Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm not saying it's likely, but at this point I'd be completely unsurprised if he faked his district residency, US citizenship, and/or not having murdered the original George Santos and stolen his identity

"Whomst among us hasn't..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'm not saying it's likely, but at this point I'd be completely unsurprised if he faked his district residency, US citizenship, and/or not having murdered the original George Santos and stolen his identity

Given the usual levels of projection at play, by the end of the week someone will accuse Pelosi of having smuggled Santos into the country thinking that he'd be one more reliable non-white vote in her quest to kickstart the Great Replacement.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
To re-clarify something that's come up a few times already, I don't believe we presently know that Gaetz is getting Armed Services committee chair. Rumors have spread that he's getting the chair or a subcommittee chair- but we really don't know.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

Given the usual levels of projection at play, by the end of the week someone will accuse Pelosi of having smuggled Santos into the country thinking that he'd be one more reliable non-white vote in her quest to kickstart the Great Replacement.

I predict Elise Stefanik.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

koolkal posted:

There is a close to 0% chance Santos gets removed.

He's going to be indicted and convicted by the republican long island DA investigating him, McCarthy will incompetently attempt to lean on him as a fellow republican that just makes everything worse,
he will still be in congress while in prison and when questioned on this by reporters McCarthy will promise to "talk to him"

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

koolkal posted:

There is a close to 0% chance Santos gets removed.

The extradition request from Brazil will be pretty awkward; I wish I understood the kinda-immunity stuff in the Constitution.

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 8, 2023

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He's going to be indicted and convicted by the republican long island DA investigating him, McCarthy will incompetently attempt to lean on him as a fellow republican that just makes everything worse,
he will still be in congress while in prison and when questioned on this by reporters McCarthy will promise to "talk to him"

Well he is under investigation by both state and Feds which it looks like his campaign is full of crimes. He is no doubt going to be indicted and convicted quickly. In the new rules they just pushed they are changing the rules to basically automatically remove someone when they are convicted of crime, although I don’t see them getting passed.

Really though once the investigators start dropping what he did Santos is going to be radioactive. There is a level of protection and circling the wagons both parties do for members but I am pretty sure they are going to send that guy out to the sharks. There is zero upside to defending him at all and absolutely less than zero chance he will win re-election in that district. Thomas Suozzi is going to cruise to take that seat again in 2024 and the GOP has likely lost any chance at winning again there for quite awhile due to Santos.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Djarum posted:

Well he is under investigation by both state and Feds which it looks like his campaign is full of crimes. He is no doubt going to be indicted and convicted quickly. In the new rules they just pushed they are changing the rules to basically automatically remove someone when they are convicted of crime, although I don’t see them getting passed.

That would admittedly be funny if it got passed and immediately blew up in Republican faces.

Especially since the "crimes" they want to investigate Democrats from will be summarily laughed out of the DOJ office.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

OddObserver posted:

The extradition request from Brazil will be pretty awkward; I wish I understood the kinda-immunity stuff in the Constitution.

The immunity in question doesn't really exist for all practical purposes from what I understand. The rule is that Congressmen can't be arrested while congress is in session except for treason, felonies and breaches of the peace which has been interpreted as meaning basically any crime. Apparently it was common practice in the colonial era to arrest people when they got sued which doesn't really happen anymore.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

It was common legal practice at the time because basically no systems existed to track if people were actually REAL, much less where they were. So if someone was getting sued for enough to bankrupt them 1( they often would end up in debtors jail after to try and shake any hidden money out of them and 2( they had very little to stop them from throwing everything of value in a cart and moving towns to evade justice.

About half the constitution is patching problems that other early and ancient democracies had, thus setting up for having thousands of teachable moments to the next wave of democracies.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

OddObserver posted:

the what now request

can't tell if you're joking

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the what now request

George Santos committed check fraud in Brazil in 2008.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Pendragon posted:

This is what I'm trying to figure out: HOW is he keeping the rest in line? What's the benefit to supporting McCarthy for the "true" Republicans?

I'd say it's "party over politics" but McCarthy has made it really loving clear that it's not about what's best for the party (which would have been stepping aside over the holidays and allowing a compromise speaker get approved on the first ballot), it's about what's best for him.

I'd say it's McCarthy controlling chairships and such, but he's made it VERY clear that you get ahead in the McCarthy regime by opposing him.

Are they looking ahead to the next term, or to the term after that, hoping that Republicans get a big enough majority that the true party members get their just reward? Seems hopeful given that a decent (and possibly growing) number of Republicans support "No governance is better than some governance".

Do they fear McCarthy's campaign chest would be used against them?

Is there anyone that's figured this out?

The simple answer is that nobody else is stupid enough to want the Speaker seat right now. Managing this much chaos with a slim majority is a miserable job.

Kammat posted:

If anyone's curious, here are the raw text and an analysis of what's currently pending for house rules. There's still a ton to finalize and they need formally introduced but you can see what were in for Monday.

Monday is going to be pretty funny. Here's some highlights:
  • a rule prohibiting the House from considering any law that increases spending
  • a rule instituting a 3/5ths supermajority requirement to raise taxes
  • weakening the ability of the Ethics Committee to consider evidence from criminal cases in which a member was convicted
  • reinstating the Holman Rule, which is likely unconstitutional to actually use
  • revoking collective bargaining rights from Congressional employees
  • revoking additional funding the IRS got under the previous Congress
  • sets aside a specific fund for "resolving contested elections"
  • creates a COVID subcommittee to investigate "the origins of the Coronavirus pandemic, including the Federal Government’s funding of gain-of-function research, the use of taxpayer funds and relief programs to address the pandemic, the effectiveness of laws and regulations to address the Coronavirus pandemic and prepare for future pandemics, the development of vaccines and treatments and the implementation of vaccine mandates for federal employees and the military, the economic impact of the pandemic, including state and local government responses, the impact of school closures on American children, Executive Branch decisions and communications related to the pandemic, the protection of whistleblowers who provided information about improper activities, and inter-government cooperation regarding oversight of the preparedness for and response to the pandemic"
  • requiring the House to consider seven bills, including a ban on govt funding for abortions and a bill that criminalizes not giving full support to "survivors" of attempted abortions
  • requiring the House to consider resolutions on creating a "Select Committee on the Strategic Competition Between the United States and the Chinese Communist Party" and a "a Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government"
  • requiring the House to consider resolutions on condemning police defenders and condemning attacks on pro-life organizations (???)

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
How much of that is actually going to happen

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

I don't know. I don't think anyone knows at this point.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Great idea to open up a bunch of investigations and setting aside money for bullshit after wanting to *checks notes* make it harder to get tax revenues or indeed raise taxes at all.

Gonna guess the "disputed election fund" would just be more money laundering.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Froghammer posted:

How much of that is actually going to happen

The ones involving committee investigations and the ones involving rules for the House are plausible. Anything requiring passing a law is less likely unless they can weld it to a federal must-pass bill, which appears to be a no-go unless a much larger share of the R caucus is actually in favor of it.

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

Main Paineframe posted:

The simple answer is that nobody else is stupid enough to want the Speaker seat right now. Managing this much chaos with a slim majority is a miserable job.

• a rule instituting a 3/5ths supermajority requirement to raise taxes
3/5th is an interesting fraction to use.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Twincityhacker posted:

I don't know. I don't think anyone knows at this point.

Yeah, if the last week has taught us anything its that McCarthy, Scalise and McHenry are loving terrible at vote counting and whipping. Pelosi would dig up your favorite fourth grade teacher to tell you she was disappointed in you for not voting the right way, McCarthy just begs you on his hands and knees.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Can't wait for the Select Subcommittee on the Weaponization of the Federal Government to come to the realization "It was us. It was us all along!"

Also the national jinxing of being unable to consider anything that raises spending after a massive disaster. Sorry Texas, we'd love to help you with that meteor falling into the eye of the hurricane over Crenshaw's house. Unfortunately that would cost money and we aren't allowed to spend any more.

Youth Decay posted:

3/5th is an interesting fraction to use.

Honestly I''m still not sure whether it's an intentional "lol we're racist trash" or just an accidental wanted to say 60% in "legislativeese" and the only people checking our numbers are racist trash thing.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
I'm pretty sure every supermajority requirement in Congress involves either a 2/3rds or 3/5ths majority, so if they chose it to be cackling silent film villain levels of racist they chose poorly because it's 99% indistinguishable from a perfectly ordinary choice.

Vincent Van Goatse fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 8, 2023

Mizaq
Sep 12, 2001

Monkey Magic
Toilet Rascal
Those darned police defenders and their so-called Blue Line. We need to unappropriate the police.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Gyges posted:

Honestly I''m still not sure whether it's an intentional "lol we're racist trash" or just an accidental wanted to say 60% in "legislativeese" and the only people checking our numbers are racist trash thing.

They could have gone with 88/140

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Once a Rules Package is agreed to, can it be voted on/replaced again within the same Congress? Does that depend on the Rules Package itself the way speaker vote threshold does?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
This explains a lot.

https://twitter.com/BadLipReading/status/1611934183110365184?s=20&t=QpwzZufxTTVqEaT9MbbCcg

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

Also the national jinxing of being unable to consider anything that raises spending after a massive disaster. Sorry Texas, we'd love to help you with that meteor falling into the eye of the hurricane over Crenshaw's house. Unfortunately that would cost money and we aren't allowed to spend any more.

They would put exceptions in. It's probably going to just be "dem states don't get any help". If New York and New Jersey get another hurricane sandy, there's no help coming from the federal government.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I'd say New York has decent odds of getting help, since New York is about the only reason the Republicans have the House. Obviously we're dealing with a caucus of scorpions, but the way things are looking any loose block of votes is enough to force McCarthy to grovel.

Still can't believe the Republicans are seriously thinking about giving each member the ability to suddenly declare "Chaos Reigns" at any moment. Especially since McCarthy is only holding onto his seat by essentially half a vote.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Google Jeb Bush posted:

the what now request

he is probably the same George Santos as a George Santos who committed felonies in Brazil
i hope they gently caress up passing rules

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

tbf it's equally possible he murdered that George Santos and assumed his identity
has anyone pressed cold iron against him to see if he's some kind of fae? all i'm saying is if George Santos is a skinwalker i won't be surprised

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Relevant Tangent posted:

all i'm saying is if George Santos is a skinwalker i won't be surprised

Someone find out if Santos sleeps like a coyote, nose to anus.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Its own or somebody else's?

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Relevant Tangent posted:

tbf it's equally possible he murdered that George Santos and assumed his identity
has anyone pressed cold iron against him to see if he's some kind of fae? all i'm saying is if George Santos is a skinwalker i won't be surprised

"will the conservatives caucus a yee naaldlooshii willingly?" roundtable next on cnn

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Someone find out if Santos sleeps like a coyote, nose to anus.

What? It's fun!

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

genuinely surprised there's no "handle this bit of cold iron" part of any swearing in ceremonies in america or the uk, guess the assumption is inhuman entities can't swear on a holy book which seems like the kind of thing you wouldn't want to assume

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
They get to choose their own book. There was one who swore over a Superman comic or something this time, wasn't there?

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015

https://twitter.com/mzanona/status/1612463232383426560?s=46&t=VkIWyMaM__3PdkRwyBpp_w

So the shitshow continues at noon today?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

So what happens if they can't pass the new rules? Does everything just come to a halt, or is there some sort of "If the Speaker cannot pass rules for the house within X time, they are removed from Speaker position and a new vote for Speaker is held"... uh... rule?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I don’t think they can remove the speaker until they have a rule for removing the speaker.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Randalor posted:

So what happens if they can't pass the new rules? Does everything just come to a halt, or is there some sort of "If the Speaker cannot pass rules for the house within X time, they are removed from Speaker position and a new vote for Speaker is held"... uh... rule?

They basically can't do anything without a rules package unless every single member of the House agrees on something. And doing that for literally every single action would take years to pass a single bill.

So, they will find some sort of rules package. It will probably be like the Speaker situation where they just delay it for a while before ultimately landing on the original choice anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

Main Paineframe posted:

Don't forget other winning policies such as no unionizing for our congressional staffers and no nda clauses that let them talk to the ethics committee or office of workplace conditions board.

Truly showing they have only the workers best interests at heart and setting a model of benevolent office culture.

Some of these things look like they would need real laws or constitutional amendments to actually enforce.