Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

StumblyWumbly posted:

It would be funny, but Jeffries definitely won't become speaker here. I was wondering if there was a more moderate republican who could get a cross party ticket, like a Liz Cheney, but its easy to believe they've all been voted out.
Even if such a person existed, can you imagine how these people and their base would react to a Speaker installed with the help of Democrats? They're prepared to burn everything down in the name of ideological purity in the face of someone that has (apparently) conceded everything to them, and just doesn't feel pure enough to them (or at least he can be construed as impure to their base).

That's not to say that it couldn't happen, or that I don't want it to happen, but christ what an amazing tantrum these people would throw if it came down to that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

So, accepting that failing to raise the debt ceiling is insane political and economic suicide... isn't the new speaker currently very beholden to the most insane and politically nihilistic wing of his party?

Like, isn't it conceivable that any last minute deal McCarthy made could have involved some variation of, "sure, I'll destroy the US and world economy for you, whatever you say, just let me win"?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Torrannor posted:

There's still absolutely nothing the nutters can do to stop and actual majority of the House to vote in a clear debt ceiling increase. That would necessitate finding 6 non-insane Republicans willing to vote against the rest of their party with all the Democrats.
Didn't they just do it? The Speaker controls what gets proposed. If he's made deals with the nutters to not propose any reasonable debt ceiling increase, there's no reasonable bill that the Dems and sane republicans can vote on.

This shitshow has been amazing to watch, and I don't care about all the performative investigations and poo poo they were gonna do anyway, but unless someone can explain something I'm missing it seems like the most consequential outcome of all this is that the crazy wing of the party potentially has much, much more influence on the one thing the house still actually has to do with real consequences. Which seems pretty bad.

I suppose that'll be something that becomes more obvious when the rules package gets decided? McCarthy could just not follow through on his promises or the other Republicans could reject some of the insane stuff with the help of some Democrats, but if Gaetz actually gets what he seems to want, particularly the ability to plunge the house right back into this chaos at his whim, it seems like he might be able to enforce some of the crazy deals he surely got out of McCarthy.