Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

slurm posted:

So can they actually do anything without a speaker? Or can an obstructionist party with a slim majority use something like the Freedom caucus crowd as an excuse to keep the US without a Congress indefinitely, which with a Dem in the White House seems to their advantage

A house without a speaker smashes through the debt ceiling and never does any business necessary for the running of the country.

Getting to the 700th or 900th ballot of voting on the speaker via voice vote would be really funny though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Kevin absolutely made promises to Trump that he would shitcan the previous Congress's investigations into him snd that he wouldn't interfere with Trump's route to 2024; a lot of theorizing about the HFC was that they were Never Kevin because they were Always Trump, so best to pull off a stunt to give friendly media something new to say.

I do not picture we will have a resolution until or just before the Senate begins business, because right now the only big influences the house will listen to will be peers during this peer conflict.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Jeffries had the plurality so I think Kevin is using a different definition of "most" than is legally recognized.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

Voting for the guy who flipped from Kevin to Never Kevin is the most venal thing I've seen, but I wonder if this means he has agreed to more or less than what Kevin has been demanded

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The Glumslinger posted:

So I wonder how many more days of this go on before the rank and file Republicans dump McCarthy and start looking for someone else?

The Sunday political talk shows trashing the House to the american billionaires that watch only those shows as appointment viewing would be the next obvious pain point, especially if they don't convene over the weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

i am a moron posted:

I’m so confused about all the promises. What’s the point? At this point a group of R’s would be better off just defecting and selecting someone with the Dems so they don’t have to go through with this embarrassing poo poo and damage their brand further

For 80% of the representatives that do this, it will never be their brand ever again.