Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Y/O
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K
Kiribayama
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5
Takayasu
Kinbozan
Kotoshoho

M6-10
Takanosho
Mitakuemi
Onosho

M11+
Asanoyama
Hokuseiho
Kotoeko

Y/O: Don't know which of Taka/Teru is healthier, but Taka is more desperate. He might pull a fight until he gets 8/knows he can't and pull out though.

S/K: Always root for the Ozeki/Yoko run. Unless it's like Ryuden or something.

M1-5: Tough pick between the sentimental favourite old dude and the up and comer.

M6-10: This always seems to be the boring part of the banzuke. All the really good guys maybe make a stop here on the way up, but other than that it's either guys on the way down, guys stuck in the middle here and bottom rankers who had a good tourney that are going to get wrecked.

M11+: Asanoyama destroying everyone at this level is inevitable, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Mode 7 posted:

That's true, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him kyujo before the end of the basho.

Of the outcomes both Y/O go 15 days, Taka only, Teru only or both go kyujo, I think my money would be double kyujo.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Welp, Takayasu didn't last long. I guess drop him for Kinbozan/Ura/Kotoshoho in that order.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Ehhhhhh, I don't know about that. Baruto only has 1 Yusho from Ozeki, a 14-1 losing only to Hakuho, now if you turn that to a 15-0 nothing really changes so lets look at the adjacent two Basho, the one before the Yusho, he gets an 11-4 score which actually includes beating Hakuho, he was one of 4 people to get 11-4 in that basho but the Jun-Yusho went to Wakakoyu with a 12-3, since he was at M9 he and Baruto did not fight each other that basho. Looking at the one after the Yusho he did in fact lose to Hakuho, but he also lost to Kakuryu, Kotooshu, Kotoshogiku and Kisenosato, resulting in finishing with a 10-5 which is not exactly a Yusho equivalent performance, Hakuho and Kakuryu both ended that basho with a 13-2 record so at best Baruto could've handed the Yusho to Kakuryu, and there was still Goeido with a 12-3 in between them.
Just did a super quick look at who got the Jun-Yushos in all of Hak's tourneys and assuming they win without looking at matchup changes. The biggest career changes in a world without Hak would be:

Kotomotsuki, in reality a career Ozeki but would have put up a weak YJ run that probably doesn't get him promoted but he'd be in the conversation. He was part of the gambling scandal so it would have been interesting if there was a Yokozuna involved.

Aran, a rando Russian maegashira midcarder picks up back-to-back wins in 2010. He only picked up one 10+ tourney after that so he'd go down as one of the craziest flash in the pans.

Kakuryu picks up 5 and a playoff which would bring him from 6 to 11 titles and bumps him up the Yoko tier ranks.

Kisenosato is of course, the biggest what if. He could have had another 6 with another playoff. Including a YYY streak in 2013. And if his late chokes were a mental thing, who knows what an early win does.

The other big on is Teru. His last 2 tourneys pre-injury were the classic playoff loss to Kise and a straight J to Hak. So a pre-injury promotion could have happened. In which case, does Teru take the time to heal or does he feel the same pressure as Kise to fight through it and mess himself up permanently? Or do they band together and be like "They can't get rid of both of us" and Kise has an actual post-injury career?

The only other guys with multiples Asahoryu with 3 and Harumafuji, Kotoshogiku, Goeido and Ichinojo with 2 a piece

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

We're probably going to see a bunch more *nosato and *ho dudes to join/replace the Chiyo* and Koto* guys as Kise and Hak get their teams set up.

Although for Hak, it might get a little confusing since there's Oho who's not in his stable but is literally grandfathered into the name.

Maybe some Go* guys too from Goeido with Gonoyama leading the way.

Apparently Kotoshogiku is branching off soon so we might see a bunch of little *Giku guys too.

Stable name power rankings:

1: Chiyo*: 1000 year (like ancient and wise or eternal). Can add that to just about any name and it will work. Like stable founder Chiyonofuji - Enternity of My Fuji or Chiyotairyu - Eternal Large Dragon. Been around since 67 with 3 Yokozuna and an Ozeki in charge so massive legacy points.

2: *ho: Peng, a Phoenix like mythical creature. Can't go wrong with that and lends itself to cool names like Hakuho - White Peng or Enho - Fiery Peng. Loses points for taking the name from Taiho without the direct master-apprentice relationship. Oho should be pissed if he eventually gets to run his own stable and can't pass along his grandfather's name because someone else sniped it.

2: Go*: Power/Splendour. Pretty cool. From Goeido's real name of Gotaro so bonus points for keeping both his real and sumo name alive. Can also make cool names like Gonoyama being something like Power of Mountains.

3: *nosato: Of the hometown/Village or Town of. Not very cool, but you can make it work. Kisenosato is Town of Rare Strength. Don't know how it would sound in Japanese, but Ryunosato would be pretty badass. Unlike Hakuho, gets bonus points for legacy as the name comes from Kise's stablemaster the Yokozuna Takanosato who died just before Kise made Ozeki.

4: Koto*: A harp like musical instrument. Other than huge legacy points, it's a pretty tough name to make cool. Maybe it sounds more poetic in Japanese. Also bonus points for being the former home of Kototenzan, the former WWE wrestler Earthquake.

5: *giku: like Koto, it probably sounds better in Japanese. I can see how this might work better poetically than Koto, but has no legacy to draw on if he even goes with the name.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Beeswax posted:

Very informative, thanks!

What's nishiki* ? It has taken me forever to identify/name nishikigi and nishikifuji at a glance.

Fuji/Gi aren't actually on the same team, but the Nishiki means beautiful or well dressed. Gi is tree.

So something like the Beauty of My. Fuji and Well dressed tree (it's also a specific species of tree https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euonymus_alatus but well dressed tree sounds funnier).

Nikishifuji is actually on Isegehama which is team Fuji from former Yokozuna Asahifuji, which kicks rear end for producing dudes like Yokos Teru and Harumafuji and others like Midorifuji, Takarafuji and now Atamifuji. But loses massive points for being boring and cliche.

Nishikigi's stable doesn't really have a naming convention.

Edit: Stuff about sumo names - Sumostew who is awesome and informative: https://youtu.be/PdUGHtQ-bQM and
https://youtu.be/t4bimwb6ejM

Second one specifically talks about Nishikigi the Well Dressed Tree.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 29, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Speaking of haircutting ceremonies, seems like Kakuryu's is finally happening this week, assuming nothing changed since this tweet

I've been lurking on sumoforum and ticket sales haven't been super strong, which is a problem since the ceremony is pretty big part of a guy's retirement fund.

http://www.sumoforum.net/forums/topic/12380-latest-stock-exchange-news-kabu-oyakata-transfers-etc/?page=55

The thread gets into the grey area of Kabu name transfers and fun backroom politics, which I find almost as fascinating as the fights...

While straight selling the elder stock has been officially banned for years now, with stocks officially returning to the JSA who pick the new owner apparently people can "recommend" their successor to the JSA who then just rubber stamps it.

Which makes sense for situations like Kotonwaka's dad being able to hand Sadogatake over when he retires. But for everyone who doesn't have a familial heir, it's still the same system but instead of direct sales it's hidden as *consultancy fees" or other back channel dealinga. Which kind of makes sense because Kabu holders didn't go nuclear when the change was made since they would have had to pay for the Kabu with no way of making it back.

This gets back to Kak because the rumour is he's got his hands on a the Otowayama Kabu but with the poor sales, he needs to find a way to make the 120 million yen price. Also this was the reason Ichinojo quit. He was also trying to get the same Kabu but with Kak getting it, he was locked out and with his other issues it was unlikely that other future retiring elders would want to deal with him if there were other options.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Aww wtf? Kiribayama sounds cooler :(

It's his stablemaster's old name so carrying on the legacy > cool name (though maybe Kirishima sounds cooler in Japanese).

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Ohh okay that makes sense, I keep just thinking of Kiribayama as "in Kakuryu's stable" when actually he is in the stable where Kakuryu is an assistant coach but the stable is still run by a former Ozeki. (Actually I think I just didn't even know about the former Ozeki part)

Yeah, and it's not even Kaks real stable though since he only got moved there when his stablemaster died and he needed some place to go.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For the biggest change, Harumafuji only took the name when he make ozeki. He was Ama all the way up.

If all goes according to plan, Kotonowaka would be next as he's supposed to trade up and get his grandfather's Kotozakura name if he makes Ozeki. Hoshoryu's already has his Asashoryu inspired name so I doubt he trades unless they actually give him the Asa name.

Daiesho and the Wakas have already surpassed their masters so I don't think there's a reason for them to change unless they have some other connection I don't know of.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

more like "already" 25
Kiri's 27, 2 years ago he had yet to make sanyaku. Daieshio's 29 and was hanging out at the M1-3 rank without making sanyaku at 25. Wakamotoharu was in juryo and WTK was making his Makuuchi debut. Heck, Asanoyama wasn't even sanyaku yet the first time at Koto's age and he's had an entire arc since then.

I might be missing someone since I'm just looking at years and not birth month, but it looks like the only guys that have had 3 straight sanyaku appearances (so as to not count guys that have a fluke result at a lower level and promptly get destroyed) at 25 or younger are Teru, Keisho, Abi, Ichinojo and Hosho. So he's ahead of pace of just about everyone other than the phenoms.

Ichinojo should have made Ozeki if he wasn't a lazy dumbass and Abi had his suspension just after that so who knows how his career would have gone.

He's ahead of the other former Ozeki like Takayasu, Mita and Tochi.

He might top out like Abi, but he's probably not going to flake out like Ichinojo given his background so he seems to be on track for at least a run.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 22:40 on May 31, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

I'm really not looking at age but more thinking of their actual style of Sumo and how each bout looks, I don't think it's likely that Kotonowaka will significantly change how he fights. Abi's an even more extreme version of that, he's very limited on technique variety and he's constantly putting his body way ahead of where his legs are, there's a reason his best performance (unless I'm missing something) is a 10-5 from M4 one time, I don't think there were ever realistic Ozeki hopes.

You can't really ignore his age though. Except for the superstar tier that currently consists of just Teru and Keisho, everyone else at the top took a huge leap between 25 and 28-29. I'd think it's more reasonable to assume that Koto and Hoshoryu both have another level of improvement than not.

And he doesn't even need to improve that much. He's gone a year and a half without a non-injury MK including 7 in a row at Joi where his worst result was 7-4-4 so 8-9 wins at Joi is probably his floor barring injury. He just needs to improve slightly to be a consistent 9-10 guy and then throw a lucky/overachieving tourney on top.

I don't think he'll reach Takakeisho levels of great Ozeki, borderline Yoko, but I think he can pull a Takayasu-esque career.

Heck, in 2-3 years, Teru, Kiri, Daiesho and Wakas (if they can hold/regain their current level) are all going to be on or nearing the downswing, Takakeisho could be broken, and the Hokuseiho/Hakuoho/Atamifuji/Onosato generation might not be at full power yet, leaving Hoshoryu and Koto at the top of the banzuke by default.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Looks like Ishiura just retired :(

Neck/spinal injuries suck rear end. Looks like he's sticking around with Hak as Magaki though so at least he'll do ok. I imagine he was doing the unofficial assistant coach thing anyways while he was rehabbing so this just makes it official.

https://tachiai.org/2023/06/01/ishiura-retires-becomes-magaki-oyakata/

Has a bit about the politics about him getting the name and forcing the old Magaki into retirement.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Thauros posted:

edit: oh wow, shodai is actually shodai's real name? 正(correct/righeous) 代 (generation/era) sounds like such a shikona which may be why it was kept

Just remembered that Takayasu is another one that's actually his real family name and the weirdness of the 4 Takas in Makuuchi as they are all actually different kanji and are of different origins, even the stablemates Takakeisho and Takanosho.

Takayasu's Taka means Tall, or High up. And his full name is High up and relaxed

Takarafuji's kanji is actually Takara, meaning Treasure. So he's a fake Taka that's a spy from team fuji, but Treasure Mountain is a kick-rear end name.

Takakeisho's means expensive, costly or noble, so I guess like fancy and digified? and his full name means Fancy landscape. Also, Takakeisho's dad was a huge Takanohana fanboy and Keisho's actual first name is Takanobu (Noble Faith) so his name would have actually been shikona ready.

Takanosho's is noble or prosperous. Full name Prosperous Victory.

Keisho's name comes from the great Yokozuna Takanohana while Takanosho came from Komusubi Takamisugui. Takanohana and Takamisugui were contemporaries as wrestlers but were in separate stables so their names had separate origins. Their stables were run by two brothers (Takanohana's father and uncle) so they naturally merged when the elder brother retired and I guess Takanohana and Takamisugui became buddies during this time. As a side note, this combined stable was the most stupidly OP stable ever with at one point 10 simultaneous Makuuchi members including 2 Yokozuna, 1 Ozeki and a bunch of guys floating around the K/S/Upper M ranks (One of whom was Oho's dad who is a character in his own right). Like Takanohana would regularly get to fight down to M7/8ish because of all the intra-stable matchups he got to skip.

They both later went on to run their own stables with each handing down their version of the Taka name. Then Takanohana attempted a coup on the JSA and got his rear end kicked out and his stable disbanded. His guys got merged into his old friend's team so hence 2 different kinds of Taka on the same team.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 2, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Oh yeah some actual modern training techniques in sumo could be a game changer, from what gets put out in public it seems that they're very set in tradition, and even the weight programs they do look a few decades behind most combat/contact sports.

Otoh there's this. WMH hitting heights he's never seemed able to, coupled with a juicy physique at 29? Kinda sus, maybe they are modern behind closed doors.

Yeah, they are super traditional. This does seem to be changing though. Kisenosato and I believe some other guys went to school after retiring specifically to get sports management degrees and when they were talking about the new Nishonseki stable building they were talking about modern wonders like dedicated video rooms, secondary dohyos so multiple people can practice at the same time and individual dorm rooms so people can have some privacy resting.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

No loving way. If this is at the JCCC then I am 100% going to live there for the duration. Hell I'll livestream it to you nerds.

Unless they're counting like Rama or something similarly in the middle of nowhere as Toronto, I'm probably going to check it out as it's going to be tough to not go see the GOAT if he's going to be within like an hour travel.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

That sucks. And he's only at 29 Juryo/Makuuchi basho so unless he sneaks into the next one at J15 or comes back to fight his way back into Juryo, he can't get elder status.

Dude would probably have made a pretty good coach too, since he's had to rely on pretty much perfect technique to make up for being tiny.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Fearless posted:

Would he necessarily have the funds to pay for an elder stock in the first place if he was able to just eke out the ranking requirements? Seems to me that the stocks have been getting quite expensive over recent years.

He's a pretty popular dude so I assume he's got more supporters than a guy his level wound. But I also figure Hak might have pulled some favours from his backers/fronted some bucks if he wanted to build up his staff.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Tachiai with a nice primer on how banzuke math works.

Basic formula is W-L=Rank change (ie 9-6 from M4e should equal M1e) but they do a good job explaining where the system breaks down and why with slots where there's multiple people with a claim or areas where no one deserves a place so someone has to get lucky either with a smaller than expected drop or a big promotion.

Shows how even starting from a logical point there's a lot of places where it's all just sticking leftovers into random spots.

https://tachiai.org/2023/06/11/nagoya-banzuke-crystal-ball-4/

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Lucasar posted:

A clipping from Kintamayama's newsletter:

drat! 30 kilos in just a few months is some serious weight loss. Goes to show just how much maintenance some guys put into keeping that sumo body big. I remember Harumafuji always talked about it like it was torture.

Body transformation pics of retired athletes are insane. It's either huge dudes like Rikishi and linemen shedding pounds like crazy once they go back to regular human diets or skinny dudes ballooning up because they keep the caloric intake of someone paid to work out as a full time job as their aging metabolism slows down.

Good on Tochi for finding his post-career bag. I thought he was going back since his family was still there, but I guess he's in the right business to get regular trips home paid.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Mitakuemi
Ura
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Takayasu
Oho
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Hakuoho
Gonoyama
Shonannoumi

Y/O: Taka's the only Y/O with no injury news in the last couple days. EDIT: LOL. Guess I jinxed him.
S/K: Always go with the Ozeki/Yoko run so any of these guys would be fine.
M1-5: Asanoyama would probably be the smarter pick, but I still don't like him.
M6-10: I'm sure everyone's going to be on the Hokuseiho bandwagon, so I might as well go with guys I'm probably going to get. Takayasu's down at the part of the banzuke where he can do some damage against lower rankers.
M11+: First timers are fun to root for.

pseudodragon fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 7, 2023

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Who's the most E Honda rikishi? Takakeisho? Most of the other top guys are too focused on grappling and belt work for an SF fighter. Taka's the most likely to hundred hand slap the poo poo out of someone and if he could torpedo headbutt someone IRL, that would probably be his primary attack.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Man, I jinxed Takakeisho by picking him because he was the only one that didn't have recent injury news.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

Meanwhile Gonoyama has been going through makuuchi like it's jonidan, which is much more in line with what we were told to expect from Hakuoho.

Gonoyama needs to be tearing through the lower ranks if he wants to be something. Dude's 25, if he can't win now, hes never going to. His peer group is Kotonowaka and Hoshoryu. And he's even behind Hiradoumi, Oho and Hokuseiho who are all 2 years younger.

There's like one guy in Hakuoho's year in upper Makushita and the vast majority of his peers are Sadaname or lower. Just holding his own is crazy good.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

that's.... well i wish i never asked. sorry mitak.
That sucks. If I knew that before the tourney, I would have thought the only possible results for him would have been a 15-0 triumphant win one for pops tourney or 0-15 dude is a mess and should probably stay out to not get hurt if he's not thinking straight basho.

Dude was so consistently solid for so long I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around how he's fallen so fast. For like a 6 year period, dude was almost a lock for 8-9 at S/K. Just looked up his stats and after a rough 6-9 debut at Komusubi, he went on a 5+ year run ending with his Ozeki promotion where he only had back to back MK once, his worst result was a singular 6-9 and was never lower than M3.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bessantj posted:

Oh well that's sad, the man was once 1 kk basho away from san'yaku. I wonder if he'll stay in sumo.

The sumoforum thread says he's getting the Sanoyama name and it's triggering a bunch of cascading name changes but he's got a job.

Just looked at the tournament that got him promoted to M1e and the guy that took the K spot ahead of him was just 8-7 so just one result in there swinging the right way could have been enough.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

ullerrm posted:

l would be shocked if anyone in the modern era managed to go their entire career without an MK, short of "hosed around in Jonidan for a basho or two and decided to quit early."

Only way I could see it happening at a high level would be a college guy coming in semi-formed so he skips the inevitable growing pains of a 16 year old prospect going up against grown rear end men who suffers an unfortunate catastrophic career ending injury as he hits the upper M or sanyaku ranks after just enough tournaments to fill the subjective "not just experimenting" criteria so he avoids the inevitable fluke tournament/late career struggles/minor non-kyujo but performance affecting injuries.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Flesnolk posted:

for what it's worth I'm not convinced Raiden actually existed lol, but fair enough

Also I did specifically mention Kototenzan!

I don't see any reason to doubt Raiden's existence. I'm sure stories about him are exagerated, but early 1800s is recent enough that I don't think it would be easy to invent a dude from scratch.

I'm imagining the sumo world being something like the modern lower divisions where everyone is just going off of natural ability and instinct as any sort of technique and coaching would suck. Basically, I think Raiden was just Hokuseiho in Jonokuchi and invincible due to being a freak of nature giant out bigging everyone rather than like proto-Hakuho destroying high level supposed peers.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

Thinking about it more, at his rank/score at the moment he's still very comfortably in the top division, so maybe there won't actually be retirement talk until he's in danger of falling out of Makuuchi, which might still be years away.

He's also got the Ozeki grace period so he doesn't have to get Kabu sorted right away. And being BFF with the chosen one in JSA politics probably has its advantages.

Going from 5-0 to 7 straight losses would suggest something happened health wise. Hopefully it's recoverable.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Just checking the Kabu holder list http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Kabu.aspx?sort=3 and it looks like in Nishonseki ichimon, there's one guy who's 67 and one that turns 67 in October, so even if Takayasu retires now, the old dude can still run out the clock and hand the title over when they hit mandatory retirement at 70 before Takayasu's grace period ends.

As ex-ozeki, he's probably in good shape to get the next available slot anyways (I'm assuming he won't have issues raising cash), but if not, I'm guessing that's where being buds with Kisenosato comes in and Kise can gently suggest that Takayasu would be a great successor.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Kenning posted:

I believe the precedent is quite strong that it needs to be back-to-back yusho/equivalent as an ozeki. If he were to win in September or November, and get a runner up at the other, he would get it.

I doubt they'd give him for a yusho/Jun yusho. If they didn't give it to Taka for a Y/D they ain't giving it to a younger less proven guy.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Archenteron posted:

I think Hakuho/Miyagino has said that trying to fix that is one of his long-term goals., depends on how many old men gotta cycle out of the JSA

If they don't get broken, the next generation of JSA leadership is probably going to come down to Kise/Nishonseki and Hak/Miyagino and both of them seem pretty progressive.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

anakha posted:

Just don't gently caress it up like Takanohana did.

Yeah, all Takanohana had to do was shut up and wait his turn. He's 10 years younger than Hakkaku and 12/13 years older than Hak/Kise with the only other Yokozuna of his generation still in the JSA being Musashimaru and I doubt the golden boy loses an election to a foreigner. That would have given him a nice decade long run at the top.

Hell, slow play it enough and he could probably have convinced Hakkaku to step down early before Hak/Kise got enough experience to be threats.

But between Hak watching his boys go down with injuries and Kise being the poster boy for how fighting injured can wreck a career, either should at least have the motivation to pull some reforms.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Brut posted:

I'll believe the reforms when I see them, as it is, from the videos of training and from how their guys are fighting just as injured, I'm thinking the only reforms are "we bought a brand new building" instead of "we rented a basement of an old building".

IIRC one of the features of Nishonseki's building was private rooms for lower division guys which while its probably the lowest possible bar to clear, it does show some thought for Rikishi quality of life and was apparently enough of a revolution to be brought up in the story.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

Regarding fighting injured, that starts in the heyas. 14 hour practice sessions, full contact tachisis hundreds of times a day and all that stupid poo poo that every modern sport has figured out is terrible for longevity and peak performance I predict to diminish under hak / kise

Yeah, I don't think we see any big changes in the system for years. iIRC beyond Kise, there's a couple other guys that went for Sports Science/Management degrees post-career so hopefully they do the boring stuff that doesn't make the news like proper rest and recovery between basho/contact limits/pro strength and conditioning programs.

Thauros posted:

and while yes living in a dojo every day is different from travel or training camp, there's nfl teams that don't give players their own rooms while traveling

https://nflpa.com/nfl-player-team-report-cards

Man, the NFLPA sucks rear end. Even the lovely NHLPA, which has had multiple leaders fired/arrested for professional misconduct (spying on member emails) to straight up bribery and collusion managed to get private rooms as a CBA term.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

Hakuho's pretty new as an oyakata and he wasn't unanimously supported in his role. The JSA considered making him 'apprentice' as an oyakata for a lengthy period of time before being allowed to run his own stable, they made him sign a loyalty pledge about 'maintaining the spirit of sumo', failure to maintain proper behavior could result in his kabu being revoked, etc. It's not surprising at all that he's basically toeing the line right now, because he's not particularly popular with the higher ups in the JSA.

Keeping to tradition is the smart move for him right now, because he's 38 and the Hakkaku crowd is pushing 60. Time is on his side, as long as he's patient and avoids getting forced out of the JSA early.

I think it's PR and image management but I think it's interesting how Hak and Kise have sort of switched roles in retirement. The bad boy Hak is growing the company line basically doing things old school but better, showing that he can be a good, productive member of the JSA. Meanwhile, Kise, the poster boy for proper behavior is publicly getting an education and promoting all the new stuff he is doing to position himself as a leader.

Although I think at heart, Hak has always been a traditionalist. He butt heads with the JSA and YDC, but it seemed like he always had his idea of what sumo is supposed to be and stuck with that.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

man i cannot get with this take at all. he respects sumo. he's a sumo scholar. he's the greatest practitioner the sport has ever seen. i guess i'd call him a traditionalist in the sense that he wouldn't gently caress with what he considers the soul of the sport, but i'd count on that same reverence to stand up against practices that wound the soul of the sport.

Yeah, I guess that actually describes what I think better than how I said it. A sumo philosopher that believes in the heart of sumo. I guess it comes down to what he considers fundamental to sumo life and experience vs. the dumb poo poo that should be thrown out. Like I agree that he'll stand up to what he believes is right, but I think what he considers right comes from lessons from the past and adapting and perfecting those as opposed to seeking out lessons from outside sumo.

I think his reforms would be more evolutionary, aimed at perfecting the art while preserving its soul rather than revolutionary changes no matter the origin and changing sumo to adapt if that makes sense.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

hailthefish posted:

idk ask the ncaa

Football in general has issues with someone dieing every couple years.

https://www.espn.com/espn/story/_/id/38122126/extreme-heat-poor-air-quality-raises-concerns-young-athlete-safety

Big dudes, full pads and summer heat is a horrible combo. Article says rules are getting made, but a lot of times, not until someone dies and the organization is forced to act.

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

For Toronto area fans:

https://www.insauga.com/biggest-sumo-wrestling-star-in-the-world-is-coming-to-japan-festival-in-mississauga/

https://japanfestivalcanada.com/

Hakuho will be at Japan Festival Canada in Mississauga on the 19th. Article says he'll headline the opening ceremonies at 2 and then there will be a sumo demonstration at 2:45.

Or if you have $400 to blow

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/japan-festival-canada-special-gala-dinner-tickets-692876581507

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

some kinda jackal posted:

Welp I'm sick so no Hakuho for me.

I mean I'm sure seeing the greatest Yokozuna of all time at a festival in a Canadian suburb is something I'll get to experience often so I'll just have to go next time.

Yeah, I had to miss out too. Been doing home renos and weekends are the only time to work :( being grown up sucks sometimes.