Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

i say swears online posted:

the betting markets think today's adjournment was a good thing for kevin. we'll see what tucker says i guess

It might be, but he has a lot of republicans to win back and its hard to say how much more he can concede in terms of rules before he starts losing the moderate side of his caucus. As things continue and he becomes less inevitable, there will be much less of a penalty for defection to other candidates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Youremother posted:

What exactly happens here if the impossible happens and Jeffries wins it? There's never been a minority party Speaker of the House before, has there?

Once in the 1850s, but it was in the aftermath if the collapse of the Whig party and there were 8 separate parties. They eventually settled on a plurality for the Speaker to get congress running and appointed a Free Soil party candidate as speaker

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Randalor posted:

I'm hoping that at some point, the Dems just start holding pizza parties on the floor. Just a grand public display of unity while the Republicans keep bickering and fingerpointing over who's fault it is they can't govern.

Edit: Hell, just roll a popcorn machine in so Dems can have fresh popcorn while watching this shitstorm.

https://twitter.com/tedlieu/status/1610316616679530497

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Randalor posted:

Yeah, but that would be day-old popcorn now. Plus it's more comical to picture the dems filing in, going to the popcorn machine and then settling in for the vote than just going straight to their spots.

To be fair, there are no House rules at the moment preventing a popcorn machine on the floor

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

The problem is Mccarthy needs a credible compromise candidate to credibly threaten that. And a credible compromise candidate 1)doesn't exist 2) would defeat him if they did

Yeah, he'll get kicked overboard well before a bi-partisan candidate gets any momentum

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Old James posted:

Can we turn this into a drinking game?

Every time someone votes with a sentence instead of just the name, take a drink
Every time a Republican votes against McCarthy, take a drink
Every time the camera cuts to McCarthy, take a drink
Every time McCarthy loses the vote, finish your drink

You'll end up drunker than Boehner playing this game

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

:yeshaha:

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Jaxyon posted:

how many votes are we on

Where is this in the ranks of Speaker votes

https://history.house.gov/People/Office/Speakers-Multiple-Ballots/

9th most all-time

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Scalise, Perry and Gaetz are talking right now. To be a fly on that chair!

A fun thing that was mentioned is that normally the House rules prevent C-Span from doing all of these close-ups on the negotiations in the benches in between votes, but because there isn't a speaker yet, the rules package hasn't been passed yet, so the camera operators can show whatever they want

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
So I wonder how many more days of this go on before the rank and file Republicans dump McCarthy and start looking for someone else?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

koolkal posted:

Do the Dems really need to argue in favor of the debt ceiling increase? It seems like most of the moderate Rs would grumble and be forced to support it anyway because it would cause massive economic issues and they are still beholden to businesses and billionaires.

And it seems like the House would be blamed for it.

Moderate Republicans still want to use the Debt Ceiling as a bludgeon to cut spending on programs that democrats favor