Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

He lost his dad to a sudden medical emergency right before the season started.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's good that the Bills aren't being forced to stay in town. I hope they are accounting for the guys who don't have family in Buffalo.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Guys are still at the stadium. I have to wonder if they've just yet to cancel things.

The local radio said there were still hundreds of Bills fans in the lower bowl for a while after the game was called.

I'm feeling like I'm not sleeping tonight, can't imagine traveling and being in a strange city after seeing that live.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pain of Mind posted:

Am I the only one annoyed they keep mentioning that he made the hit on Tee Higgins? It was such a routine play that there is no fault there for either of them, but it sounds like it is trying to pass some of the blame to him.

It's hosed up.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

pasaluki posted:

I don't think they are. It to be honest looked like a complete freak thing nobody blames Tee Higgins in fact honestly the Bengals did a great job with this.

I keep thinking about Bills fans who traveled. What a lovely situation. The game probably wouldn't even be over yet.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I'm sure he's beside himself right now. Anyone who isn't an absolute sociopath would be nearly inconsolable.

Tee is a sweetheart, I've never heard anyone say a harsh word about him.

God this is all so awful.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Yeah I guess I wasn’t clued in to this particular chud stupidity.

As a general rule if you haven't heard of someone and they're a verified dumpy looking white 30 something they're a right wing grifter on the Koch teet. You don't need to know them, they're all the same.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

fsif posted:

And a bit odd. Why would Mike Brown be there?

The owners all know each other. Mike is known for having friendly relationships with the players and it wouldn't surprise me if Terry was the same way.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can calculate standings short a game and avoid any of this. depending on the week 18 result the Bengals would have a .75 or .69 win percentage and the Bills would have either a .82 or .75 win percentage. You can calculate their ownership of a particular seed or place in division against the win percentage of their opponent. Anyone who claims this would be some sort of competitive advantage should be fired into the sun.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

I'm sure the broadcast made that poo poo up and the players went out to warm up because... They were bored?

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the league was lucky that the personalities involved in the game were well suited to handle something like this. Imagine if the other team had a Schiano style coach. The NFL definitely has people at every level who could have made that much worse than it was.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Grittybeard posted:

If it's accurate that Joe Burrow was throwing passes on the sideline I doubt he was having a game of catch for fun at that point. So I believe the 5 minute thing was said at some point to someone.

Just then thankfully the coaches said what the hell are we doing here and got together and walked off the field.

The players were obviously gearing up to play the game. There's no reason for either sideline to behave the way they did if they hadn't been told the game was going to resume.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Adun posted:

That was also over 20 years ago. Thankfully the public’s sensibilities have changed since then.

Thankfully the dumb 'keep calm and carry on' sensibility to (other people's) trauma is way less prevalent than it was even a decade or so ago.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I were the NFL or ESPN I would pay somebody to read the room and temporarily disappear Adam Schefter when it's needed.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Joey Freshwater posted:

How does it work when a player is injured to the point they can't play anymore or needs ongoing treatment? Is there like an NFL insurance plan or are they just expected to fend for themselves with whatever they've made playing?

I'm pretty sure the league paid for the entirety of Shazier's treatment, which is probably the best contemporary equivalent.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Hamlin's situation is a total unknown and there are plausible circumstances that could make this game meaningless. It's smart of them to hold off on a decision.

Anybody who thought they were just going to fly Buffalo back into town today or tomorrow is dramatically underestimating the logistics involved would be my guess.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

And, realistically, the only reason that they called the week after 9/11 was the enormous practical barrier of "you can't fly anywhere."

It really does seem like some people think it takes like 30 minutes to pack everybody into a plane whenever the league wants.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Training staff got there within a minute of him collapsing, It's just a question of how quickly they figured out what they needed to do.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

syzpid posted:

Sorry if this has been posted

https://twitter.com/MikeSilver/status/1610373306783502336

Pretty much what everyone suspects, the league really wanted to play the game, the players/coaches refused.

Hamlin had multiple former acquaintances and teammates on the Bengals. The Bengals long snapper was a teammate and Tyler Boyd, probably one of the primary leaders on the roster, has known Hamlin for like a decade.

NFL teams are incestuous, They all come from the same 20 or 30 colleges.

The league would do well to remember that.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The B men.

Bengals

Bills

Brothers in arms.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So happy to hear the good news. Hope the trend continues.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

LeeMajors posted:

The last neuro intact save I had, I defibbed him out of ventricular tachycardia in a hotel lobby, he woke up, snatched the tube out (with an inflated cuff :stonk:) and vomited seafood everywhere screaming WHAT THE gently caress HAPPENED

Lol.

That is intensely relatable.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can't imagine at all being told all the insane crazy poo poo that that dude is going to get told at some point in the near future.

People were so concerned about you, individually, that they canceled the first NFL game in progress in living memory, your charity made more in 72 hours than you might make in your entire career, The overwhelming majority of people in a country that can't agree on literally anything were supportive of you and you've basically been one of the primary new stories nationally since you went down.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Man the bills might have really hosed up.

https://youtu.be/YyU59PN3njc

The YouTube video is titled damar Hamlin has passed away but no one's acting like anything unusual is going on during the press conference.

I think they might have accidentally ran with an alternate headline and not realized.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Weird for me comments are turned off.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
84,000 subscribers too God drat

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lol 10 years.

I would think being potentially told that a 24-year-old dude died wouldn't really prime people to spend a bunch of money on cryptocurrency but maybe I just don't understand the grift.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The actual, real Cincinnati Bengals YouTube account only has 60,000 subscribers.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It's fun when you notice the same scammers targeting multiple related channels. There's someone targeting 40k content who's traveled between like five different content creators in the last month.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only time I was fully sedated I woke up mumbling a chipoltle order apparently.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
drat. What a boss.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I have a hard time imagining a way you could criticize the NFL's inability to prevent this specific thing from happening and be casually familiar with any contact sport, let alone professional football.

I mean, technically we don't even know for a fact that contact caused the issue in the first place. No one medically involved with the injury has determined a cause, at least not publicly.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Oh drat, and here I thought he was gonna suit up and play on Sunday.

If you needed a sternum to play football Herbie would be on IR. Rub some dirt on it kid.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think we'll know when he needs less 24/7 attention because he'll go back home.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Joe Buck said what he said. Teams cancelled not the league

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1612655680447549441

This was obvious from minute one. Buck isn't going to just make poo poo up while he's watching somebody get chest compressions.

Good on him for not letting it sit though.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I can tell you from experience that driving from Cincinnati to Buffalo takes a hell of a lot longer than 3 hours.

I was actually en route from Cincinnati to Buffalo when the manas steak was posted.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I've seen that once and that was enough thank you.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Clear eyes
Pig heart
Oink oink

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

beep by grandpa posted:

I know this thread has run its course but just wondering if anyone else but me has a lot of historic plane crash simulation recreations/retellings in their youtube feed now as a result of some earlier posts in this thread lol

Yep.