Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Serving up a hot buttered stabbing
Let's do this!

Y/O:
Takakeisho

S/K:
Wakatakakage
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Nishikigi
Abi
Ryuden

M6-10:
Oho
Myogiryu
Takanosho

M11+:
Chiyoshoma
Tsurugisho
Okinoumi

edit: goofed up the formatting - all fixed!

Iron Chef Nex fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Kenning posted:

Day 2 standings:
3 Iron Chef Nex

I am evidently imposing my brand of sumo on the dohyo clay itself.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

For the sake of our teams, I sure hope so, but he's at his highest ranking in a year. Water finds its level...

I would be happy for him to find a nice "float level" here as opposed going down like a solid lead balloon - I really hope he's not injured in some way.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
D14 Abi v Endo gyōji bowling!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Y/O:
Takakeisho
Terunofuji

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Kotonowaka

M1-5:
Onosho
Ryuden
Kotoshoho

M6-10:
Nishikifuji
Hiradoumi
Takayasu

M11+:
Kinbozan
Daishoho
Takarafuji

Thanks as always for running this show Kenning, and congrats on the upcomming nuptuals!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Well, after doing really well in the first 1/3, IronChef Heya is falling off in the second. At least got to see some successful bowling for Shimpan today :)

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Question: Is there a guiding prinicple that is used for choosing who from upper Juryo gets brought up to even out the day's matches, or is yet another "mystery of the JSA?

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
I'll put in a trade for the now kyujo Onosho

Trade: Onosho for Midorifuji, Shodai, or Abi in that order please, (I'm fully assuming that Midorifuji is full-up.)

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Kenning posted:

Any kyujo that occur on days 8-15 will be auto-traded, using the draft picks provided before the basho. Any player can freely modify their draft picks on days 1-7 to account for possible kyujo in week 2, and the modified picks will be used for week 2 kyujo auto-trades (accommodating the wire etc.). If a given set of picks can't be used because of the wire and precedence, these are the whims of a cruel fate, and no trade will take place.

Thanks for the peachy explanation/reminder as always, and I'll see if I can actually remember that next time one of my boys goes late-tourney kyujo!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Brut posted:

Day12: OHO!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chaos Sumo!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Excited to watch so sumo, also a bit relived that it's fantasy exhibition time as last week was a nightmare and completely missed the whole "get my draft together" in light of everything else going on.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
I've got an odd question - I've seen a couple of Ozeki promotions now, and really want to know the significance of the carp that they always hold up and pose with in the group photo-op.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Brut posted:

This article's a bit old but not much has changed

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-20756516

Seems to have something to do with the fish being red which is associated with success, also maybe a pun with the name of the specific fish.

Thanks, something like that was exactly what I was looking for! They should absoultely add the "smashing the lid off a keg of sake" though.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Y/O:
Terunofuji

Kirishima

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Hoshoryu
Daieisho

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Nishikigi
Ura

M6-10:
Hokuseiho
Nishikifuji
Kinbozan

M11+:
Hakuoho
Gonoyama
Bushozan

Iron Chef Nex fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Jul 7, 2023

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
I'll trade Asanoyama for my next two in order from my draft if possible:
Nishikigi
Ura

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
A very exciting last day - fun watch
even if my entire heya lost on it!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Sumo time!

Y/O:
Hoshoryu
Kirishima
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Wakamotoharu
Tobizaru

M1-5:
Asanoyama
Gonoyama
Meisei

M6-10:
Endo
Midorifuji
Ryuden

M11+:
Hokuseiho
Atamifuji
Daishoho

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
How often do rikishi get their height/weight updated? I'm doing a bit of data-crunching across sports right now and I'm noticing that my source (sumodb)rarely shows a change in weight. Shodai for example only has a single weight change in his Makuuchi run, enters at 150 kg in Hatsu 2016, and then is listed at 170 kg starting in Haru 2021.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Brut posted:

I think at least once a year but also whenever they have medical checkups (which might be more frequent? not sure), but I don't think sumodb pulls that data automatically, but rather requires manual update.

For example Shodai is currently listed at 160kg, on June 2nd he was listed as 161kg, on March 19th he was listed as 160kg, on January 26th he was listed as 163kg, on September 12th 2022 he was listed as 162kg, etc. (Specific dates just because those were the snapshots available on wayback machine)

Point is that SumoDB is not a reilable source for height/weight information, unfortunately.

Thanks for the quick answer!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
After sitting there ording and reording things for the last two days I'm joing to just hit the submit button on this now. Let go!

Y/O:
Kirishima
Hoshoryu
Takakeisho

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Wakamotoharu

M1-5:
Gonoyama
Nishikigi
Takayasu

M6-10:
Atamifuji
Kinbozan
Mitakeumi

M11+:
Tomokaze
Roga
Sadanoumi

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Kenning posted:

62 Iron Chef Nex
Shukun-sho: Iron Chef Nex, MalarkeyToboggan, NTRabbit

Thanks again Kenning, I am shocked and amazed at my brand of Sumo coming through in a rather fun Basho to watch.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
YAY!

Y/O:
Kirishima
Terunofuji
Hoshoryu

S/K:
Kotonowaka
Daieisho
Ura

M1-5:
Atamifuji
Wakamotoharu
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Ichiyamamoto
Kinbozan
Sadanoumi

M11+:
Onosato
Tsurugisho
Shimazuumi

Juryo:
Kotoeko
Roga
Nishikifuji

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Basho time!

Y/O:
Kirishima
Kotonowaka
Terunofuji

S/K:
Wakamotoharu
Daieisho
Abi

M1-5:
Midorifuji
Atamifuji
Tobizaru

M6-10:
Gonoyama
Kotoshoho
Onosho

M11+:
Shimazuumi
Shonannoumi
Takerufuji

Juryo:
Hakuoho
Wakatakakage
Tokihayate

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Brut posted:

Here's the banzuke with Height/Weight shown (it's just a checkbox on the left)

Here's a query for the top 2 divisions that actually lets you sort by height or weight

Here's a similar query but for all 6 divisions and some extra fields selected, I expected a bunch of the shortest guys to be brand new because of the rule changes, but most of them have been around a few years. The "Hatsu" column is when they started Sumo.

The weight thing got me wondering again about how often it's updated -- from what I can see it's not done so per-basho, ran into this a bit ago while doing a bit of Sumo data visualization.

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005

Brut posted:

Yeah this came up recently and

So I think whatever you're seeing on the official sumo association website should be considered very recent, maybe even every basho? Can't take that long to have guys step on a scale, particularly if it is just Sekitori. SumoDB does tell you specifically when data was pulled if you go to the individual wrestler page, and it is still nice to see historical (though infrequent) data, like seeing Hakuho start his career at 80kg.

edit: oh wait, you're who I replied to originally back then, oops.

What is a forum for, other than having the same conversations again and again! Seriously, thanks again for the tips on getting more up-to-date numbers!

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Y/O:
Kotozakura
Hoshoryu
Kirishima

S/K:
Onosato
Wakamotoharu
Abi

M1-5:
Hiradoumi
Atamifuji
Gonoyama

M6-10:
Kotoshoho
Midorifuji
Shonannoumi

M11+:
Tokihayate
Nishikifuji
Sadanoumi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Chef Nex
Jan 20, 2005
Awww Onosato's hair grew long enough to just manage a cute little chonmage!