Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

i say swears online posted:

the betting markets think today's adjournment was a good thing for kevin. we'll see what tucker says i guess

i dont know how, this seems like it gives more time to hash out a consensus opposition candidate, but i'm not the geniuses on prediction markets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

can the Architect of the Capitol seal him in like the cask of amontidallo guy

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

quote:

“At least when you had Mick Mulvaney and when you had guys like Jim Jordan, they had something that we’re asking for. Here, everything they’ve asked for has been given to them, pretty much,” Joyce said, taking an undisguised jab at House Freedom Caucus Chair Rep. Scott Perry (R-Pa.). “They just don’t want Kevin and it’s not right.”

what level of dysfunctional is it when the McCarthy camp is being nostalgic for Mick Mulvaney

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bellmaker posted:

Dems should absolutely vote nay just to watch them squirm personally :hmmyes:

per WaPo, the dem leadership is whipping a nay vote on any pre-emptive adjournment today

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

I can't wait to see who it is OP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
really nice of the Freedom Caucus to have so many people early in the alphabet

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bremen posted:

Eventually the Dems and the, not moderate, but "extreme but not batshit insane" Republicans will probably compromise on someone. But probably not for a long time, when it actually gets to the point where votes urgently need to happen or the nation burns down. So probably months.

In the short term the House being (more of) a disfunctional mess only benefits the Dems so they can happily just watch.

yeah McCarthy's real "strategy" is to put the choice between the HFC getting McCarthy and some concessions, or losing everything with a moderate compromise candidate

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Main Paineframe posted:

At some point, the moderates will get sick of this and dump McCarthy in favor of someone else, and the Freedom Caucus will probably put a mark in their win column and fall in line.

There's not really much more he can do. He's basically been begging the Freedom Caucus to give him more demands he can fulfill. They don't really have any, because their true demand is "No Kevin McCarthy".

a few sites mentioned it was more that they had too many demands, some of which were non-starters (like voting to establish term limits for congressmen, and a floor vote for a flat tax) and wouldn't clarify which ones were the core ones they absolutely wanted agreed to

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
https://thehill.com/homenews/3798485-centrist-republican-says-preliminary-talks-with-democrats-underway-on-speaker-deal/

quote:

Rep. Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) has begun talks with Democrats about a deal to support a “consensus candidate” for Speaker or hold out from voting to ensure he needs to reach a lower threshold to lead the chamber, according to Rep. Don Bacon (R-Neb.).

Bacon told CNN on Wednesday morning that McCarthy was in “preliminary talks” with lawmakers to reach a deal, but said he wanted to hold back on the details of the conversations to not get ahead of the negotiations.

Lol...

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

toget posted:

There's one vote missing as well as the present-vote, right? The CSPAN-tally adds up to 434.

There's one vacancy in VA due to a death.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wonder how many reps have nomination speeches prepared. is there someone like 25th in line for this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

jeebus bob posted:

Serious question why don't you use buttons? Just have everyone vote all at once and immediately show the result on a big screen.

Like this

we have those and have had them since like the 1970s. it's just that for some arcane reason the vote for speaker is done this way based on precedent

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
You can actually see the voting board if they have a long enough shot, it's above the main rostrum and looks like this

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the best form of voting is the traditional division votes they use in Germany, where the house has three entry doors labeled "yes" "no" and "abstain", and if they need to challenge a voice vote, everyone leaves the house and re-enters through one of the doors where a guy counts how many people walk through them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kavros posted:

Please do not threaten me with a kinky legislature

isn't that what got Cawthorn booted from the house

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Discendo Vox posted:

This may be the outcome of those talks: Club for Growth is switching to support. It appears to be in exchange for them being able to effectively spend without competition in a bunch of primaries, giving them a lot of control versus the Congressional Leadership Fund. That said, it's unlikely these are the only terms involved, and idk how deep CfG reaches into the nutjob part of the party.
https://www.clubforgrowth.org/clf-club-for-growth-come-to-key-agreement-in-support-of-kevin-mccarthy-for-speaker/

It absolutely owns that after the GOP had a bad election cycle due to them nominating too many insanely bad far right candidates, the result is the far right winning concessions to make it even harder to stop them from getting nominated

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
stop the steal

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
please refer this to whatever voter fraud committee gets made for the CFC thanks in advance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

quote:

Republicans Andy Biggs (Ariz.), Lauren Boebert (Colo.), Matt Gaetz (Fla.) and Bob Good (Va.) — all anti-McCarthy holdouts — voted with Democrats to keep the session going.

Matt Gaetz (R-Fla) welcome to the resistance

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Per Jake Tapper, McCarthy had his guys whip hard for Yeys because someone was going to nominate Scalise, lol

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

mutata posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that y'all don't like this McCarthy feller.

He brings me joy OP

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The voting box only says "yea/ney/present" on it, and I think the roll call thing is done on specific precedent

If you're curious it looks like this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

ZeusCannon posted:

I know its a sign of a broken system (or optimistically an obscure gov tech or accessibility requirement) that its not more modern but I do love those chunky buttons.

they actually just replaced them this year but they look exactly the same, i think the only difference is that they added braille under the buttons, and changed out the internals

i mean it's a voting box, i'm not sure what it needs to be except a box with buttons on it (and a keycard slot to validate who's voting)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Centurium posted:

I do love the chonky buttons, but I feel like it could have a few toggle and rocker switches on it to really class it up. Maybe a key switch with a big "ARM" written in red above it.

the ones texas uses.... now thats the good poo poo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
apparently the European Parliament ones actually let members vote on multiple choice elections which would be useful if we want to break the record on house speaker elections

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Baronash posted:

You could do a 1 minute period for representatives to cast a “yea” vote for each nominated candidate, with special snowflake voters going up and giving their vote to the clerk.

It’s not a technology problem, it’s just that some folks confuse the ceremony with the actual political maneuvering and nobody else cares enough to fight them on it.

you theoretically could, but you would have to get the house to agree on that procedure

this is one of those areas in government where in the absence of constitutional law, practice is based on precedent and tradition, and "votes for Speaker are based on roll-call vote" has been in place for over a century

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
authority and legitimacy of the rules kind of have to come from somewhere and precedent/tradition is a pretty common place for it to come from

it's more common in countries without written constitutions but there are a lot of like, "low-level" government functions which are more conventional practices than actual written laws

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i guess the question is exactly how much McCarthy would have to give up before the moderates decide they've had enough

i definitely have full faith that the moderate wing of the Republican Party will stand up to the far right wing here

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
let's see if Cloud omnislashes McCarthy again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
CSPAN turn Youtube chat on, you cowards

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
if you want to know if McCarthy flipped any of the CFC, the early guys in the roll call are

Biggs
Bishop
Boebert
Brecheen
Cloud
Clyde
Crane
Donalds
Gaetz

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

They agree to adjourn :lol:

i'm still calling voter fraud about that vote last night

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
i wonder if whatever credit union the house staffers and congressmen use has loans specifically for a situation like this

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

i wonder if whatever credit union the house staffers and congressmen use has loans specifically for a situation like this

answer: yes

https://www.congressionalfcu.org/loans/personal-loans/furlough-solutions

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
get on with it

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
time for cloud to limit break Kev again

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
horns.aiff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
someone reboot the counting clerk she broke

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One aspect I don’t see brought up about how the Republicans doing this to themselves is those 20 anti-McCarthy freaks have no threats to their power due to the GOP gerrymandering and voter suppression in their districts so hard. They can do whatever they want, the GOP anointed them god kings of their territories they have no threat of being voted out. That sucks, huh, McCarthy?

there are a lot of bad things you can say about Nancy Pelosi but most of the left-wing of the chamber is in the same situation, it's just that a) the left-wing of the dems isn't the "blow everything up" types, and b) Pelosi had a reputation of being far better at working out deals than McCarthy does