Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Mode 7 posted:

I am guessing that the old men would like it to be Wakatakakage but it will actually be Hoshoryu.

Yeah that's what I'm thinking too, though it might just end up being both of them, I'd like that. I don't think Wakamotoharu will be able to make it to the rank, but I'd be even happier if he proves me wrong, Ozeki brothers would be rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji
lol, lmao

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Nishikifuji
Midorifuji
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Oho
Hokutofuji
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Mitoryu
Kotoeshoho
Kotoeko

Brut fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 3, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

pseudodragon posted:

Kototebakari: Another Sadogatake guy at Ms19. 19 year-old up and comer should be going for sekitori soon. He's also Kotoshoho's kid brother. Also Koto guys making the Makushita > Juryo push are fun because the get to go from Koto<real name> to actual shikona.

There was a lot of hype behind the previous kototebakari (current kotoshoho) and at one point I thought he seemed more promising than Kotonowaka, but we all see now how that turned out, so I'm gonna temper my expectations this time.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Dead Goon posted:

I can't remember my picks for M6-10, were all "Ts" possible?!

Thanks Kenning!

Dead Goon posted:

M6-10:
Ura
Oho
Takanosho

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Kenning posted:

Whoops, I tried to catch everyone who would have gotten Ichi, but missed you. You've got Takanosho from Day 1.

There's another one of these btw

Kenning posted:

LlamaTrauma

Y/O: Takakeisho
S/K: Takayasu
M1-5: Abi
M6-10: Ichinojo
M11+: Okinoumi

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Day 4 (kinda)

Takarafuji is one of those guys who has never pulled out of a bout in his entire career so while he's probably not going to pull out during this basho either, that doesn't mean he isn't severely injured and basically unable to fight

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

Is it just me or does this seem like a particularly henka heavy basho?

Yes it does, there was even a double henka today!

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
day 12: More henkas more hansoku

also

Shodai.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Marching Powder posted:

really loving stupid question but what happens if people bought banners for a fight that's fusen? does the 'winner' get it or do they refund the advertisers?

I think this kind of stuff is often negotiated in advance but from what I've heard they're either transferred to a later match that day or to another match the next day

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Log082 posted:

Day 14: Shodai was ROBBED.

Huh?

If you only watch one match from day 14 it should be endo vs abi

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Shiroc posted:

I think overall Takakeisho will have earned it if he wins but I would have liked to see him pull off at least 13 wins. Unless I'm missing one, Hakuho only ever had a single 12-3 yusho and I'm going to hold his standard as my unfair bar for the rest of my life.

this is probably the actual bar to look at

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

JohnCompany posted:

The next banzuke will be interesting. Particularly what they do with sekiwake, and what they do with Asanoyama.

Eh Asanoyama will either be in a top Juryo slot or a near bottom Makuuchi slot, pretty mundane either way.

As for sanyaku hmmmmm

I'm thinking:

Sekiwake: Wakatakakage and Hoshoryu (obviously), and Kiribayama as 3rd.
Komusubi: Wakamotoharu, Kotonowaka and Daieisho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
https://twitter.com/TheSumoSoul/status/1617361100751929345

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

pseudodragon posted:

And the main problem with rank protection is that it screws over lower ranked guys in Juryo and Makushita. A guy sitting out and hogging a spot in Makuuchi means a dude in Juryo doesn't get a jump up.

Yeah imagine the logjam if guys like Kagayaki, Sadanoumi, Nishikigi and Takarafuji were sitting out every other tournament, not to mention the older past-their-prime rikishi like Myogiryu, Aoiyama, etc.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I feel like the best bet overall is somehow getting Abema to offer an international paid product, they have the infrastructure, it's all technically already set up and functional, they just need to agree to take my money.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Lid posted:

The problem is Abema looks low rent compared to the NHK English feed. It's washed out, too much information noise, and static. No cinematography, no English. The NHK feed is so much superior and its genuinely painful how hard it is to get a hold of.

That's cuz you're seeing bad rebroadcasts at like 540p or whatever, go find a working Japanese VPN and look at the actual Abema feed.

You can get an NHK feed with IPTV services, but they don't support switching over to the English broadcast unfortunately.

Brut fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jan 25, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Log082 posted:

NHK World has a free internet stream.

You can watch sumo right here:

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/

Well, okay, you can't watch it NOW, you can watch NHK Newsline, followed by "Fisherman Face Land Development: Penang, Malaysia." But the general point stands.

That's the channel that only shows the last hour of Sumo and only on Sundays.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Lid posted:

If you are in Japan with access to Japanese television how difficult is it to watch sumo?

You just turn the TV on.

I think you misread what you're replying to.

e:

verbal enema posted:

I was just being an rear end

:(

Brut fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 27, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Just realized how well former Takekaze's new recruits are doing in his newly formed Oshiogawa-beya

http://sumodb.sumogames.de/Rikishi.aspx?shikona=&heya=68&shusshin=-1&b=202301&high=-1&hd=-1&entry=-1&intai=-1&sort=1

19 year old Kazenoumi with a 6-1 Jonokuchi Yusho in his very first basho, 23 year old Kazekeno with 5 consecutive 6-1 scores, most recently in Makushita losing only to the Yusho winner Ochiai of Miyagino-beya, and 18 year old Kazeeidai with a more humble 4-3 in Jonokuchi, also in his very first basho.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Where could one go to buy this?

I dunno if this is the original source or what but this is literally the first google result for sumo cats:

https://jellybeet.com/cat-sumo-wrestlers/

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Apraxin posted:

yeah that's the same ones, looks like they were originally a gachapon-style lucky dip, but that link has the full set.

Jellybeet posted:

With this exciting blind box, it's a surprise which cute item you will receive. Which one will you get?!

I think it's still like that.

Brut fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jan 31, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
I guess now that I'm looking at it in more detail (and not quite as sleep deprived), it appears the actual manufacturer is "Re-Ment" which is a Japanese toy manufacturer, so theoretically you'd be able to find their products in various stores that carry Japanese products, Jellybeet is just the first one that came up that appears to have these in stock.

Seems like Re-Ment use the blind box model quite frequently for a variety of their product lines.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Sweet, Thanks! I'm going to Tokyo in about a week, so I'm going to keep my eyes peeled, but may just buy a set.

Good luck! I don't know if they actually sell full sets or if you'll just have to buy enough blind boxes to get lucky, assuming you can even find it in stores. If you're there long enough and/or have a local contact I'd maybe check Yahoo Auctions as people seem to use that a lot there instead of ebay.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

net work error posted:

This has gone too far.

What are the options now?

I'm assuming Natto will just keep making new channels and the takedowns will probably come too late to actually disrupt same-day watching, there's also Twitch VODs (navigate to twitch.tv/CHANNELNAME/videos and then switch the video type to "Past Broadcasts" to find these)

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

MyChemicalImbalance posted:

Kintamayama was my go to when I was thinking "oh I'd love to watch X rikishi's ozeki run" or the odd bout that came to mind, this is terrible and I only hope someone was able to grab some of his videos :(

To clarify, Kintamayama's uploads currently show up as private (as opposed to "This video is no longer available because the YouTube account associated with this video has been terminated.", which is Jason's situation) and in his video he mentioned he got a second strike, not a third, so I believe everything is still there. I do not know if he is still at risk of receiving a third strike despite all the videos being private.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Like 99% of the time I hear about Telegram it's from Russian-speaking communities, there's Russian DOTA streamers that have their own groups set up basically instead of Discord servers, and I think my mom is in a bunch of groups that share coupons and like fashion advice or something along those lines. Each server/group is completely isolated from the rest so it's not like you're gonna get exposed to nazis/isis by accessing a Sumo-related one. That being said, that still sounds like a pain in the rear end just to watch videos, I was hoping he'd just keep making new channels, since his monetization is off-site anyway.

Either way, thanks for the update!

Brut fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 4, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Double posting since this is completely unrelated:

Ajigawa, former Aminishiki, has joined the shimpan department so we will be seeing him around the dohyo in March, here he is I believe at the annual FujiTV tournament that just took place (finally back after being cancelled for the last 2 years due to covid)

https://twitter.com/sumokyokai/status/1621808919378288640

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Bentai posted:

What's the problem with Rumble, is it full of turbochuds?

Yeah from what I understand it's basically a platform explicitly set up to accommodate white supremacists and such that were kicked off of YouTube

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Is that "wifi password" in Japanese? If it's not, I bet it's on the folded up orange post-it on the right.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

So it seems like the options for March are to join Natto's telegram or follow Kintamayama on Rumble?

Eh, wait like 90~ minutes after the day ends, search youtube for sumo, then filter by "today", I'm sure something will come up.

Also you can just look through the Past Broadcasts of whoever is streaming it on Twitch, that just means you have to do your own scrolling (read: mash right arrow) between matches instead of having it conveniently cut to the relevant points.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
If there's unlisted YouTube videos linking them here is fine.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
https://twitter.com/tatsunamibeya/status/1623880474610511872
https://twitter.com/tatsunamibeya/status/1623193079477071872
https://twitter.com/tatsunamibeya/status/1623614459074994176

What's going on in these videos?

Brut fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Feb 10, 2023

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Hokutofuji is always fun to watch, I'm assuming Tobizaru counts as a fan favorite so I can't pick him. hmmm, I enjoyed Yago's matches a lot while he was coming up through Juryo, before he got injured so much it took him not only back down to Juryo, but now down to Makushita.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
At the end of the day none of what he's saying has gently caress all to do with what we actually want, we just want to see the matches, all the matches. Is there a legal way for me to do that? No. If there was, I'd use it.

Like he's talking about sumo "reporting" and all that stuff but none of that is what was actually getting hit here, nobody's getting copyright strikes because they're simply talking about Sumo.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Hoshoryu
Wakatakakage
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Mitakeumi
Midorifuji
Tamawashi

M6-10:
Takayasu
Hokutofuji
Nishikifuji

M11+:
Kinbozan
Bushozan
Hokuseiho

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

From what I remember this shouldn't really be a surprise, I think when he was originally going in to surgery they were basically outright saying he hopes to return hopefully in May but maybe in July, at least I'm pretty sure I'm not making that up.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

This is me with Bushozan. I picked the wrong debutante. And the one time I don't pick Ura he's off to a roaring start.

I still believe in Bushozan, I think he's still gonna run through all the middling older folks around his rank, Takarafuji, Kagayaki, Azumaryu, Myogiryu, Chiyoshoma, etc.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Some people aren't getting points for those days and did get in in time :(.

Wait are you saying that Kenning missed you/someone else or just the guys you picked aren't winning?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 29 days!

Archenteron posted:

Someone in the audience tonight gave a powerful "SHODAI" when he came out. Which of you was it?

It was all of us.