Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Leperflesh posted:

Or, on the other hand, this is private medical information and the NFL doesn't get to decide what is disclosed to the public?

Oh sure, you're right about that.

quote:

What specter of commotio cordis? As far as we know this is the first time it's ever happened in NFL history. There's a specter of CTE looming over fans' football experience and it's vastly worse.

It's happened in college and high school, and I could swear that somebody in the 1970s in the NFL had it happen. (Edit: I'm wrong, Reggie Brown the linebacker needed CPR because of a spinal cord injury, not a heart-related issue.)

When I say a "specter" I mean something which is actually mostly not real, but people will be worried about it anyway because that's what people do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAlmightyFrog
Oct 7, 2007

squeeeak

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It's entirely possible that they don't actually know yet and that not everything is some vast NFL conspiracy

Only most things.

Not a doctor, but I would guess there will be follow up visits to ensure everything is still good. If it was a freak accident with nothing underlying, I would think the chances of it happening again to him would be pretty low. Seems there would be no reason not to play if that's what he wants to do (and he is mentally prepared to take another hit). Again, not a medical professional and I have no idea if this happening once increases it happening again.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Pronger played for 12 more years after almost dying on the ice. Considering that was more than 750 games, the opportunity for a further injury was vastly greater than an NFL player could ever face (Brady has only appeared in 340ish games).

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Whether he plays again is going to come down to a) whether he's mentally okay with it and b) what, if any, long-term physical issues may have stemmed from the initial incident. Commotio cordis presumably isn't like concussion where you're more likely to suffer another if you've suffered it once already. It's a freak thing. That said, there could be long-term ramifications from having suffered lack of blood flow, undergone CPR, etc., and some of those factors could keep him from taking the field again.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Toaster Beef posted:

Whether he plays again is going to come down to a) whether he's mentally okay with it

For me this would be the biggest part of it, especially since it was such a routine play. If it was some freak accident like one of the wires from the sky view camera snapped and hit him in the chest to cause it that would be one thing, but as a safety in the NFL there's a pretty good chance he'll be expected to make routine tackles again if he can/wants to return.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

mdemone posted:

It has to be a direct hit in a fairly compact area, which is when it happens in other sports. However the pads of football players absorb some of that energy and even more importantly, they dissipate the rest of the energy into a larger area. That's why it is extremely rare in football (but there are a few recorded instances aside from Hamlin).

It's just speculation, but maybe a hard edge of his padding was right in the right spot and transferred all the kinetic energy directly

iirc chest chest protectors aren’t effective in preventing commotio cordis and a bunch of people who have experienced it were wearing one

The real reason it is so vanishingly rare is that it requires an impact of certain force at a very precise location and time and it’s just a one in a billion chance

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Docjowles posted:

Don't worry the memelords were way ahead of you

Also Plaxico Burress with a pistol and kneeling Kaepernicks

Personally I would have gone with #41 Billy Cole if I'm playing Fortnite

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I could easily see Hamlin's family begging him not to play any more. They watched him collapse and apparently die in front of them. That's traumatic.

Chris Borland walked away from an incredibly promising and lucrative career because he became fully aware of the CTE risks and decided it wasn't worth it. Plenty of other athletes have done the same. We'll see what Hamlin and his family want, what the docs tell him, etc. and ultimately if he's physically able to play, he'll have to make a pretty tough decision. That decision will probably be tougher if he gets a lot of pressure, however well-intentioned, from fans and teammates to complete the feelgood comeback narrative that is so deeply culturally ingrained.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I could easily see Hamlin's family begging him not to play any more. They watched him collapse and apparently die in front of them. That's traumatic.

Chris Borland walked away from an incredibly promising and lucrative career because he became fully aware of the CTE risks and decided it wasn't worth it. Plenty of other athletes have done the same. We'll see what Hamlin and his family want, what the docs tell him, etc. and ultimately if he's physically able to play, he'll have to make a pretty tough decision. That decision will probably be tougher if he gets a lot of pressure, however well-intentioned, from fans and teammates to complete the feelgood comeback narrative that is so deeply culturally ingrained.

Didn’t Andrew Luck do the same? I think he got sick of the injuries, made all the money he could ever want anyway, and just quit to go fishing on his farm all day long. Can’t blame him in the slightest either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Leperflesh posted:

I dunno about Chris Borland but for Damar Hamlin, he has been 100% about football since like middleschool so I dont see him quitting. Football was his escape from living in a hellhole of a neighborhood where more of his friends died, usually to shootings, than not before they graduated highschool.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Didn’t Andrew Luck do the same? I think he got sick of the injuries, made all the money he could ever want anyway, and just quit to go fishing and reading on his farm all day long. Can’t blame him in the slightest either.

Yeah. Andrew Luck was the best

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

It's pretty amazing that one week ago Hamlan was still on a vent and now we're already talking about whether or not he plays again.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Dango Bango posted:

It's pretty amazing that one week ago Hamlan was still on a vent and now we're already talking about whether or not he plays again.

While the human body can sometimes be weirdly fragile (see: this happening in the first place), it's easy to forget that as a species we're remarkably resilient to injuries. When you pile modern medicine on top of that, you get things like this that are, honestly, miraculous. He wasn't breathing and didn't have a pulse. He was, briefly, dead. And now he's up and about, and working back towards high-level athleticism.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

its kinda funny; it may have been traumatic for everyone watching it happen, but from Damar's perspective he was playing football and then suddenly woke up in the hospital with some broken ribs

how much would being told that you almost died freak you out if you didn't really experience it, and you knew the chances of it happening again were astronomical? I could see the decision to play again not necessarily being that difficult for someone

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It's entirely possible that they don't actually know yet and that not everything is some vast NFL conspiracy
yeah lol if we're gonna work from the assumption that the NFL is conspiring to downplay any inherent risk to the game, why not consider that they're downplaying the inherent risk of playing a game during a pandemic which has already proven to cause weird heart poo poo in otherwise healthy people

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

While the human body can sometimes be weirdly fragile (see: this happening in the first place), it's easy to forget that as a species we're remarkably resilient to injuries. When you pile modern medicine on top of that, you get things like this that are, honestly, miraculous. He wasn't breathing and didn't have a pulse. He was, briefly, dead. And now he's up and about, and working back towards high-level athleticism.

I know this has been touched on before ITT and in a way your posts hints at it too but NFL athletes (and realistically any top level pro in most any sport) are so insanely strong in all aspects of their physical fitness. I remember seeing something posted about a NFL player going snowboarding for the first time and doing it very much the wrong way but their muscles being so strong and their coordination being so good, it literally didn't matter and they could stay upright even with bad technique.

I have a feeling my rear end at Damar's same age would not have bounced back as fast even if everything else was the same in terms of our treatment (to state what's probably obvious).

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know this has been touched on before ITT and in a way your posts hints at it too but NFL athletes (and realistically any top level pro in most any sport) are so insanely strong in all aspects of their physical fitness. I remember seeing something posted about a NFL player going snowboarding for the first time and doing it very much the wrong way but their muscles being so strong and their coordination being so good, it literally didn't matter and they could stay upright even with bad technique.

I have a feeling my rear end at Damar's same age would not have bounced back as fast even if everything else was the same in terms of our treatment (to state what's probably obvious).

Yeah it was Kamara just like casually bombing straight down a mountain in Montana on apparently one of his first ever runs lol. I think most of us have friends or family (or maybe even the rare goon athlete) who easily do well at any kind of athletic stuff they try. Now imagine that natural ability times 10 plus it's literally their job to train year round with the best possible facilities and coaches and yeah.

The video itself isn't anything crazy, other than doing it for the first time and immediately being very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJE5L4IifUM

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I dunno about any of you but ever since this happened I keep thinking about how mentally hosed up i would be literally forever if at 24yrs old I had a man run into me and my heart stopped and i loving died

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

beep by grandpa posted:

I dunno about any of you but ever since this happened I keep thinking about how mentally hosed up i would be literally forever if at 24yrs old I had a man run into me and my heart stopped and i loving died

Clint Malarchuk had severe PTSD after his injury.

Don't look it up if you've never seen it.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Or do if you want to see how much blood you can lose and still survive if you've got an ex-army medic right behind you (no really don't look it up).

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

on the other hand, no one wants to be the second guy to kill Hamlin, so that's gonna give you an advantage

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Grittybeard posted:

Or do if you want to see how much blood you can lose and still survive if you've got an ex-army medic right behind you (no really don't look it up).

Is this the hockey blade to the throat thing? Because I have seen that and holy poo poo no thanks.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
I've seen that once and that was enough thank you.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I can watch just about every gross injury clip, but Clint Malarchuk is the one I will never watch

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Fellatio del Toro posted:

on the other hand, no one wants to be the second guy to kill Hamlin, so that's gonna give you an advantage

Counterpoint: The NFL is full of enough psychopaths that would view “My tackle/block killed a dude” as an accomplishment.

I’m pretty sure horrible people like Taylor Lewan, or going back a bit Richie Incognito, would be proud of it.

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

The most gnarly thing about the Clint Malarchuck thing is that he skated off under his own power and said afterward something to the effect of "I didn't want my mother to watch me die on the ice"

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Rogue Elephant posted:

Adrenaline is a hell of a drug.

It’s wild to watch someone try to walk on an open tib-fib fx after a bad motorcycle wreck.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

from the replies to this i seem to remember something from a very long time ago about a dude (hockey goal keeper? i seem to recall him being by the net) who basically got his throat slit by an ice skate or something and the ice looked like an execution took place

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

beep by grandpa posted:

from the replies to this i seem to remember something from a very long time ago about a dude (hockey goal keeper? i seem to recall him being by the net) who basically got his throat slit by an ice skate or something and the ice looked like an execution took place

Did they just clean up the blood and finish after this? I imagine they have some procedures in place for biohazard cleanup, but, uh, maybe not at that scale. Although depending on how long ago it was maybe that wasn't as big a concern.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

You just do a lot of zamboni-ing.

Seriously.

It happened about 15 years ago to another guy and there was only like a 15 minute delay

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe

fartknocker posted:

Counterpoint: The NFL is full of enough psychopaths that would view “My tackle/block killed a dude” as an accomplishment.

I’m pretty sure horrible people like Taylor Lewan, or going back a bit Richie Incognito, would be proud of it.

No, I don't actually think the NFL is full of players who want their opponent's heart to stop beating

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Come to think of it, I was at a minor league game where I saw the guys go into the corner, I followed the puck, and when I looked back, it was like a gallon jug of blood had exploded on the ice. No idea what happened and NO ONE SEEMED WORRIED. Nobody on the ice seemed to react or be injured. The only time I've ever seen so much was a deer getting vaporized by a tractor trailer.

They just blew the play dead and mopped it up.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

go type in Zamboni Oil Leak into google images to see a very unfortunate coincidence :laugh:

(I really hope i'm the first to show some of you this)

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Sash! posted:

You just do a lot of zamboni-ing.

Seriously.

It happened about 15 years ago to another guy and there was only like a 15 minute delay

That makes sense, but still kind of surprising. Between that and having been at two different hockey games where someone getting checked broke the glass, it is impressive how little downtime there is for fixing issues with the rink during hockey games.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

beep by grandpa posted:

That’s Clint Malarchuk. Happened in 1989.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Another blast from the past: The guy who rescued "Baby Jessica" from the well ended up getting PTSD & other mental health problems from the incident, and later committed suicide. This even though Baby Jessica herself suffered no long-term mental or physical effects from her fall down the well - she's a married Special Ed teacher with kids. Just the pressure of the rescue itself had an enormous affect on the guy who did it.

Just being around physical trauma or high-stakes situations like that can really mess a person up.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Jan 13, 2023

Rogue Elephant
May 1, 2007

Crazy Ted posted:

Another blast from the past: The guy who rescued "Baby Jessica" from the well ended up getting PTSD & other mental health problems from the incident, and later committed suicide. This even though Baby Jessica herself suffered no long-term physical effects from her fall down the well - she's a married Special Ed teacher with kids. Just the pressure of the rescue itself had an enormous affect on the guy who did it.

Just being around physical trauma or high-stakes situations like that can really mess a person up.

I read an article about Malarchuck because of this thread, he's ok now and did the whole 'Become a born again Christian with a book and a speaking tour" thing but he only got diagnosed with PTSD because he shot himself in the head and somehow survived that as well, and that's what got him to the right therapist

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Agreed, do not do that.

Also I would absolutely retire and disappear

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I was watching the Redskins game when Joe Theismann got his compound ankle fracture.

The worst part was the defensive lineman covering his helmet earholes in an effort to un-hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

There was when the Louisville basketball player annihilated his leg and the bench players recoiled in open horror