Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
I'd like to throw my salt into the ring

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Abi
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Hiradoumi
Oho
Myogiryu

M11+:
Kotoeko
Kagayaki
Mitoryu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Pakled posted:

Has a guy without a topknot ever won a Makuuchi Yusho before?

I seriously doubt it, but then again, Ichinojo did take jun-yusho at Aki 2014, before he had enough hair for a topknot (also his makuuchi debut).

He lost to Hakuho, incidentally, who came first in 5/6 tournaments that year. Aki 2014 was his 31st yusho.

It'd be kind of funny if Hakuoho managed the feat just because there was no Hakuho to shut him down.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

It's the shin-ozeki curse. Lots of new ozeki go kadoban their first tournament after promotion. Plus he's not MK yet.

On the other hand, shin-ozeki rarely go kadoban without withdrawing due to injury - that's only happened twice since the current kadoban rules were instituted in 1969, both times in 2000. For context, in the same period, there have been 13 newly promoted* ozeki who withdrew from competition before going make-koshi, and 63 ozeki promotions in total.

It'll be interesting to see how Hoshoryu plays the next six days.

* "newly promoted" instead of "shin-", because Tochinoshin became ozeki twice and both times withdrew from the very next tournament.

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Hey, let's give this a whirl.

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Tobizaru
Midorifuji

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Kinbozan
Atamifuji

M11+:
Tomokaze
Hiradoumi
Tamawashi

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012
Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Terunofuji

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Takayasu

M1-M5:
Abi
Gonoyama
Atamifuji

M6-M10:
Tamawashi
Hokuseiho
Hiradoumi

M11+:
Onosato
Tomokaze
Myogiryu

Juryo
Takerufuji
Kotoeko
Shirokuma

I have definitely picked some names of active sumo wrestlers before their divisions started. Godspeed fellows

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winter Stormer
Oct 17, 2012

bessantj posted:

I see people are trading Ichiyamamoto, but I will hold onto him though he drags me down like my undiagnosed manic depression.

Me, but Abi and diagnosed major depression

Still hoping he can put together a soft landing after getting through the first week, if not for himself then for Terao