Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Been reading about the insane home valuations and rents in Canada and how the government is now only allowing Canadian nationals to buy property in an attempt to bring things under control. I was thinking about this issue when I realized that Canada was blaringly inefficent. Baffin Island is the fifth biggest island in the world but it only has 13,000 people on it. It's twice the size of Honshu in Japan with 100 million people on it and as well as Great Britain with 60 million people on it.

So why is an island as large as Baffin so obscure and underutilized? Simple, because of its location. If the Canadian government simply moved Baffin Island to be east of Halifax than Baffin Island could take full advantage of the Gulf Stream making the island habitable and comfortable very quickly. In addition to solving the climate issues of Baffin it would also greatly unleash the economic potential of the islands. Polar bears would now be much closer to the population centers of Toronto, Boston, New York, and Montreal making the area a quick competitor with Maine and Vermont for vacation homes and travel packages as families line up to see the bears and other arctic wildlife in their slightly relocated natural habitat. The island's size and location would also grant it a natural role as a refueling stop and air hub on trips between north America and europe.

I would expect the rapid economic growth that would result from bear tourism as well as the housing that would be built out would lead Iqaluit to quickly rival Vancouver in size, finally giving Canada the great Eastern port it has always deserved. This large population can be quickly turned from a Polar Bear company town into a diversified economy through wise economic planning giving Atlantic Canada an anchor city whose prosperity can spread throughout the Maritimes. rejuvenating Canada's most economically distressed region.

This is to say nothing of the obvious military advantages of a large polar bear filled buffer zone on Canada's eastern flank.

Sure such a project would be expensive but a drastic problem requires drastic solutions. We must move Baffin Island 2000 kms Southeast to secure Canada's future

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TK8325
Sep 22, 2014

if they stopped making their houses out of snow they wouldnt have to rebuild every spring when it melts

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

i read the entire op in the voice of bubbles from trailer park boys

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
build more houses

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Made a quick diagram of what I'm talking about if anyone wants to show the prime minister

Thought it might clear some things up for him. Some people are visual thinkers.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Pimpcasso posted:

build more houses

They used all their good land with Vancouver, tho.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Made a quick diagram of what I'm talking about if anyone wants to show the prime minister

Thought it might clear some things up for him. Some people are visual thinkers.

Or this?

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

No, my plan would make canada rich and help the inuit build a modern economy. Its completely different

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Why not just make them move into a more dense environment, something like some sort of residential housing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Oh, maybe you guys can do one of these: https://www.arabianbusiness.com/industries/construction/inside-neoms-the-line-saudi-arabias-170km-city-cutting-straight-through-the-desert