Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
this thread needs cpr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

Medical stuff

I’m wondering what the protocol is for acls in the nfl in that situation? How quick can they get his pads off to do compressions? How long before it actually started? How long before someone realized what was actually happening?

His heart was stopped when he dropped. It wasn’t stopped when they finally realized he was unresponsive, checked his pulse, rolled him over, realized what was happening, got his pads and jersey on, did a pulse check, started compressions, got the AED on, got a 12 lead hooked up etc

Maybe I'm cynical, but I suspect the only long-term thing that will come out of this (for the NFL) will be better training and making sure the right equipment is available in every stadium.

Nov 6, 2002

The biggest crime last night was ESPN forcing us to listen to Schefter.

Nov 6, 2002

Spaced God posted:

I just had the horrifying thought of how urban meyer would handle this

Can you perform CPR by kicking?

Nov 6, 2002

The thing I found surprising is I never realized how quickly cardiac arrest causes unconsciousness. I guess the Hollywood portrayal makes it seem much different.

Nov 6, 2002

who gives a poo poo if they said five minutes or not initially, they made the right decision

Nov 6, 2002

Bengals, the new Cardiac Cats?

Nov 6, 2002

Wonder what the reaction would have been had this happened in practice and not on MNF.

Nov 6, 2002

Quite a bit, but the situation was different though because the coaching staff caused his death. It wasn't an unpreventable freak medical occurrence.

Nov 6, 2002

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Not true. Old people who have seen dentists all their lives don't get full plate dentures anymore. Dentures used to be so common that denture cream and denture cleaners were advertised on TV.

Why? You used to go to the dentist only if your mouth hurt. At that point, pulling the tooth might be the only answer. In the 1950s, one dentist (forget his name, obit was in the NYT) advocated for regular preventative care. Result? Small cavities were caught and fixed before they became abscesses.

Poor people can't afford preventative dentistry, and dentures are far more expensive now thanks to low demand. It's a double whammy.

I would wager he's probably talking about all the stupid add-on services dentists try to upsell you on.

Nov 6, 2002

sheri posted:

I feel like most chiros are the quack "I can fix your allergies by adjusting your back" types but I'm assuming there are some out there that actually stick to the scope of what they can and cannot do and are helpful.

I met a Chiro who claimed to have helped a brain damaged child regrow a healthy brain stem. For real.

Nov 6, 2002

FizFashizzle posted:

I don't think I've ever met a dentist that didn't cheat on their wife.

you try staring down a different pair of tits every 15 minutes

Nov 6, 2002

Dietrich posted:

You should probably look into it because it's really not. The dental industry is almost completely unregulated compared to the rest of medicine, and there are many "dental group" offices that have price per patient hour type metrics kept against their dentists (who are usually fresh out of dental school with massive debt) that will fire any doctor who doesn't drill enough teeth. The dentists who own their own practice and office are becoming fewer and farther between as equipment costs go up and honestly that was never a guarantee that they weren't crooked anyway because the dental profession as a whole doesn't have formalized standards of care based on studies or objective test results, but mostly subjective observation of a patient's mouth or xrays.

If you start talking to people you know about their dental history, anyone who's ever switched dentists or moved from city to city will probably have a story about a cavity that they were told they had that a second dentist didn't notice. I know it happened to me, I had a dentist telling me that I needed a root canal and about 5 fillings, didn't see a dentist for 2.5 years due to moving and covid, and when I finally established myself with a new dentist was told that everything was great and to keep up the good brushing. If dentistry was an actual medical science, this poo poo wouldn't happen all the time.

Related: https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2019/05/the-trouble-with-dentistry/586039/

Nov 6, 2002

No days off.

Nov 6, 2002

i heard the best way to give cpr is with a hammer

Nov 6, 2002

Damar Hamlin, another victim of the woke mind virus.

Nov 6, 2002

kidcoelacanth posted:

wonder what they told him

Vegas won.

Nov 6, 2002

Leperflesh posted:

I also listen to ATC for plane accidents (it's cool how people work together, follow these arcane protocols, and stay cool under pressure), but never ones where someone dies. I probably wouldn't want to listen to one involving someone I knew, either. Too personal makes it too emotional?

here's a page you'll want to avoid

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/lastwords.htm

Nov 6, 2002

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the reassuring part is they get less frequent over time, and the causes get more and more niche. in the older ones its poo poo like "no one maintained the wings for 3 years" and now its "3 pilots were all collectively idiots and all did all the wrong things and still they had a shot until they did another dumb thing"

Hello Air France 447.

Nov 6, 2002

Don't let people who didn't see the game live steal your NFL Game Viewer Valor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 6, 2002

You're welcome.