Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

Bored? Need something to read while camping Time-Lost Protodrake?

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

Ton Stiglich

Stiglich (whose previous cartoons have revealed him to be a disgusting pro-KKK piece of poo poo) is advocating that pro-Trumpers and never-Trumpers join up, when they are diametrically opposed to each other by definition.

Maybe he thinks they can find common ground in hating minorities, or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com
I think Pettyfest is what makes Sinfest worth reading more than anything else, so if Pettyfest isn't going to be included, then I'm fine with giving up Sinfest.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

*sigh* AGC.

So, the American government should fund, regulate, or otherwise encourage more parental leave and childcare options for the people who choose to raise a family despite the hardship, right?

And all pregnancy and childbirth-related medical costs should be fully reimbursed under Medicare for All, right?

And there should be more funding for public schools, which most American children have to attend (because charter school spots are limited and most parents can't afford to send their children to a private school). Public school funding should be statewide or nationwide, and not completely hosed for the families who live in impoverished areas with low property tax revenue... RIGHT???

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm pretty sure the cops are allowed to arrest you even after you have finished committing a crime. Like, the statute of limitations on crimes is not "five minutes." The police can still arrest a person at their house or job the next day! They can do that! It's true! Most arrests happen days after the crime was committed!

Sure high speed pursuits put people in danger and can cause accidents, but criminals might not suffer any immediate consequences if we stop doing that, so we should be allowed to endanger as many people as we want.

Horsey doesn't bother to say exactly what the these WA restrictions on police are, so I looked them up online. It seems WA's new laws started taking effect in 2021.

https://crosscut.com/politics/2021/07/what-new-wa-police-accountability-laws-do-and-dont-do

The entire article is well worth reading, as the laws have multiple reforms. A standout point is that the laws prohibit officers from starting car chases over LOW-LEVEL crimes that DO NOT INVOVLE DRUNK DRIVING, like theft or property damage. "Instead, a car chase is only warranted in most cases if there is probable cause to believe a person in the vehicle has committed or is committing a violent offense, such as a kidnapping or sex offense."

Funny how Horsey doesn't mention any of that. He also doesn't mention how the laws ban police use of chokeholds or neck restraints, and oblige officers to use de-escalation efforts before using physical force.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

HootTheOwl posted:

Seeing these back to back made me lol. Why isn't he doing more about banks? No not regulation tho. Something else I mean.

I didn't notice it until you pointed it out, but... WTF does he want other than more bank regulation?

What else is there? More 2008-style bank bailouts (as opposed to the current plan, which allows the bank shareholders/creditors to take a haircut but immediately restores uninsured depositors)? What about moral hazard?

Kellies Nomination: Most Hypocritical Combo

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

"SVB gave 74 million dollars to BLM" is a right-wing media talking point that's making the rounds.

It's a complete lie. There are multiple organizations with "Black Lives Matter" or "BLM" in their name, but SVB never donated or loaned money to any of them.

What did SVB give money to? Causes and organizations that some right-wing media classify as "BLM-adjacent" like... the NAACP, United Negro College Fund, the ACLU, college loan scholarship programs, programs to encourage diversity in tech fields, COVID-19 related programs, etc.

Not all of that money was donated, some of it was to be spread out over five years. Those five-years charity plans are probably bust now.

Also worth noting is that 74 million is a tiny percentage of the bank's total assets when it failed (200 billion).

https://apnews.com/article/silicon-valley-bank-fdic-svb-california-d84764deb458371667ac7f850f430f22

Quote from AP news: "The Black Lives Matter Global Network Foundation, in its own statement, confirmed it did not receive $70 million from the bank.

“Even if we did, the idea that this type of contribution would be controversial is rooted in a pathology that Black organizations don’t deserve to be funded,” the organization wrote. “Contributions to a variety of progressive Black causes is irrelevant in the conversation about what led to the bank’s demise.”"

https://crooksandliars.com/2023/03/did-svb-really-give-74m-black-lives-matter

https://www.thenation.com/article/society/silicon-valley-bank-black-lives-matter/

Victar fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Mar 17, 2023

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Magnificent Anti-American Jihadis

"Terrorists have tanked the housing market"?

I guess Ted Rall wants American house prices to stay unaffordably high, or keep getting more unaffordable forever. Since he implies that all people with the agency to help "tank" those prices (Home builders? People who advocate/enact zoning reforms and densification to increase house supply? Anyone selling their house cheap so they can quickly downsize, move, or raise money for living expenses?) are "terrorists".

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Moral Hazard

The SVB bankers literally were not bailed out. The bank is permanently closed, the executives lost their jobs, and all bank bondholders and shareholders are holding the bag; if they get anything, it'll be the leftovers after everything is wound down and everyone else is reimbursed.

One could argue that there should be a criminal investigation of SVB bankers for stuff like paying out bonuses/selling off stock right before SVB failed, but that doesn't change the fact that the SVB bankers were not bailed out.

Yes, the "tech douches" were bailed out. Most of those "tech douches" were venture capital businesses, and leaving them dry would have caused a sudden rash of business failures, all at once, with potential economic knock-on effects that could reverberate all the way down to ordinary people who are struggling to make the rent and not become homeless.

Just add this cartoon to Ted Rall's rap sheet of lies and half-truths, I guess.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

gently caress you, Branco, for essentially saying "Russia kidnapping and shelling Ukrainian schoolchildren is fine and the USA should do nothing about it."

I'll also note that the Christian school where the shooting took place is a private school, not a government school or a charter school. So Branco wants taxpayer dollars spent on private schools now?

Kellies nomination: Worst cartoon about a tragedy.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

I'm not sure if Kellies Most Hypocritical Combo is still a thing or if it got discontinued, but I figured I'd combo these two for the brazen hypocrisy anyway.

No, no taxpayer money to feed children in public or charter schools! It's better to starve kids!

Now, private schools? The ones that can exclude any child for any reason, and charge hefty tuitions? The ones where only families with the money to pay those tuitions can afford to enroll their kids? Those schools should get taxpayer money.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

So the coyote has significantly more than the FDIC government insurance limit of $250,000 (which is by law applied to every US bank)?

Maybe Carmen is wealthy too. She did (presumably) bankroll her own run for public office.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Saint Sputnik posted:

Hitch finally made it onto my scroll past and don't even bother trying to read list, along with Tom Tomorrow, Sinfest and whoever does that washed-out really ugly art with letters too small for anyone to read

Hitch and Sinfest are both awful, but Tom Tomorrow is my favorite cartoonist on here. His writing is very good at exposing ideological hypocrisy, bizarre contradictions, and blatant lies.

"We now live in an authoritarian state controlled by woke Democrats who want to defund the police!"

"I - wait, what?"

"I'm still workshopping here, just go with it."

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Kikas posted:

I am looking and I'm having a hard time finding anything on why did teens gather at the Loop. Was it to commemorate last years shooting? Not from the US so I haven't heard anything about it.
All the news are about the shooting or FOX being assholes towards teens.

This is the article I found:

https://ktxs.com/news/nation-world/...firearms-arrest

"The cause of the wave of violence and unrest – which saw car windows broken, bystanders beaten, cars set ablaze, and shots fired – is unknown, although authorities believe it was spurred by fliers posted on social media that simply called for a teen meetup."

The theory is that it was a social media meetup that escalated. Another relevant quote: "...gun violence tends to go up as it gets warmer and young people escape from sweltering apartments and homes."

Two teens were shot during the unrest. A woman alleges that her husband was beaten up. There have been no reported deaths that I know of.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

Tom Stiglich

Kellies Nomination: Laziest Non-Gorrell.

Gorrell would just have an empty white space without any boxes or lines, but not everyone can reach Gorrell's absolute heights of paid laziness.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Ramirez doesn't specify that the third fish represents government default over, say, households defaulting on their mortgages, but since the little fish is "US Taxpayers" and there's currently a crisis over the government debt ceiling, I think "government default" is a fair interpretation of the third fish.

Only someone wealthy enough to not need Social Security, Medicaid, Medicare, SNAP, or other government programs to survive would think that a recession is a bigger concern than a government default.

Also, a government default would very likely cause or help cause a recession, by massively reducing the purchasing power of anyone who receives government money, including all government workers and contractors.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

Kellies nomination: Worst Gaslighting and Most Opposite of Reality, I don't know which category fits better so why not both.

*Free college for illegal immigrants does not exist.

*Free healthcare for illegal immigrants does not exist, unless you count the "emergency rooms are required to treat anyone who enters first and ask about how they'll pay later" laws that apply to everyone regardless of immigration status, or other stopgap healthcare measures given to detained illegal immigrants who are sick or injured.

(And HOLY poo poo whining about the microscopic amount of taxpayer dollars spent to save the lives of illegal immigrants in need of health care is just evil! Is the preferred outcome to let them get sicker or die? What the actual gently caress? I shouldn't be surprised, it's "spending taxpayer money to feed schoolchildren is bad" Branco, but WHAT THE ACTUAL gently caress?)

*If taxpayer-funded surgery for trans inmates exists at all, it happens so rarely that it is an insignificantly tiny amount of the government budget.

The real drivers of tax rates in America? I'm not going to list all the causes, but Social Security forms an enormous part of the budget, and that's being pushed up by an aging population. You know, the ongoing demographic issue that would quickly escalate into a full-blown crisis if not for all the young immigrants who are willing to come to America!

Another cause is corporate tax loopholes and tax havens, enabling huge companies like Amazon to legally pay little or nothing of their fair share of taxes, so everyone else has to pay more.

There's also the expensive military-industrial complex, but at least the US war in Afghanistan is over now. Anyone who is unhappy about US-funded military support for Ukraine should blame Putin for invading. I'm not sure what Branco's position on the Ukraine war is.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Yes, a deal on the debt ceiling has in fact prevented an American economic meltdown, at least for one more year. Your point is?

What's your loving point, Mike Smith!?

Kellies Nomination: Worst "A Thing Happened" Cartoon.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Kellies Nomination: Most Opposite of Reality

I interpret "Most Opposite of Reality" to essentially mean "Most Blatant Lie". This cartoon is a flat-out lie.

Affirmative Action has never been about judging people "strictly by the color of their skin". Affirmative Action has always been about incorporating race as one factor among many.

Even when Affirmative Action is in effect, grades/job skills/everything else in a person's background still matters a lot.

I don't know if, say, college legacy admissions work the same way. If a teenager's parents went to Harvard, can the teenager still get in even if their grades are terrible?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

L. Ron DeSantis posted:

Can anyone explain what this is about?

I did a search for "Walker Arts Center demon summoning" and got a dozen right-wing media pieces about it, all of them raging that taxpayer money goes to fund it.

I don't want to link to right-wing media, so I will link to mnartists.walkerart.org which I assume represents the event itself.

https://mnartists.walkerart.org/demon-bloomsongs-tamar-ettuns-vivid-somatics

I don't like this event. It's free ammunition for right-wing extremists, and the Walker Arts Center should have known that. I like a good Shin Megami Tensei video game as much as anyone else, but my demon summoning isn't taxpayer-funded.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Vib Rib posted:

Everything is free ammo for right-wing extremists. We should never temper art, expression, fun, civil rights, or whatever else because we're worried about how they might twist it. They will always twist it. And if there's nothing to twist, they'll just make poo poo up out of thin air. It's all the same to their base.

Holy poo poo, of course civil rights including First Amendment rights should not be tempered.

Civil rights/First Amendment rights/fun/expression/art is not the same as taxpayer funding. Taxpayer funding is not a right. Free speech is a right (in America; some countries have more restrictions on it. Note the recent First Dog comic where the Australian author couldn't talk more about war crimes on the advice of his lawyers).

The only place I will bitch about this art event, or talk about it at all, is on this dead comedy forum. I'm not saying anything anywhere else, because I don't want to stir up support for right wing extremists who are trying to roll back civil rights, even if they are having a "broken clock" moment when they complain about tax money going to this event.

I get that the right wing shovels out never-ending lies and propaganda. They do it because it works. The left is not as good at getting out its message, and it hurts them at the polls, and that limits the left's political power.

Some messages that I think the American left need to be better at getting out include "socialized medicine is cheaper and has better health outcomes", "legalized marijuana offers pain relief without physical drug addiction, unlike legally prescribed opioids which do cause physical drug addiction", and "you're not safe from being murdered by cops just because you don't commit crimes, police reform protects everyone".

I'm frustrated by all of this and don't have any easy answers, but holding *taxpayer-funded* family demon-summoning performance art seems like lobbing a mortar into your own army in the culture wars.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Fister Roboto posted:

You're still conceding to the right wing framing of it. Freedom of expression isn't just a negative right where the government is forbidden from impeding it, it also has to be a positive right that the government must provide to people if it is to flourish. That means spending public money on supporting creative expression. That includes funding works of art that you might find personally distasteful. And that should especially include works of art that pisses off the right. Because that's how you fight them, by shoving as many things that they hate in their stupid hateful faces. Not by giving in and agreeing to defund what they hate. Functionally speaking, what is the difference between this and drag queen story hour, hosted at a public library and paid for by taxes?

Also it's pretty ironic to draw an analogy between a work of creativity and an act of death and destruction.

I see your point. I won't argue any further, but I'll try to answer your question.

I assumed that the drag queens who host Drag Queen Story Hour are not paid tax money to do it. In response to your question, I tried to look up more information and learned to my surprise that my assumption is not completely correct. I don't know how much taxpayer money is given to the Drag Queen Story Hour nonprofit, only that it's a nonzero amount.

So I guess the only functional difference between Drag Queen Story Hour and "family demon-summoning performance art" is that Drag Queen Story Hour is expressly about teaching children tolerance and respect for gender noncomforming people, while "family demon-summoning performance art" is about... whatever.

For the record, I don't have a problem with whatever small amount of tax money goes to Drag Queen Story Hour, especially when the right wing is rewriting children's history textbooks with lies about slavery and poo poo.

Regarding my analogy - the term "culture war" itself melds the everything that represents "culture", and "war", which is death and destruction. My analogy is the logical extension of that. Is "culture war" a weird, bad, or ironic term? I don't know, but the term "culture war" seems here to stay in various news media.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

M.c.P posted:

It isn’t worth it. The goal of RWM is to get views by affirming previously held beliefs. Their proponents will only be happy when their worldview is imposed on the rest of us.

I want to comment on one refrain I've been seeing in multiple responses - that you can't appease the hard right or change their views.

OF COURSE YOU CAN'T! Right wing extremists are not going to be appeased by anything. You can't change the minds of extremists. You can only hold them accountable under a system of justice. Or to a lesser extent, hold them accountable by social punishments outside of the legal system, such as exclusion or shaming.

There are people out there who are not on the left, but have not been sucked in past the point of return by right wing media yet. There are a lot of people who voted to put Trump in the White House in 2016, and did not vote to put him in the White House in 2020. The left has been struggling to get political power in many parts of the country, and failing to get out their message is part of that. It's only one part, there's also the right's gerrymandering and corruption and voter intimidation that all have to be dealt with, plus intractable demographics in some areas (notably Florida), but it's a significant part.

Vib Rib posted:

I'm sorry, but the truth is it literally doesn't matter. It will not make a difference. It will not affect the polls, because all these people are going to be packed to the gills with poo poo anyway. If this hadn't happened, the right would've found some other tiny thing to be mad about and misrepresent, and Branco's cartoon would've been about that.

Okay. You're right in a lot of cases, including the demon summoning thing, which is a very minor and unimportant event to set me off about the greater problem, so I'll present a better example.

Wisconsin just had a pivotal election for a state supreme court judge vacancy - Janet Protasiewicz vs. Dan Kelly. It was supposed to be non-partisan but it absolutely wasn't - Protasiewicz was the liberal candidate who wanted to reform Wisconsin's horrific gerrymandering and maybe even make abortion legal in the state again, while Kelly was an arch-conservative. You would all call Kelly a fascist, and I won't disagree.

Protasiewicz has a long history of criminal law cases. Kelly never oversaw any criminal cases ever. The hard right used Protasiewicz's judicial record of criminal cases against her, especially emphasizing how she gave light sentences to sex offenders, or probation only to sex offenders. Or that some of the people she gave probation to used their relative freedom to commit more sex offenses.

I voted for Protasiewicz. I had a sick taste in my mouth when I did, and had to keep telling myself that giving light sentences to sex offenders is common in our judicial system, she isn't any more soft on crime than the system in general. As much as I didn't like her judicial record, Kelly was horrifically worse and I knew it.

A lot of people don't know it. Some people in my personal circle are aware that I voted for Protasiewicz - Wisconsin does not have any voter privacy protection laws other than the baseline (you can look up that someone voted, just not who they voted for), and everyone who knows me knows that I'm a Democrat. So I'm paying for that vote in my personal life. I'm accused of being pro-rape.

I wish the left were better at getting their message out. I wish the left were better at countering "soft on crime" messages from the hard right. I wish the left could attract people in the center more consistently. Protasiewicz won that election but I'm somewhat surprised she did. If the right to an abortion hadn't been at stake then maybe she wouldn't have, and Wisconsin would stay ultra gerrymandered for another 30 years.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Fister Roboto posted:

There are many ways to get people in the center on your side, and they do not require pandering to the right by agreeing that certain forms of art shouldn't be supported, or trying to convince them that Democrats are "tough on crime". The result of that is "the left" moving to the right.

I've already yielded on the arts, since all arts taxpayer funding is an extremely tiny drop in the bucket anyway. Maybe the left could get better at its message of how small the arts funding is compared to other things, I don't know.

Convincing anyone that the Democrats are "tough on crime" will NEVER happen, and "tough on crime" in general has been a failure.

The left needs to be better in its message on WHY "tough on crime" is a failure. The left needs to be better in its message on WHY cash bail is a failure. The left needs to emphasize how the California's "tough on crime" three strikes policy did nothing but overcrowd prisons with nonviolent, low-level offenders. The left needs a counter message like "the punishment should fit the crime".

I'm not a goddamn political strategist I don't have all the answers for this. I remember that Protasiewicz's only response to the right-wing "soft on crime" attacks, that I know of, was "I don't have a crystal ball when I give a sentence" which is true, sure, but is there really no other possible defense for her record?

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

VitalSigns posted:

The Democrat won the election in Wisconsin right? So what would have been the benefit of moving right on mass incarceration and the police state? Just for its own sake?

I'm not advocating mass incarceration. I'm saying the left needs to be better in its message on why mass incarceration is bad.

I'm not advocating a police state. I'm saying the left is loving terrible in its messaging on police and how they need to be reformed.

"Defund the police" deserves an award for the worst reform slogan of all time, it was called a "poison pill" for a reason. Hell, Britain defunded their police (and almost everything else) for 10 years with their ongoing austerity policy and crime went up. You can argue how much of the crime going up is due to the greater knock-on effects of austerity and Brexit, sure, but you're not going to convince most people that gutting the police had nothing to do with crime going up.

"Hold police accountable" or "End qualified immunity" (I actually saw this one on a sign, but not broadly) would have been better slogans. The left is loving terrible at messaging and I hate it, that's my overall point, no I'm not saying to shift rightward from where America is now.

Most of my views haven't changed much in the nearly 50 years I've been alive. My biggest change was my leftward shift LGBT issues, which came from reading the online testimonies of LGBT people. The world changed around me and maybe I'm a leftist now, I don't know. I get called one (not that word, but words with a similar meaning) when people in my personal life get pissed off at me over politics.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Fister Roboto posted:

Who exactly is "the left" that you're complaining about? Which people, what organizations, what party?

Everyone who embraced "Defund the police" as a slogan for one group. I'm not going to dig up more right now.

I'm not completely sure what "the left" is to everyone on these forums anyway. I know that "the left" on these forums excludes centrist Democrats, all Republicans, and most if not all Libertarians, but that's all I know.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

VitalSigns posted:

Is that a bad answer. You don't have a crystal ball, you can always find an example of someone reoffending anywhere, the only way to ensure that never ever happens, not even once, is to give everyone the death penalty, administered immediately behind the courthouse before they can appeal.

Although that's probably what Republicans and tough-on-crime Democrats want, so

There is a middle ground between probation/stayed sentence and the death penalty. I want better messaging or more explanation on WHY she thought the middle ground (some jail time) was inappropriate for the sex offenders she gave probation/stayed sentence to. I want a more detailed defense of her record than "I don't have a crystal ball".

But maybe she was right not to give one? She did win, after all. Maybe she figured that if you're explaining, then you're losing, so she didn't explain. Maybe she's a political strategy genius, I don't loving know.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

VitalSigns posted:

Why, are the outcomes of her rulings anomalous in some way, do people she sentenced have a higher rate of recidivism than her peers, or did her political opponents just cherry pick some cases like you could with any judge.

How long ago was this and how many cases has she tried? Is it reasonable to expect a judge to remember the details of every case? Did every shorter sentence end in reoffense or was it the correct decision sometimes and if so, how often? Should judges throw the book at every defendant to protect their own political career and ensure no one can ever blame them if one reoffends?

I'm sure her attackers were cherry picking, yes. One more reason why I held my nose and voted for her.

It's reasonable for judges to have ready access to written records of their cases, even if they don't immediately remember every last detail.

No, judges should not throw the book at every defendant, what the gently caress do you think "the punishment should fit the crime" means? Don't strawman. Strawmanning is a waste of time at best, and actively hurts the left's cause at worst.

Months ago in election season, I could not easily find answers to the rest of your questions. When I searched for details on her criminal cases I found a lot of shocking stuff on right-wing media; very little from center media; nothing from left-leaning media. So there was this horrible picture painted by the right-wing and loving nothing, no message to counter it, not unless I dig into individual case records and who the gently caress has time for that poo poo, not me and not most people.

Here's an example of a thing I could research. One of the right-wing attacks on her was how she gave a very light sentence or probation or whatever to a woman who starved a teenaged child to death. Shocking and horrifying, right?

I tried to find more. The ONLY thing I could find that was not a right-wing hate piece was one neutral media article mentioning that the teenager was a "special needs" kid. From what little I could piece together, the woman was just too poverty-ridden and overwhelmed from caring for a nearly non-functioning person, and couldn't get him to eat enough to stay alive, and by the time she called the hospital it was too late. The judge took all this into account and that's why she handed down such a light sentence in a case about the death of a child.

So yeah, the right wing twisted a tragic story and punishment that fit the crime into an attack. Were there similar factors in the other cases? I don't know, I voted for her anyway because Dan Kelly really is bad.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Xiahou Dun posted:

But most importantly this is the politoons thread, not your private Explain Politics to Victar thread. Go read or ask questions! Your original assertion, you even acknowledge it was baseless and uninformed! Stop digging this hole and go learn about excavation!

I've made my point about the American left's terrible messaging. That assertion is not baseless and uninformed, even though I had to back down about the "family demon summoning" event that set me off. I gave base and information for the American left's terrible messaging. I have tried to explain something to all of you, I guess at least some of you stopped to think about it, so thanks for that.

You want me to stop digging this hole? Sounds great. This is my last post for today. I'm not looking at D&D again until tomorrow. I've done my best to respond honestly to every non-rhetorical question asked of me, and that will have to be good enough.

Fister Roboto posted:

That's good, now keep it up and go read some testimonies from people who support justice reform. I'm sure if you post about with an open mind it in the police thread, they'll be happy to educate you :)

I've read the entire thread and have posted in it. I've been reading about police reform for years now.

VitalSigns posted:

I'm not strawmanning, I'm asking you what you're advocating here.

I already answered that. I'm advocating that the left needs to improve its messaging. Maybe Democrats too, if they're being included in the American left. The left needs to get word out on WHY "tough on crime" won't work, WHY their positions on things like eliminating cash bail will reduce or at least not increase crime, and far more things than I want to rant about in a cartoon thread.

And by the way no one - not just no one here, no media that I have ever found anywhere in the months since the spring elections - no one ever publicly explained or countered with specifics as to WHY the judge's light sentences for rapists was fine other than "I don't have a crystal ball", not even months later, not even though some of her decisions resulted in more rapes. The most anyone gave were broad generalizations like the ones you're saying.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Nihilarian posted:

Anyone who has not let go of the mistaken assumption that there is any way possible to represent progressive events and policies that won't have right wingers foaming at the mouth and screaming whatever slur or slur-replacement that recieved the most positive polling most recently really needs to let that go. Be gay, do crime, smoke weed and hail satan and pretend you don't see the conservative hit pieces telling you that the abuse being thrown at you is your fault and they'd treat you nicer if you were more polite.

When you say "do crime", I don't think you really mean "commit a mass shooting", or "deal cocaine to kids", or "commit sexual assault". But you don't explain what you mean at all. You just say "do crime".

I believe that by "do crime" you really mean humanitarian things that the right-wing are criminalizing, liking helping a woman get abortion-related medical care if she needs it, or helping a trans person get the medical care they need.

But you just say "do crime". It doesn't matter what you say on this dead comedy forum anyway, and no, nothing anyone says will ever make progressive policies appealing to the right wing.

But if you're ever talking to a broader audience, and you just say "do crime", a lot of people who are neither on the left nor the right won't understand what you mean. The people who aren't on the left or the right will think you're actually advocating crime that hurts people, like murder or rape or armed robbery.

You've given a micro-example of the overall point I was trying to make.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Nihilarian posted:

so how big a slice of the population is

1) centrist
2) by uncertainty rather than contrarianism
3) 35+
4) capable of being persuaded out of the beige fog that makes up their existance for one election cycle
5) responds better to reason than shrieks of pedophilia
6) willing to vote in the first place
7) exist in the same space as people who say be gay do crime
8) see one guy on, for example, a dying internet forum say be gay do crime and thats it, they learn nothing more about leftism, their mind is made up, go republicans

#8 is irrelevant. I'm talking about speaking to a broader audience than this dead forum, even if it's just a tweet that blows up all over the internet.

#3 is irrelevant, since the minimum voting age in the US is 18 and the right wing hasn't taken that away yet. Young people are less likely to vote, and that's a real problem for progressives, but that's covered under #6, "willing to vote in the first place."

There are enough people in the US who fit all of 1, 2, 4, 5, 6 and 7 (extending #7 to mean "all the political messaging that goes on in an election cycle") to tip the scales so that Trump lost the 2020 election, and the predicted "red wave" of Republican congressional gains in 2022 turned out to be a "red ripple" of Republican gains so small that they were a symbolic loss.

If more of the people who fit 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, and 7 fully understood the meaning and value of progressive policies, then I think change for the better could come from that.

The (sadly outnumbered) progressive political cartoonists in this thread are trying to get their message out, and that's something. It's why Tom Tomorrow is one of my overall favorites, although I agree that his recent negative take on birthright citizenship is weird and bad.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Bob Barker treated female employees horribly and lost lawsuits over it.

This is far from the most vile cartoon Stiglich has ever done, but it's one more for the vile pile.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

Michael Ramirez

Vivek wants to amend the Constitution to deny young people the right to vote, and *this* is what Ramirez criticizes him for?

...of course it is.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Guavanaut posted:

"Alternate electors" has very strong "alternative facts" energy.

Yes, "alternate electors" is a pro-Jan 6 insurrection dogwhistle that's been circulating ever since Jan 6 happened. Unbiased news/commentaries will say "false electors" or "fake electors" when referring to the Jan 6 insurrection.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Skios posted:

A.F. Branco

A.F. Branco, paraphrased: "Putting police in schools isn't about preventing school shootings. It's about arresting schoolchildren. It's about enshrining the school-to-prison pipeline, especially for minority children."

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

skeleton warrior posted:

We do what we can, because we must

Kellies Nomination: Best Edit

skeleton warrior posted:

Also,

Debate & Discussion > Political Cartoons 2023: shut the gently caress up

If every cartoon that deserved it had a post that said only "Shut the gently caress up" and nothing else, this thread would be at least 80% "Shut the gently caress up".

Victar fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Sep 28, 2023

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

idonotlikepeas posted:

Carlos Latuff

Eat poo poo, my dude.

Kellies nomination: Worst I/P cartoon

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here's him drawing a false equivalence while simultaneously poo-pooing the concept of Russian propaganda (probably because he works for MintPress, an outfit that is part of the Russian propaganda infrastructure and which, incidentally, views the current Ukrainian government as illegitimate):

https://twitter.com/LatuffCartoons/status/1506429986915467264

Thank you for the informative analysis of Latuff's cartoons. I did not know Latuff was on Russia's propaganda payroll, same as Ted Rall. That explains a lot.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: Ukraine is a Very Special Kind of Democracy

Ukraine is under martial law because it's under existential threat. It's being invaded by a dictatorship.

Citation needed on the claim that "most Americans don't want to send more money to Ukraine", and it had better not be some pathetic tiny poll by an organization without a good track record.

I think I hate Putin's paid shill Ted Rall more than any other cartoonist in this thread.

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

Thank you for the link.

I don't know how reputable the independent research company SSRS is, only that CNN trusted them enough to hire them to conduct a poll.

The poll ultimately reached 1,279 adults so I don't think CNN broke the bank to fund it, and I don't trust it anywhere near as much as I would a substantially larger poll.

CNN article posted:

Overall, 55% say the US Congress should not authorize additional funding to support Ukraine vs. 45% who say Congress should authorize such funding. And 51% say that the US has already done enough to help Ukraine while 48% say it should do more. A poll conducted in the early days of the Russian invasion in late February 2022 found 62% who felt the US should have been doing more.

It's worth noting that the poll breaks down heavily among party lines, with a majority of Democrats favoring additional funding for Ukraine and a majority of Republicans against additional funding for Ukraine. Independents oppose additional funding for Ukraine by a slim majority margin, according to the poll.

Edit: I think that if anything breaks the Democrats in the near future through the 2024 presidential election, it will be the Israel/Palestine horrors happening right now. And if the Republicans win, then everything will get worse for almost everyone.

Maybe not for Ted Rall, though. He'd be fine.

Victar fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Nov 3, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Victar
Nov 8, 2009

www.vicfanfic.com

The current crime spree against Seattle schoolchildren is disturbing. I don't have kids and never will, but I would be freaking the gently caress out if I were a parent living in the area.

I looked up the Seattle Times article about the problem:

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/seattle-students-robbed-in-14-incidents-since-september-police-say/

Some highlights from the article:

*The robbery targets are children coming home from school between 2 and 5 pm.

*A small or single group of perpetrators in their late teens is believed to be responsible.

*The robbers are armed with guns and have committed battery (striking a kid in the back of the head)

*The problem is still ongoing after six weeks

*Three people called the police during the attack on one kid; officers never arrived on the scene. They did take the victim's statement over the phone a couple hours later.

What troubles me about Horsey's cartoon is that Seattle's more progressive political candidates could be a lot more "yes we agree that violent armed robberies targeting schoolchildren need to stop immediately" than Horsey gives them credit for. It's quite possible that Horsey's cartoon is a distorted mischaracterization of the progressive candidates' actual views on how to deal with the problem.

I glanced briefly at some of the Seattle candidates' statements, but haven't tried to study their policy proposals closely because I don't live or vote in Seattle.