Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
Hypothetically speaking, what kind of power would a minority party Speaker have?

For instance, enough Republicans get so tired of both sides fighting that they start voting “present” and Jeffries becomes Speaker.

nelson fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 5, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

aBagorn posted:

i honestly think that if it got down that low enough of the HFC would vote for Mccarthy simply to deny jeffries

That was my idea after the first few failed votes. A few moderates should be selected to just vote present and force the HFC into line. Of course with the way Republicans are going they’d get the math and/or communication to members wrong and end up accidentally putting Jeffries into the Speaker chair.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Kale posted:

Theres literally no electoral or political benefit to the GOP that MAGA provides anymore and its seemingly finally an effective hamper on their prospects of winning senate majorities or the presidency.

They can still win majorities. It’s just much harder to govern effectively.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Uglycat posted:

I don't think the gop counts as having the house majority until they can elect a leader.

With their latest vote they’re closer than the Democrats.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Uglycat posted:

Do you mean to imply dems held the majority until that vote?

No.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I don’t think they can remove the speaker until they have a rule for removing the speaker.