Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
At this rate I fully expect WTK to pull a henka day 1 in May. I think this is the third(?) basho in a row where week 1 was just abysmal and the second week was just recovery (well, hopefully)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I always love watching the rikishi's faces after a henka.

Hoshoryu specifically has such a smug smirk when he pulls a successful one.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Not sure if this all needs spoilered, but I'll continue on. I get the impression that unless someone is actively injured, there's a bit of pressure/expectation to keep going until they just can't anymore. Tochinoshin hasn't looked good for several tournaments now and yet he's still going (well at least until today if I take the other comments here). You'd still see sparks of old Tochi every once in a while, but his knees are just loving gone, and he's still here.

Conversely, it's also really impressive that Tamawashi has managed to stay healthy

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

I agree. The monoii focused only on their feet and not on WTK's fistful of hair.

As an avowed WTK fanboy, I also noticed this. The only counterpoint I can think of is that the hair pull would not have had a material impact on the outcome of the match.... Except that WTK putting his hand there means it wasn't hitting the ground before the feet

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

MalarkeyToboggan posted:

Day 14 and look ahead to 15:

I wonder if they'll promote Kiribayama to Ozeki if he manages to win tomorrow. That would give him 31 wins in sanyaku over the last three basho with a Jun-Yusho and a Yusho. Takakeisho is kadoban in May so we might have a July basho with no Ozeki at all if they don't start promoting guys. Daieisho has a less strong case with 30 wins over three with one Yusho. It will be interesting to see what the fallout will be from this tournament.

Kiribayama is setting himself up well, but he's only been at sanyaku for two tournaments (this and the previous). I think if they feel the need to panic promote someone, it'll be Hoshoryu. If he wins tomorrow, that's 30 over the past three. All at sekiwake. He's really recovered this basho well.

In reality I expect WMH and WTK to swap spots and not much else.

Unrelated, I hope Kinbozan learns from his match today and doesn't do similar in a scenario when it costs him. Finish your plate!

Natto's channel is reporting that WTKs injury will require three months of recovery. If that's the case, I would expect him to miss May and fall about to m8. I think that's where Abi landed after missing a tournament at komusubi?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

What? He's only been Sekiwake this basho but he was Komusubi for the 3 consecutive bashos before that

I could have sworn it said different when I looked at Wikipedia earlier this morning, but clearly I'm wrong.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Fearless posted:

Is there a limit to the number of active ozeki?

Nope, has to be a minimum of two, but no max.

There were three ozeki this time last year.

Edit: There are probably practical and perhaps mathematical limits...

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Mar 27, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

some kinda jackal posted:

Woof -- not quite as optimistic that I'm going to be there for day one of May basho now :(

Oh no, I was hoping to do just this in September. Hopefully it's sorted by then?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Thauros posted:

it doesn't sound like they're banned from selling *any* tickets at least, just the "food/souvenir" set combo. still really sucks for some kinda jackal and anyone else hosed over because two people had to be idiots. i plan on going to japan either in august or november and i don't expect i'll be able to see sumo but i still hope to use them for pro wrestling tickets as i did in 2019.

Yeah, I was actually wanting to do that combo. Sumo Prime Time did a video about it during the January tournament and it looked like an interesting experience.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Isn't keisho also injured? I seem to recall he was out at the end of the last tournament with an injury suspected to take multiple months to heal.

I think I'll also skip this tournament. Congrats in advance to asanoyama getters. I suspect he'll tear up the lower ranks.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Average Lettuce posted:

Day 3:

Asanoyama seemed to have a very favorable call there, I think they should have had a repeat of the match.

I was legit shocked by this. They robbed my boy.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

bartolimu posted:

When this happens, my fantasy team will be the Fozzy Bear team: Waka Waka Waka plus a bear (Takayasu).

I've been waiting for years and just needed yall to see the joke because I've all but given up hope of it happening for real.

This is maybe the nerdiest possible joke and I want you to know that I appreciate it.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

The sound of two foreheads smashing into each other during a tachi-ai is quite a way to get the blood flowing in the morning.

Also really glad to see Daiesho doing consistently well. The first basho I watched was Jan 22 and the first day had Daiesho put on a hell of a performance against Terunofuji during his massive win streak. He didn't win, but he looked great, and I've been a fan ever since.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Shiroc posted:

They're gotta have Asanoyama facing higher ranked guys pretty fast, right? He's not ranked low because of injury recovery or anything so it seems unfair to everyone else to give him a normal set of opponents.

Clearly the script says that asanoyama has to stay undefeated for the first week or else the shimpan wouldn't have done Kotoeko like they did...

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

This is one of the videos that got me into sumo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mV_xmGrDgUA

o7 Tochi

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Yeah it really does seem like Meisei is the only one this tournament who battled Terunofuji in his terms, rather than the Yokozuna's. Hopefully they keep things interesting for the rest of the tournament.

I think Asanoyama will have to maintain a tie for the tournament a couple more days before they send him in?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Day 10: Big upsets today.

It's interesting to see a bit of variation from Hokuseiho. Not sure if that was a henka attempt with a planned recovery or a clever way to get to the belt. Either way, it worked great.

Good to see Kinbozan with a small recovery. He still looks headed for an MK, but taking it an ozeki is pretty good, granted that keisho probably just needs to get his 8 and come back in September.

Do WMH and Kirybayama have beef? I normally don't begrudge an extra shove at the rope. After all, I've seen the opposite bite less experienced rikishi. The kick at the end of this match seemed a little odd though.

Really thought kotonowaka had that for a second. Would have been quite a feat

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

I don't think that was a kick, I think that was Kiribayama trying to lift his leg to get himself out of there but also trying to stay balanced and not fall over forwards, he just ends up accidentally almost touching Wakamotoharu, it looks worse from certain angles

Ah okay. Just watching the natto vids and I was kinda going "WTF?"

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Me when seeing Ura and Tobizaru squaring up: "This should be something."

Me after the match: "That sure was something."

Loved it.

Edit: In addition to takakeisho being injured and having a very mediocre performance because of it (at least by his standard), there's a bunch of other interesting stories:

A four sekiwake race to ozeki (even if Daiesho and Hoshoryu would be long shots)
Asanoyama and Terunofuji returning to makuuchi (after being absent for very different reasons)
And two young rising stars trying to prove themselves.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 25, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Daiesho has the numbers but I thought they only considered tournament records at sanyaku?

Edit: I just revisited the Wikipedia article about this and I guess not. In that case, let's fuckin go Daiesho.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 23:35 on May 25, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

bartolimu posted:

Best part was he tried it once and failed, but timed the second sotogake perfectly when Hokuseiho was paying more attention to getting an arm inside than what was going on downstairs. Really good wrestling sense by Kiri. He's obviously ready for Ozeki; I hope he handles the pressure better than Mitake and Shodai did.

Speaking of

Mitakeumi got his first kk in a year today :gbsmith:

Also it was fun to watch Hokuseiho's arms flail as he went over with a big splat. He and Kinbozan have a ton of potential and just need some experience/polish.

Also also I think this actually happened yesterday, but Oho staved off demotion to juryo. I think he's in a good position to get a decent record this basho

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Ura got loving robbed. I declare Kanly against kotonowaka.

Yeah I didn't understand this one at all...

I think Hoshoryu and WMH are going to be in very good position to wind up at 33 by the end of July.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Race to 33 for the other current sekiwake:

Hoshoryu and WMH would need 12, Daiesho needs 11.

Should make for an interesting July!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Thauros posted:

i had no idea harumafuji only took his shikona after reaching ozeki, thanks

on the opposite end, is takayasu the only person to reach ozeki while using his birth family name as his shikona? p sure no yokozuna did. endō who peaked at lower san'yaku is the other current guy who comes to mind as having the most career success without a traditional shikona

edit: oh wow, shodai is actually shodai's real name? 正(correct/righeous) 代 (generation/era) sounds like such a shikona which may be why it was kept

Oh no, I think this means that shodai's demotion was a departure from the righteous era.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Y/O:
Terunofuji
Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Shodai
Ura

M6-10:
Kinbozan
Tamawashi
Hokuseiho

M11+:
Hakuoho
Kotoeko
Bushozan

Top of the banzuke is weird.

Everyone in Y/O is apparently injured? Crapshoot. If Teru isn't kyujo he'll probably still put on a show, but it'll be apparent by like, day 3.

Sekiwake is open season and one of these dudes is going to hopefully pop 12 and make the jump. Komusubi is some folks who have done well but maybe not been consistent? Kotonowaka has done better recently than Abi, but in the end there's no reason to pick either of these over the sekiwake. It is ripe for upset though.

Returning Asanoyama seems an easy lock for 1-5. Second pick Shodai for memes, and I'll throw Ura in third because I like him, but I never expect Ura to amaze. Mitakeumi is an interesting pick at this tier. He recently had his first KK in a year. Is he over the slump? I really need more than one tournament to believe again. Would not be surprised if he got off to a very good start at this ranking though.

This was probably the most I've had to consider the 6-10 rank. There's a very good mix of up and coming stars and long timers who are maybe injured and/or need a break. Tamawashi and Takayasu always feel like they're within striking distance of yusho and starting this low means they could build some momentum. On the other hand, you have three young lads who've all had 10+ tournaments in the last year in Oho, Kinbozan, and Hokuseiho. I feel like a lot of people will have studied Hokuseiho, so if he doesn't come to this tournament with more of a game plan than 'Be big' he might be hosed.

At M11+, it is hard not to be excited about the new prodigy. After that, I always give ups to Kotoeko because that small dude puts on a show. Then, I feel Bushozan is a corporeal successor to the hamster.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Teru looked good despite the reported back injury. Hope he can stay healthy or it’s gonna be another weird one.

My team doing mediocre as always. Great first day of bouts though!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I usually put on midnight sumo to fall asleep to during the bashos.

I woke up and randomly saw the Teru/Nishikigi bout and thought I dreamt it. Absolutely wild to see the big man thrown like that.

You can tell that Oho had a plan going up against Hokuseiho and struggled a bit when it didn't work out. Still managed to recover though!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Savage

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

It's clear to me now that Fluffdaddy is using their influence as an SA Admin to rig the world of sumo in their favor.

What a match between Tobi/Teru! On the Natto vid (and I'm sure NHK feed in general), as soon as the result is called you can see a guy in the background immediately stand up and yeet his seat cushion.

The bummer is, I'm going to be at the September basho and it's looking like Teru won't be.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

After seeing Teru wobbly post match and watching the replay, I kinda winced at the leg shot from Tobi. It's fair play on Tobi's part, but it looked to connect direct with Teru's knee.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Curious if I can get help from someone who's used buysumotickets.com before. I was going to go ahead and pre-order my tickets for September. I had originally planned on going opening day, but it seems that tickets are sold out up to 'box c'.

If I look at this picture, that doesn't seem so bad:

I'm just curious how it corresponds to this picture:

Does each 'row' of boxes correspond to the 'tiers' listed on the site? Assuming that, box c doesn't seem so bad, but if it's the seats up under the overhang I think I'd prefer to wait a day. Seats for Monday are still available in the 'a' box

I'm also interested in how cramped the boxes are for 4 adult Americans. I get the impression that the stadium seats would be very uncomfortable for person my size.

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 13, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I love watching a henka fail.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Granted that the sumo world had been going nuts about Hakuho being the second of his namesake, it's important to remember he's 19 and this is his fourth tournament as a pro. First in the top division. If he gets a KK, I'd say that's a satisfactory result.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If/When he gets to ozeki, they will drop the 'u'

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 14, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I think this is my best first week thus far. Looking forward to tanking in week 2!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

anakha posted:

Day 12: Oof, not a good day to be an ozeki candidate.

Yeah, promotion prospects are starting to look grim.

Otoh, Hakuoho appears to be proving himself. If he wins tomorrow things could get quite interesting.

I would like to trade Shodai to get Asanoyama back please!

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I love how the entire arena reacts to this tachiai.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HInT8Re67U0

Also, I buffered the natto vid of the makuuchi and watched it on a plane today. I think I literally made a :pogchamp: face at the Hakuoho/Nishikigi match.

Edit: Hopefully this trade was registered?

Nativity In Black posted:

I would like to trade Shodai to get Asanoyama back please!

It's points for day 13, but day 14 will be make or break.

Edit 2:

I've been rewatching this Hakuoho/Nishikigi match and I'm still kinda amazed by it. On my first watch, I was a little surprised that Nishikigi didn't win off the initial push to the rope, but you can see that lil' Hak kick's at his leg, which makes him pull back a bit. They go to the classic mid sumo match 'tie up and take a breather' and it's not like Nishkigi's leg appears out of nowhere to kick. Hakuoho seems to pull in such a way that puts the leg where he can kick. It's nuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zOXGSqv5wo

Nativity In Black fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jul 22, 2023

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Saturnine Aberrance posted:

Typically you can't trade after day 8, and trades that do happen are when your current pick goes kyujo. Maybe there could be some special exemption for a previous kyujo trade if your formerly kyujo pick comes back, but I don't believe that's ever been done. Usually people will just explicitly decide to keep their kyujo wrestler on the team.

Well there goes my chances at a full kk team.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Brut posted:

Hoshoryu still has a live Ozeki run right now, he'll be at 33 if he wins tomorrow, but even if he loses (and doesn't still get promoted) he'll be at 11 and 11, so needing another 11 to reach 33 next basho. The main reason I think 32 won't get him promoted this time is that 2 of the wins last basho were fusen.

Adding another bit here, there's some weird optics if Hoshoryu loses to the rookie and still gets the promotion. If he gets the Yusho, I think it's a lock though. Beating HakJr and losing to Hokutofuji in a play off would probably also lead to a dicey decision

Very high stakes tomorrow!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Oh I just realized that both ozeki will be kadoban next basho. I imagine they will both recover assuming they can stay healthy, but if not there could be some interesting banzuke shuffling for November.

I feel kinda bad for Nishikigi. The dude went through the entire sanyaku and only lost to Kotonowaka, I think? Hakuoho's road was a fair bit easier by comparison.