every video linked in it today. Sumo is awesome - I feel bad about never giving it the time of day before.

about 2 weeks ago youtube randomly recommended i watch this tochinoshin guy and 15 minutes later i was wondering why i hadn't been watching this poo poo my entire life. welcome!

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

fisting by many posted:

That is incredible.

Was he held back by having to face dominant Yokozuna/Ozeki? Or was it a consistency thing -- he could hang with anyone but just never managed to go on a run?
The latter, I think - he never got the 33 wins over three basho that's the general standard for making Ozeki. Now if it was up to me, I'd have just promoted him after his second runner-up result in 2003 where he got 50 wins across five basho, but hey I'm not a crotchety old man on the YDC, so what do I know?

My second go-to for awful non-promotions is Miyabiyama, the saddest man in Sumo when I started watching:

A university champion, he started at the bottom of the Makushita, and had one of the most amazing starts to any career in history - he made Makuuchi in his 5th tournament having won all four of the lower division basho on his way up. Two years after he first stepped on to the ring, he was Ozeki, after a contentious promotion meeting where the YDC split 7-3.

His Ozeki record wasn't that good - after the first losing record he spent a year pulling off 8-7 and 9-6, then after an 7-8 in 2001 he got injured and pulled out of his kadoban tourney. He sat out the next 6 months and came back as mid-level Maegashira. He was never quite the same after that - he posted more wins than losses, he was consistently in the upper end of Makuuchi, but he didn't seriously challenge to regain Ozeki rank, until five years later he suddenly did. A series of winning records in 2006 brought him back to Komusubi, and from there, to everyone's surprise, he put an Ozeki run together:

34 wins over three basho - one more than the minimum. He lost to the lone yokozuna, Asashoryu, both times he faced him, but went 9-3 against the current Ozeki. In the summer tourney, he finished as joint leader after 15 days and lost in a play-off decider against an up-and-coming young talent called Hakuho.

After the Nagoya basho in July the YDC met, and for the first time in 50 years they turned to a guy who'd met or exceeded all their criteria and said No. Not good enough. gently caress you.

He kept going for another six years after that, but he never put another run together. Like I said, saddest man in Sumo. :smith:

Apraxin fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 18, 2020

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tsurugisho managed to win with a wrecked knee thanks to Ishiura’s overeagerness.

Oh wow. Kizakiumi just had his neck “taped up” for his fight. He’s the one that got the vertebrae injury yesterday.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Spoke to Jerusalem, once we've agreed on if these tags are acceptable by everyone here he can upload them and assign the Goonzeki Gang to those that want it, and then the Yokogoona tag for the winner of the fantasy points when that comes up. I'll let him know come Monday so everyone can see the tags and give their feedback and allow me time to make corrections.

Also for the Basho tag, I spoke to a Goon who speaks Japanese and they said as far as they know the Japanese is correct and in the right order but if anyone wants to double check that please do as I don't want to screw up the Japanese bit. (specifically if the order is correct or not).

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Those gang tags look awesome. The complete opposite of my picks :saddowns:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

I think you can assume the agreement for the tags is universal and just open the floor for anyone to voice dissent for 24 hours then seal the deal.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I fully expect Kotoshogiku to be a pile of tape with eyes by the end of the year.

You can really see the difference in footwork and fundamentals between the tsuppari of Takakeisho and thaat of Abi.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
What does the referee keep shouting while the match is ongoing?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beeswax posted:

What does the referee keep shouting while the match is ongoing?

He's yelling insults about each guys mom to get them motivated to throw their oponnent.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Usually it's either hakkiyoi or nokatta, both basically just encouragement for the two to do their best.

Dr. Miracle
Feb 13, 2008

born to shart

anakha posted:

You can really see the difference in footwork and fundamentals between the tsuppari of Takakeisho and thaat of Abi.

Could you explain what you mean here? I want to know what to look for. Uh maybe after the spoiler embargo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
The tags look awesome but could you clarify the Kanji? I think you have "場所" in there (which google tells me is place/location?) but I can't manage to identify the other ones.

Wasn't someone in the lower maegashira taken out of the arena with a wheelchair yesterday? How has nobody pulled out today, I think it was Tsurugisho?

anakha posted:

I fully expect Kotoshogiku to be a pile of tape with eyes by the end of the year.

I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire this year.

Day 7:
That was not a henka by Tochinoshi, Takarafuji was way too low Tochi didn't even have to move anywhere.edit: fixed weird typo wtf is loud.

Brut fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 18, 2020

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Dr. Miracle posted:

Could you explain what you mean here? I want to know what to look for. Uh maybe after the spoiler embargo.

No prob, you can actually start by looking at Abi's past matches since there's no need to spoil those. Compare his footwork and thrusting style to that of Akebono's, which I linked in the previous page. Their styles are similar enough to be used for comparison.

Check out Akebono's footwork when he starts the match here. Starts far back because he doesn't want his opponent to have a chance to reach for his belt, but also steps forward with hand thrusts that start out with his arm not fully extended before making contact. The combination of both allows him to shove with a lot of force and send Takanohana stumbling back. He continues to plant his feet well with every step forward to generate max force. Note as well that he is able to do powerful thrusts with both hands so that he continues the pressure with every step forward.

Compare that to Abi's bout against Myogiryu from the other day. Abi starts the match by standing up then leaning forward without taking any forward steps. He also tends to thrust with his arms already extended forward before making contact. That start doesn't generate a lot of force in his hand thrusts so Myogiryu is actually able to stand his ground. As the match progresses, he continues to lean heavily forward with arms fully extended, and you can see that when he steps forward in that stance, half the time he's not able to plant his feet properly (watch how many times his feet fail to find purchase in the dirt) and so doesn't generate as much force in his thrusts as he could. Also in comparison to Akebono, Abi can only really shove forward with his right hand, and he uses his left more to ward off his opponent. That means he's not able to maintain consistent pressure and his opponents only need to defend against his right hand.

Basically, Abi has relatively lovely footwork and is only dangerous when thrusting with his right hand. That doesn't mean he's bad per se (his ranking clearly proves otherwise), but those flaws will probably keep him from advancing and maintaining high ranks unless he works on them, since he has no belt game to speak of.

I'll go into Takakeisho later since this post is already long enough, but you can start by looking at how he starts the match in terms of footwork and how/where he plants his hands when he thrusts.

anakha fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Jan 18, 2020

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Marching Powder posted:

I think you can assume the agreement for the tags is universal and just open the floor for anyone to voice dissent for 24 hours then seal the deal.

do i have to play in the fantasy league to get them? because i want the tag pls

e: as long as i can keep my other tag too

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

nah you just need to play the fantasy for the chance to be yokogoona. paying your 10 dollars gets you to goonzeki.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Brut posted:

Day 7:
That was not a henka by Tochinoshi, Takarafuji was way too loud Tochi didn't even have to move anywhere.

Oh, absolutely. I mostly like henka, but I understand why people complain about some of the more blatant side-steps at the tachiai. Others, like the one you mentioned, are the obvious response to someone who is charging too low, or who didn't keep their eyes on you. Perfectly correct strategy.

I'm stoked on the gang tags! Someday I'll be Yokogoona.

Day 6 standings:

code:
Bentai		23
bessantj	18
fisting by many	18.5
Kenning		21
Marching Powder	17
Martytoof	19
Mekchu		17.5
ratmosphere	21
Rigel		20
Robviously	23
Scythe		18
sivad		18
Spokes		19
Thauros		17

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Brut posted:

The tags look awesome but could you clarify the Kanji? I think you have "場所" in there (which google tells me is place/location?) but I can't manage to identify the other ones.

Wasn't someone in the lower maegashira taken out of the arena with a wheelchair yesterday? How has nobody pulled out today, I think it was Tsurugisho?

I'd be surprised if he doesn't retire this year.

Day 7:
That was not a henka by Tochinoshi, Takarafuji was way too low Tochi didn't even have to move anywhere.edit: fixed weird typo wtf is loud.

I posted it with the tag but it says "Basho Yusho" (via the Japanese on this wiki page https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glossary_of_sumo_terms)

I also asked a Goon who speaks Japanese if it was right and they said they were the correct words. The only bit they werent 100% on is if it is supposed to be "Basho Yusho" or "Yusho basho" but they figured "Basho yusho" is correct as Yusho is a title like Sensai or whatever and that the title follows a noun but again, they're not 100% certain.

Lone Goat posted:

I thought having the general tag just meant you were a Sumo watching Goon.

Mekchu fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Jan 18, 2020

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Brut posted:

Day 7:

Yeah, Takarafuji was extremely low, I don't know what he was going for but I don't see what else Tochinoshin could have done.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Why do so many fans seem to hate the henka move?

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Post your favorite henkas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKQfF6vlRHE&t=360s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Bentai posted:

Why do so many fans seem to hate the henka move?

rndmnmbr posted:

I can see why a henka is legal but frowned on. Seeing someone be clever on occasion is fun, but seeing everyone be clever all the time defeats the purpose of watching obese men imitate a freight train collision.

I'm here for the fat men fighting, not the fat men artfully dodging.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jan 18, 2020