Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
Hypothetically, if there were a foreign influence seeking to usurp the GOP and use that power to weaken the US federal govt (rather than actually enact conservative policies)...

Isnt the present situation a win?

Hypothetically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Supposing the obstructionist party was infiltrated (over decades) by an obstructionist minority whose motive is not the good of the party, but rather interested in preventing government from helping anyone and just wanna watch it burn and succeed in getting libs (who imagine a government that helps folk) to enjoy the warmth of the fire

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Capital-L "Legitimacy" is a myth - there can be no invention of men that any individual is morally obligated to obey.

Lowercase-l "legitimacy" is grounded in popular acceprance. That popular acceptance of a regime's legitimacy is most directly impacted by how functional that government is - the degree to which it's existance improves the lives of the voting population.

A party emerged willing to obstruct the opposition any time they have control, and blame that opposition for every (deliberately exaspirated) problem. This is just Patriot's footbaw, yeah? Cut-throat, just shy of total war, designed (in conjunction with ongoing, evolving media scrimmages) to empower The Party.

The ideology of the party cemented around "government that governs least governs best", and broader dysfunctions emerge. Ostensibly motivated by loyalty to Party and Country, their moves consistently, lawfully, increase wealth disparity and entrench existing power dynamics.

Foreign entities, interested in ending "The American Century", motivated instead by the desire to see that nations hegemony fail, infiltrates the party and joins the ongoing scrimmage over the Overton Window. That minority takes over party leadership. A collection of incriminating kompromat may have been a factor.

Now we're here, and the House is unable to convene.

Yeah, im lollin' at the GOP fracturing and stalling out, and nothing good will come of this congress convening, but I keep hearing the expression "win, then fight" in the back of my head.

The problem is and has always been bad-faith actors.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
Its because bad faith actors are exploiting the fact that conservatives (obstructionists) have been indistinguishable from accelerationists for maybe a decade or more (it wasn't really the case in the Bush years...).

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
At what point does reality necessarily imply that there is no unified "Republican Party", and therefore such a party does not have a majority of seats in congress?

Who even are the GOP leadership right now?

E - the illusion of party unity creates the implication of a house majority. There is no party unity, therefore there is no majority.

It ought to be decided by plurality.

Uglycat fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 6, 2023

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

nelson posted:

They can still win majorities. It’s just much harder to govern effectively.

I don't think the gop counts as having the house majority until they can elect a leader.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

nelson posted:

With their latest vote they’re closer than the Democrats.

Do you mean to imply dems held the majority until that vote?

No, the dem plurality just fell to the new gop* plurality.

Nobody has a majority.

As shown by the votes on record.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->

PostNouveau posted:

:lmao: Seriously? He did?

Let he who has not been catfished by an agent of a foreign power cast the first stone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
---------------->
So the putin-friendly wing of the GOP jams up the house - whose assent is required for any further spending of us taxpayer dollars on ukraine - and relents, finally, after a russian agent secured the armed services gavel.