Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight. Seeing Hamlin go limp and drop like a sack of rocks brought back the vivid memories of my three-day-old, after getting his first exam at the pediatrician, going limp in my arms because being placed on a cold scale in a cold room triggered something. Thank god we were *at* the pediatrician and they brought him back but I'm just so loving.... thousand yard staring right now.

Its heartening to see the GoFundMe up over 1000% now: https://www.gofundme.com/f/mxksc-the-chasing-ms-foundation-community-toy-drive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Chief McHeath posted:

*athlete has heart attack*

*people give reasonable explanation of how that could occur in these circumstances*

“IT MUSTA BEEN DA COVID EYYYYY”

For real, get to sucking
No one has said this, gently caress off. If anything should get a probation it should be posts like this, there is no place for it here.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

The biggest crime last night was ESPN forcing us to listen to Schefter.
Agreed.

Spaced God posted:

I just had the horrifying thought of how urban meyer would handle this
I like to poo poo on him as much or more than the next guy but he actually handled a Jaguar's player's wife giving birth during the season really well. He's an arrogant rear end in a top hat but I dont think he would have been clamoring to keep the game going either.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cthulu Carl posted:

I was watching on ESPN2 (flipped over when the Rose Bowl was a done deal and never switched back to ESPN), and they switched over to SVP and Ryan Clark like ESPN did. But at some point, someone decided to resume ESPN2's normal schedule and it suddenly switched to... The World Knife Throwing Championship.
Yeah I was watching via SlingTV and was not pleased when Sling's ESPN broadcast switched to that.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Jarmak posted:

"So what" is that it doesn't seem likely to me.
Thats fair, but I dont think comparing a horrible tragedy outside of the sport (9/11) with a guy almost dying on the field of play and potentially could still die or be severely permanently negatively impacted is a fair comparison. Football is an American sport and everyone in America was affected by 9/11; Damar Hamlin is a football player who could have very easily died on the field last night playing the sport that is being discussed giving all other players a week off from.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

SpaceDrake posted:

(also lol gofundme is having trouble staying up under the sheer crush of people coming on to donate)
Refreshing it to see the donation number march ever upward is what is getting me through the day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Techno Remix posted:

Why does it feel so weird to be so affected by this? Like, I’ve seen people get hurt before, even pretty badly, but this is really sticking in my mind and I can’t get it out.

His team and his family are suffering so much more, I feel like such an rear end for feeling like I have any reason to be fixated on this.
Its human nature. I played EVE: Online with Chargers fan VileRat. I only interacted with him via the internet but got to know him a bit. When he died in Benghazi I was devastated and it still hurts even all these years later. I'll never meeting Damar Hamlin in person but I was witness to what happened to him and all I can think about is how he needs to be fine after this so he can put all these GoFundMe funds to good use.

syzpid posted:

Pretty much what everyone suspects, the league really wanted to play the game, the players/coaches refused.
I really dont want to see this rehashed for another 3 pages again but just because he was told to warm up does not mean the NFL phoned in and said "THE GAME MUST GO ON". People have posted what is written in the rules about what to do after a major injury and the refs initially followed those rules. Thankfully people were better than that and the players left the field instead.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 4, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Do we know who this guy is? I'm getting strong "my uncle works for Nintendo" vibes but I'm also out of it and live under a rock.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fsif posted:

Josh Reed is a Buffalo reporter, yeah.
Oh ok cool, thank you for confirming.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

adaz posted:

Breer has some more specifics about the 5 minute thing. It sounds like everyone just started following the letter of the law for resuming play for a bit until saner heads prevailed
Exactly as a bunch of us here thought.

Enos Cabell posted:

Zac Taylor is a good dude.
Agreed.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I just F5'd the GFM and its up over 7 million :unsmith:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I want to be really excited about this but it seems like a weird way to announce he's no longer under. Maybe its just because I've been following it closely and care a lot for whatever reason but I guess I would expect an announcement from a more official source?

edit:
Oh, there it is. SWEET.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Awesome. Hope they don't show him the GoFundme for a while to avoid any more heart attacks
lol

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 5, 2023

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beep by grandpa posted:

Part of comedy + jokes is embellishment :ssh:
Yeah but not appropriate for this thread. The shitposter should be ignored, not egged on by more people making spin off jokes about the lovely post.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Weebly posted:

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

that's not really true, everyone uses the same AHA guidelines

in this case, he's probably considered 'critical' bc he's on a vasoactive medication to regulate his cardiac functioning. Or maybe he's on some kind of monitoring that's only available in the ICU like arterial blood pressure monitoring. Or maybe they're keeping him in the ICU for no good reason at all.
I’d wager no good reason at all or easier to control flow of guests in the icu. (ICUs usually tend to be very locked units with tighter guest controls).

Plus it’s easier to staff. Once he gets to regular or step down floors the nurses aren’t going to be checking as frequently because they’ll have bigger ratios

If I’m the nurse working with him that shift? Sweet deal. A probably super nice and grateful dude who really only needs eyes on the monitor for anything odd. The only part that would suck would be how much your charting would be double or triple checked.

Vasoconstrictor meds this late would be odd for someone like him without any assumed comorbid conditions.

Being extubated this long wouldn’t require that frequent of ABGs so you could just straight stick him instead of keeping an art line which makes getting the patient t up and moving slightly more difficult.
Its this:

BlindSite posted:

The other side to this is, do you want to be the person who signs off on a clean bill of health and have him drop dead a day later?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Enos Cabell posted:

Can you imagine seeing either of those tweets six and a half freaking days ago?
No. This is awesome.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:woop:

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Leperflesh posted:

I could easily see Hamlin's family begging him not to play any more. They watched him collapse and apparently die in front of them. That's traumatic.

Chris Borland walked away from an incredibly promising and lucrative career because he became fully aware of the CTE risks and decided it wasn't worth it. Plenty of other athletes have done the same. We'll see what Hamlin and his family want, what the docs tell him, etc. and ultimately if he's physically able to play, he'll have to make a pretty tough decision. That decision will probably be tougher if he gets a lot of pressure, however well-intentioned, from fans and teammates to complete the feelgood comeback narrative that is so deeply culturally ingrained.
I dunno about Chris Borland but for Damar Hamlin, he has been 100% about football since like middleschool so I dont see him quitting. Football was his escape from living in a hellhole of a neighborhood where more of his friends died, usually to shootings, than not before they graduated highschool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

beep by grandpa posted:

go type in Zamboni Oil Leak into google images to see a very unfortunate coincidence :laugh:

(I really hope i'm the first to show some of you this)
Posting to say this is my first time seeing it and I got a good laugh.