Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021
It was an honour bringing you A.F. Branco, Gary Varvel, Tom Stiglich et al. this year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It was definitely not an honour reading them all.

Oh also in a politoon note Canadian Cartoonist Michael De Adder has been awarded Canada's highest civilian award, the Order of Canada.

(He is more Bennett than Branco politically)

Edit:
https://twitter.com/deAdder/status/1735647813361357053?t=NlEmbqqIGzzE-kS6pKBtTg&s=19

He actually can draw too

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

From all the way back on the first page:

MechaCrash posted:

In previous years, I had to stop looking at the Political Cartoons thread because I just couldn't take it anymore.

I'm curious if I'll be able to make it all the way to December or if this year's going to break me again. :smith:

I made it. :unsmith:

...I wish I could have any kind of optimism for the coming year. :sigh:

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Britt, I agree with you and your message here, but :cmon: take a few extra seconds and turn on anti-aliasing.

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

It's a joke about Apple Watches being banned from being imported because Apple lost a patent lawsuit.

They didn't lose the lawsuit yet, the other company got a restraining order preventing importing the watches until the lawsuit is resolved.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Matt Wuerker

Carlos Latuff

Amjad Rasmi

Drew Sheneman

And that's all she wrote. See you folks on the other side.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Eat poo poo, political cartoons of 2023.

JamesBont
Oct 1, 2021

Pants Donkey posted:

New thread goes up some time tomorrow. Enjoy your celebrations, for Monday begins a year of presidential election cartoons :sickos:

One atrocious year ends, another even worse year begins. And it's a presidential election year to boot...and depending on the outcome 2025 will be the worst of all.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Final Clay Jones of 2023

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
what if everyone just decided to not make any political cartoons next year. just give it a miss. see how it goes. maybe come back to it in '25. maybe not.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Am I to try to imagine the cutting insight of "Trump bad but Biden ALSO bad" myself?! Uncle Sam, a look of resigned frustration upon his face as he studies the ballot, wit as razor sharp as drawing a Terminator with AI emblazoned upon it! Why, perhaps it could be suggested that the steady hand of cold robotic logic would outpace the folly of man! Those clowns, holed up in Congress, why they're certainly a bunch of clowns!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Doomykins posted:

Those clowns, holed up in Congress, why they're certainly a bunch of clowns!
Hold on, you're onto something.

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

World Famous W posted:

is it ethical to kill baby new year?

World Famous W posted:

cause im gonna
sadly reporting from gods own central time that i have failed

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

First Rall for 2024 and last for the thread.

Rall: One Domino Theory After Another

Ted Rall posted:

Over and over, the military tells Americans that grave consequences would follow unless we fight and win in some overseas conflict. Yet we keep losing, and nothing terrible happens. When, if ever, will we see through the military’s fear-mongering?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com
According to Ted Rall, Adolf Hitler never existed, World War II never happened, and no Americans died because of it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Victar posted:

According to Ted Rall, Adolf Hitler never existed, World War II never happened, and no Americans died because of it.

I thought Rall's position was that everybody is Hitler

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Thus, by a continuous shifting of rhetorical focus, the hitlers are at the same time too numerous and too few.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Are NYE cartoons ever anything but the old man saying to the baby "next year will be worse"?
Granted in this case it's probably true but are there any different takes on it?

E: I don't remember the history of how this trope came about in the first place

Genuinely wondering myself, I get the basic idea is "out with the old year, in with the new one", and it's an easy enough joke to make the old year crabby and fatigued and decrepit while the new year is a tiny, naive, wide-eyed infant. But it feels like these cartoons tend to be about as negative and pessimistic as the jaded posters in this thread, and nobody ever makes an inspired, uplifting "This will be my year" version of this cartoon to ring the new year in.

Yes, I have seen the state of the world. Yes, I know, always more, always worse, and so on. I understand why it's all bad. But I wonder if it has always been this cynical, or was it originally supposed to be fun and at some point it got twisted into this?

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Using a baby as a symbol of the new year is an idea that's been around effectively forever (and if you think about human psychology it makes a lot of sense), but I'd wager the current form of the concept was cemented by J.C. Leyendecker's illustrations for the Saturday Evening Post:

https://www.saturdayeveningpost.com/2014/12/new-years-babies/

The illustration of the baby (or Father Time handing over the duties to the new year) has always reflected both hopes and fears about what the new year will be. In terms of editorial cartoons specifically, I feel like the fears are more likely to win out, since "the new year is going to be really great" tends to make for less effective propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Good luck: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4050882