Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Kevin is never going to give this up and the HFC is never going to back down so again, I ask my friends on the other side: what in God's name is the endgame gonna be?

Eventually the Dems and the, not moderate, but "extreme but not batshit insane" Republicans will probably compromise on someone. But probably not for a long time, when it actually gets to the point where votes urgently need to happen or the nation burns down. So probably months.

In the short term the House being (more of) a disfunctional mess only benefits the Dems so they can happily just watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

So, 21 votes against, McCarthy agrees to meet all those ridiculous demands, and we still get 21 votes against?

Sounds like the Republican party negotiating tactics we've all come to know and love, just pointed inwards this time.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I think more bad things happen by a non functioning government not doing what it needs to do than by a bad party control of one house of Congress you can at least push back against or have checks on. And like the entire point of a lot of these people is to make the government an incompetent mess so it can't do anything and they can then complain about it.

It's somewhat time-dependent. The value of a Republican controlled house (as opposed to a completely non-functional house) in the next month is significantly negative to the Democrats, because not having that delays the Republicans using it to make house committees to investigate if Biden's dog once went to the bathroom on an American flag or whatever. But the value of a Republican controlled house in the next year is positive for Democrats, because they don't want the country to burn down and the US can't operate with a paralyzed government forever.

So for now, yes, they're going to laugh and eat popcorn. If it goes on long enough, the Democrats will go ahead and vote for a Republican, hopefully getting something in return.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Herstory Begins Now posted:

budget has already been dealt with for what 10 months and dems certainly appear entirely willing to let republicans twist in the breeze for as long as they feel like loving around. dem pov is that every day that this goes on for is a win and I don't think that they're wrong about that?

Worth noting, too, that republicans are 1000% eating the full blame for any disruption caused by this.

I think we hit the debt ceiling around July? And that assumes no major disasters or incidents come up that actually require the government to do something.

But yeah, it isn't urgent for the Dems right now, so they're happy to watch the clown show.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Vegetable posted:

A bunch of reps have been talking about how they're not able to do constituent casework as a result of this impasse. What kinds of casework do members of the House do? I'm familiar with the Commonwealth parliaments where MPs both resolve local concerns and also vote for national policies. I hadn't thought that members of the House did similarly local work.

I don't think it's really a codified thing, but lots of congressmembers act as sort of an appeal of last resort when no one else can help. So if, say, your landlord "forgets" about every tenant's cash payment and won't return their calls, you might try calling your congressman. It's not strictly speaking their job, and they don't necessarily have legal authority to do anything, but they can cut through a lot more red tape than the average citizen and it makes for good PR for them to be seen helping the little guy. Or some of them probably tell you to get lost, but it's a known resort people have when those with power are abusing it.

Edit: Or the IRS making a mistake and withholding your salary might be a better example, I was just trying to make something up at random.

Bremen fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jan 6, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Dr. VooDoo posted:

It’s what the next two years are going to be: insane grievances invented solely to appeal to their most rabid base with nothing of note happening that they’ll try to spin as UNENDING SCANDALS by corrupt Joe Biden during the next presidential election like they tried to do back in the 90s with Clinton’s re-election. It’ll go well with their base, who they don’t have to appeal to, but everyone else will get exhausted by being told they need to be outraged at Joe Biden selling straight white children to alien space Jews or whatever imagined grievance they investigate at the time of the election

Well, there's also the possibility some genuine crisis comes up in the next two years that requires swift action from the government to deal with, which is where things get fun interesting terrifying.