Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SirPablo posted:

Reminds me of an event that happened in Minnesota - 14 year old Patrick Schoonover just collapsed on the ice during a hockey game, dead.

https://twitter.com/playforpatrick?lang=en

Mooseontheloose posted:

I remember in the late 90s or early 2000s somethign similar in the boston area, kid got checked at the wrong time and collapsed on the ice.

Boston posters / olds may remember Reggie Lewis, too. Celtics player who died on the court during practice of sudden heart failure.

bucksmash posted:

Fair enough. From the perspective of someone who has never seen something like this, the dawning realization that I may have seen someone die in real time made my stomach lurch a bit.

I am extremely grateful that I happened to step out of the room for 5 minutes like 10 seconds before the hit happened. Walked back in to an ambulance on the field and the most human emotion I have ever heard out of Buck :smith:

Fate Accomplice posted:

drat, GFM errored twice but went through the third time, and now I get email receipts for all three donations.

works for me, donated 3x my planned amount, feels OK.

Some dude in another discord I'm on claims to work for GoFundMe and says they are getting annihilated by traffic tonight because of this, had to page people to respond to the demand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Feel like Clark and SVP deserve a daytime emmy for the last few hours.

I cannot get over how amazing Clark's commentary is. How did they just immediately get this guy out of nowhere and he's spitting the realest poo poo I've ever heard

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ok my bad I obviously do not watch much ESPN. Regardless, Clark is crushing it tonight

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 3, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Don We Now posted:

They were killing em!

come on man

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Chamale posted:

The NFL, NHL, and MLB have each had one player die from an injury or heart attack during a game. Each league changed their policies to prevent it from happening again.

I am all for this but what do you actually change to stop this? It appears to be an absolute freak accident unless the dude had a known heart condition or something.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kilometers Davis posted:

That typo made me audibly lol and was exactly what I needed while following this awful story so thank you for that

Same. This is now my head canon (especially since the real story is terrible) and Lamar no longer has the funniest poop story in sports

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

SpaceDrake posted:

Yeah, like, 5m+ means that it's a bit more than a toy drive for McKees Rocks now. Hell, once he recovers he's going to have to decide what the larger scope is going to be - multiple toy drives across the less-privileged parts of Pittsburgh? Also some in Buffalo and Cincinnati, two more cities hollowed out by US de-industrialization? A more intense hometown focus and trying to spotlight the issues a lot of lakes-area cities face with the current arrangement of the American economy? Trying to go national with the toy drives?

He'll have options, but he's absolutely going to need some help sorting out what's practical and sustainable with that endowment and what isn't. Hopefully he can get some good advice once things calm down.

Yeah and it's money at a scale that, if invested in something safe, is basically self sustaining. Fundraising becomes a non issue unless he wants to get a lot more ambitious. Hell he could put it in a lovely online bank account and it would throw off almost $200k per year in interest at current rates which is orders of magnitude beyond what he'd been doing.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

At the risk of not being cynical enough I refuse to imagine that the Pagula's wouldn't cover whatever the hell medical and care of life bills he has going forward indefinitely.

Yeah even in the hellscape that is American healthcare I have to imagine he gets basically a blank check for a long time if not life on all expenses from some combination of the Bills and the NFL. Hanging him out to dry would be thermonuclear PR. Although it's not like the NFL is a stranger to such things.

Docjowles fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 4, 2023

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Kalli posted:

I mean the team / league will cover him for a long while. But there's a whole lot of former players who have had massive struggles post retirement with health issues that you think the league would be taking better care of but aren't.

Yeah I hear this but feel like Damar is a special case. This is the biggest story in sports right now and the country is watching. If/when he recovers they can't just say "lol get hosed rookie idiot". They will be buried alive.

They also should be doing more for all those random O linemen and linebackers with brain disease or chronic pain that leads to chronic opioid abuse or whatever, but that's a separate topic.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

TheKevman posted:

I was always skeptical of the profession as well, having had the former.

Then I had an ex who got in a ski accident, could barely walk, the doctor's answers were painkillers and back surgery, and she met a chiro thru a friend of a friend that was the latter.

Now she walks pain free and doesn't have to go in anymore either for "maintenance" or whatever other term they use to try and get you in all the time.

Yeah when my wife was pregnant with our first child she was suffering from pretty severe back pain. She got referred to a chiro and ended up going out of desperation. He fixed it in like one appointment and she was fine the rest of the duration.

We were both shocked. I am still extremely skeptical of the profession as a whole but apparently there are some people using the title who do real poo poo :shrug:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Sash! posted:

My dad had surgery and I was there when he was coming out. The nurse saw he was stirring and she asked him how he was doing. He slurred out "who are you?" and she replied "I'm your nurse Lisa." In his haze, he clearly misheard her as he angrily declared "Lethal? That's a terrible name for a nurse" before going back to sleep.

My grandpa used to see a Dr. Kilgore which I always thought was an extremely on the nose :black101: name for a surgeon

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah less than a week ago we were all terrified that we had watched a man die on the field. This poo poo rules :unsmith:

I kind of hope nobody has told him about the GFM yet and they're waiting for him to just randomly check it and flip his poo poo. Maybe this is a bad plan for somebody with a compromised heart.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Joe Buck said what he said. Teams cancelled not the league

https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1612655680447549441

This is my surprised face :geno:

McDermott, Taylor, and the players are cool

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

I was wondering about that. Air travel seems stressful on the body? Although I defer to Lee and other medgoons on that. Presumably he'd be flying in some sort of controlled situation with medical equipment and staff, not just rocking up to Southwest in boarding group C.

CIN to BUF is a totally reasonable single day drive, too, though.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

beep by grandpa posted:

They can just patch it back in if they want to, that is if this doesn't turn into some giant stupid culture war poo poo where suddenly thousands of people absolutely NEEEED to watch a 2 second cpr animation celebration

I guarantee that somewhere on Twitter some broke brain maniac is ranting about the woke mob ruining Madden because that’s what the internet is now.

lol at that Hernandez thing

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

You telling me nobody ever ran around Fortnite with a combat knife in a Bills #32 jersey?

Don't worry the memelords were way ahead of you

Also Plaxico Burress with a pistol and kneeling Kaepernicks

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

If docs sign off that it was a total freak accident and there is no more risk now than there was before, I don't see why he shouldn't be able to. Seems like there could also easily be previously unknown risk factors for him that make it a terrible idea. But my feeling on it all comes down to what the medical professionals say.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

mdemone posted:

It was commotio cordis, which is the latter part of your question.

If he had presented any kind of heart defect at all, we would have already been told about it (because the league would want to deflect the idea that ordinary football collisions can cause your heart to stop).

Do we know this for certain? All I see online is rampant speculation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

tangy yet delightful posted:

I know this has been touched on before ITT and in a way your posts hints at it too but NFL athletes (and realistically any top level pro in most any sport) are so insanely strong in all aspects of their physical fitness. I remember seeing something posted about a NFL player going snowboarding for the first time and doing it very much the wrong way but their muscles being so strong and their coordination being so good, it literally didn't matter and they could stay upright even with bad technique.

I have a feeling my rear end at Damar's same age would not have bounced back as fast even if everything else was the same in terms of our treatment (to state what's probably obvious).

Yeah it was Kamara just like casually bombing straight down a mountain in Montana on apparently one of his first ever runs lol. I think most of us have friends or family (or maybe even the rare goon athlete) who easily do well at any kind of athletic stuff they try. Now imagine that natural ability times 10 plus it's literally their job to train year round with the best possible facilities and coaches and yeah.

The video itself isn't anything crazy, other than doing it for the first time and immediately being very good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJE5L4IifUM