Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sinatra hosed.

Seems like he sucked actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
i like the Bob Dylan story.

quote:

He was funny, we were standing out on his patio at night and he said to me, You and me, pal, we got blue eyes, were from up there, and he pointed to the stars, Dylan remarked. These other bums are from down here. I remember thinking that he might be right.

FreeRangeHexagon
Apr 17, 2022

you know in the Philippines they kill people for singing one of his songs at karaoke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_killings

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
He was the Jewel of The Nile, and in those an emerald the size of a golf ball was worth a lot of money. Everyone was trying to get their hands on him.

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD posted:

Sinatra hosed.

he seems more like a lovely cowardly little jumped up bully starting poo poo that he knows his murdering criminal "friends" will settle for him op

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

I'm Crap posted:

he seems more like a lovely cowardly little jumped up bully starting poo poo that he knows his murdering criminal "friends" will settle for him op

It's sort of funny because Sinatra was in that movie, it was the first and only screenplay Harlan wrote for a feature and critics ripped it to poo poo. That plus the fact that Ellison was a famously quarrelsome, vain little fucker, make it more than a little funny that Sinatra decided to kick him while he was down.

ANYWAYS, this episode of This American Life has all the answers you seek OP

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/54/sinatra

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Don Rickles prolly has some good stories about Sinatra

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Sinatra insulted women journalists in australia back when we had strong unions. And he refused to apologise so the unions grounded his plane, denied him room service, and refused to work at any venue he was performing at, trapping him until he had someone else write an apology and had someone read it on his behalf.

Fuckin get wrecked you dead old prick.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
He was the Belle of the Ball and when he agreed to let me take him to the dance is was the happiest day of my life. Sammy was devastated but you know in those days people just wouldn't tolerate a black cat and a white cat going to a dance together.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Zeniel posted:

Sinatra insulted women journalists in australia back when we had strong unions. And he refused to apologise so the unions grounded his plane, denied him room service, and refused to work at any venue he was performing at, trapping him until he had someone else write an apology and had someone read it on his behalf.

I just started watching kinda a crappy documentary on it because of this post and its soooo funny. It must have been so humiliating for the rear end in a top hat, all the tough union dudes banding together to own him because he talked poo poo about our lady journalists in a weird misogynistic way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDL-zGlWr0

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
he banged alot of broads

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Chinatown posted:

he banged alot of broads

His dame game earned him fame
A flame so bright it shant be blight
A shame his flame has been tamed

Saalkin
Jun 29, 2008

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Frank Sinatra wrote that song that goes like RADIOACTIVE! RADIOACTIVE!

don't remind me of the existence of imagine dragons please

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

He was a small penis with a big voice

Also he thought he was gonna be best friends with JFK and helped him get elected but Joe Sr. put the kibosh on that one

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

mysterious frankie posted:

It's sort of funny because Sinatra was in that movie, it was the first and only screenplay Harlan wrote for a feature and critics ripped it to poo poo. That plus the fact that Ellison was a famously quarrelsome, vain little fucker, make it more than a little funny that Sinatra decided to kick him while he was down.

ANYWAYS, this episode of This American Life has all the answers you seek OP

https://www.thisamericanlife.org/54/sinatra

I thought that altercation was made up for laughs til I read your post.

For those who prefer their anecdotes in text form:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/frank-sinatra-nearly-attacked-writer-harlan-ellison-pair-shoes.html

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

feller posted:

Seems like he sucked actually

Yeah you shouldnt interfere with another mans wine times, its just not cool under any circumstances.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Yank Yinatra

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM #ad📢

One thing you gotta respect about ol franklin Sinatra

He did it his way

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Frankensteinatra is the doctor not the monster.

RapturesoftheDeep
Jan 6, 2013
Sinatra was awesome, so awesome that he recorded a song about his feet turning into horny dogs and it's not even like his 10th best song https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeWEariUvuQ

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Sourdough Sam posted:

This is Artanis, mighty hero of the Protoss. His name spelled backwards is Sinatra. Hard to be an alcoholic crooner without a mouth though.

It's some ol' bullshit how they retconned that this guy was "The Executor" (the player) in the first campaign.

If that was him, then why is he a newly promoted Praetor taking orders from a different Executor (still the player) in Brood Wars??? You're gonna tell me "dude who flies around in a fancy Scout ship" is a higher rank than running the whole thing? Bunch of nonsense, Blizzard.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

BigBadSteve posted:

I thought that altercation was made up for laughs til I read your post.

For those who prefer their anecdotes in text form:
https://www.cheatsheet.com/entertainment/frank-sinatra-nearly-attacked-writer-harlan-ellison-pair-shoes.html

this is hella rad because its 1966 and Harlan was (presumbly) :350: AF

Could you imagine Frank Sinatra hassling you about your doofy weed smoking boots?

Also they leave out that Harlan Ellison is 5'3". Just a wee little man being bullied by Frank Sinatra

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 16 days!

Vampire Panties posted:

Could you imagine Frank Sinatra hassling you about your doofy weed smoking boots?

Also they leave out that Harlan Ellison is 5'3". Just a wee little man being bullied by Frank Sinatra

Nah, Ellison was teetotal throughout his life

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Sharty Fartis Pooner

You got me with this one

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Without him we wouldn't have the end credit music in Evangelion.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

haljordan posted:

He was a small penis with a big voice

Also he thought he was gonna be best friends with JFK and helped him get elected but Joe Sr. put the kibosh on that one

I like how ostensibly its to keep Jr. away from the nasty man with hoodlum friends, when in reality its because Sr. already had all the mafia buddies he needed, and he didnt want Giancana loving things up.

ShortyMR.CAT
Sep 25, 2008

:blastu::dogcited:
Lipstick Apathy
We frankin in here?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0h2jZtuRuic

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
heres looking at you kid

Fornax Disaster
Apr 11, 2005

If you need me I'll be in Holodeck Four.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7SdIJimk-w8

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

FreeRangeHexagon posted:

you know in the Philippines they kill people for singing one of his songs at karaoke

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Way_killings

As a reference to the phenomenon, Japanese rock band Kishidan released an uptempo rock cover of "My Way" as their 10th anniversary single, with a promotional music video featured lead singer (Ayonocozy Show) being shot numerous times while singing the song. Ayonocozy is then shot once more in the back while walking away after the song is concluded, collapsing in a heap on the stairs. A shortened version was used as a commercial.

This

Legin Noslen
Sep 9, 2004
Fortified with Rhiboflavin

Zeniel posted:

Read about this once in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader and had a hearty lol upon the toilet

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SdIJimk-w8

DruidSeer
Jun 13, 2022

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

I mean I guess his voice was alright but he didn't even really sing, he sounds more like he was just... talking in tune.

Also you can tell he's an rear end in a top hat just looking at him, though I guess that's better than being some secret undercover rear end in a top hat.

Because, he gave 50% of his money to a Foundation to benefit orphaned girls!

Myyyyy Waiiiii!

And he sung in D#, with moxy and conviction!

Good stuff.

WalletBeef
Jun 11, 2005

OP Are you trying to cancel a dead guy? He's dead, he can't be cancelled. It's ok. I promise.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

WalletBeef posted:

OP Are you trying to cancel a dead guy? He's dead, he can't be cancelled. It's ok. I promise.

its very important to research everything that you kind of enjoy to see if its acceptable to continue enjoying it, otherwise someone might bamboozle you

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Vampire Panties posted:

According to the article Harlan was dressed like Robin Hood, for some reason. Bitchy egomaniac, dressed like Robin Hood, being freaked out at by a fussy neat freak for not existing correctly. These men were our posting ancestors, the dinosaurs to our canaries.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer
So whats the deal with Franks inatra?

mudskipp
Jan 1, 2018

stop making sense
How do you like your eggs in the morning
I beat mine with a whisk
Boiled or fried
From a chickens insides