Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
prayers up for the big dog Damar Hamlin. very upsetting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Chamale posted:

Hamlin had covid six weeks ago, and covid raises the risk of cardiac events for a year. So that could have been a factor, although I don't think it can be determined with an individual case.

cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this person isn't real

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kalli posted:

NFL Cancelled the mandatory press conferences tonight btw.

I knew the game was cancelled, but they might've been dumb to make the coaches go out and give their pressers.

did the nfl cancel them or did the coaches just say "go gently caress yourself" like they did after the refs gave them 5 minutes

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Lifespan posted:

Fantastic news that he will likely survive. Even if he completely turns around in a week I can't imagine he would play again :(

football players are loving crazy. if doctors clear him he will absolutely suit up for week 18

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Vitals back to normal is a really good thing? Yes?

I mean, obviously it's not *bad*, but is that significant to his condition?

hard to tell without more info. it means he isn't physically dead

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this man's name is Ben Baby

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

E Depois do Adeus posted:

NFL players have chest protectors, right? How long does it take to access a player's chest to do CPR/ apply an AED or leads?

they wear shoulder pads, unless you have fractured ribs you don't wear anything to protect your chest specifically

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

fartknocker posted:

Yes, he's forgiven :jerkbag:

gently caress that guy and I hope ESPN fires him tonight

he isn't a real person it's a fake account

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Spaced God posted:

i hope everyone here is doing okay tonight

thank you. in times like this I always say "look for the helpers" and here you are, I appreciate it in this trying time

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

SKULL.GIF posted:

shoulderpads nearly always encompass pads for the front of the chest

Wow cool. Didn’t know that

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Koirhor posted:

Someone get Obama to cincy!!

Lol

PainterofCrap posted:

When I played (over 40-years ago), there were large sheets of very thick plastic that were essentially the framework for the shoulder-pad assembly, and these covered the ribcage to the sternum & the upper back. These were laced together at a vertical seam, front & back. They provided excellent protection from broken ribs.

for sure. nowadays WRs and Dbacks wear cut down versions of most pads for speed, their shoulder pads don't typically extend far enough to fully obstruct cpr hand placement. if you couldn't untie the laces you could just put your hands underneath the shell. but my first responder training is a couple years out of date so maybe they tell you to go higher up now which would gently caress you (or if it were a different position's pads)

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

I hope Tee isn't too upset. poor guy

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Drunk Nerds posted:

I'm seriously crying my balls off...

this is a really funny phrase. Sorry about your kid and I hope they are ok and healthy forever

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

thank you Ira for this guidance. I will

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Kvantum posted:

Has sports ever had a day like this, ever?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nika_riots

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

JAMOOOL posted:

my god yes my 2 year old had a seizure and I got a call from the day care that made it sound like she had just spontaneously died, I remember those 10 minutes being just absolutely gutwrenching, like reality was folding upon itself. she was okay though thank god

I’m glad she was ok that poo poo is terrifying

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

A Buffer Gay Dude posted:

Incredible stuff from the mods, who are responding to this situation 420% worse than the loving NFL lmao

nobody cares about covid doomer poo poo dork

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

the times is a PR rag, much as I hate Joe Buck I'll take his word on it

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Impossibly Perfect Sphere posted:

who gives a poo poo if they said five minutes or not initially

the referees

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Jarmak posted:

I'll readily admit this particular empathy circuit in my brain is a little busted from my own traumatic experiences but this strikes me as a rather extreme reaction. Personal tragedies happen in sports all the time without the whole league coming to a halt. We'd be talking about the NFL treating this the same as 9/11.

so what

e: this isn't rhetorical

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

MJeff posted:

he did exactly what he set out to do and got exactly what he wanted: taking something and making it about Skip Bayless.

and it's ok to call him a stinky fuckhole for the tweet, even if he did it on purpose

adaz posted:

I hope, and assume, the first thing they do is check for response and on not getting any check for pulse.. then immediately begin CPR. I'm not sure if you cut the pads or whatever which might take longer (do the pads cover the sternum enough to interfere ith cpr?

they can, but on a safety they're super unlikely to prevent full sternum access (since DBs and WRs all wear smaller/lighter pads for speed and agility) in the unlikely event they couldn't pop it open immediately

mdemone posted:

Although I did see a pretty similar length of time for a successful CPR once, patient awake and alert within the hour. I swear it had to be ten minutes without a pulse although I wasn't checking my watch

I listen to a podcast where the host (former D1 athlete who coincidentally was invited to Bills camp after graduation) went into cardiac arrest and his untrained wife did cpr for 20 minutes until paramedics could arrive and he made a full recovery

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

adaz posted:

Breer has some more specifics about the 5 minute thing. It sounds like everyone just started following the letter of the law for resuming play for a bit until saner heads prevailed

https://mobile.twitter.com/AlbertBreer/status/1610656849422082055

is there any video of this stuff? I'd like to see it cause it sounds heartening

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

adaz posted:

Yeah, some 30 second clips is what was shown here and there. The one with Zac having his headphones off you can just see Sean is barely keeping it together. The tweet with the sensitive content is what Zac was seeing from the Bills players - josh allen, diggs, etc - wandering around with thousand yard stares and openly weeping. That's when he walked over.

https://twitter.com/rgfray1/status/1610117824214614016
https://twitter.com/GrantB911/status/1610097611385737216
https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1610157380267917313
https://twitter.com/SportsContent23/status/1610107405739913218

thanks. Taylor seems like a good dude

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

cool

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

nice I’m glad this was posted here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

if I’m awake enough to able to handwrite a question it seems like I'd also be able to freak out at the throat tube