Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Also given that McCarthy lied about calling Trump to ask him to resign, it also makes him look even more self-serving to call Trump to beg for endorsement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

cr0y posted:

Sounds like that phone call with Trump went very well

It was a Perfect Phone Call

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

I just think it’s funny as all hell as they vote and of course McCarthy doesn’t make it, so then they run another right after it? Are they just expecting it to be like some sort of broken computer that if you keep rebooting it, it might work?

Why not just try one vote per day to give them time to discuss with others to see about changing their vote the next day?

The longer this goes on the less time Gym Jordan has to waste everyone else's time investigating Hunter Biden's Laptop

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Youth Decay posted:

christ what a shitshow, I thought at least the clerk can enforce this?
https://twitter.com/Bencjacobs/status/1610734107062829072

since there are no rules about cellphones either right now, they can just record it :getin:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Youremother posted:

The keyhole is what sells this one. You know that every member has a key and if they all use them at the same time they arm the Texas Defense System (giant robot cowboy?)

Given the other infrastructure problems in Texas I'm going to imagine Texas Mack would fall apart if activated :v:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Dr. VooDoo posted:

One aspect I don’t see brought up about how the Republicans doing this to themselves is those 20 anti-McCarthy freaks have no threats to their power due to the GOP gerrymandering and voter suppression in their districts so hard. They can do whatever they want, the GOP anointed them god kings of their territories they have no threat of being voted out. That sucks, huh, McCarthy?

Also he could've expelled them after 1/6 but was too much of a spineless coward. Reap what you sow, Kevin.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

It was also be incredibly against precedent to interfere with the Republicans' speaker election, as well as make Democrats part of the problem. I don't think Jefferies will make any noise about cutting a deal until a (credible) Republican makes a public offer.

Credible Republicans include...oh look at that it's loving nobody

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tibalt posted:

I could see an argument for someone like
Emmer or Stefanik, maybe Gary Palmer or Rich Hudson.

Basically somebody who could credibly say they're staying for half the Republican caucus, not some freshman or Boebert.

Not that I can speak about the other three but Elise Stefanik is one of the traitors who tried to overturn the election and should not be trusted. And any deal McCarthy or Scalise would offer is also useless. That's kind of the issue I can't think of a single Republican in congress right now who can be trusted and isn't a complete whackjob at best and an outright traitor at worst.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

lol, what did Swalwell do to piss them off that much?

Short answer? Be effective. Long answer? "Gave information to a chinese spy" except for the part where That isn't true

quote:

In December 2020, Swalwell was named in a press report about suspected Chinese spy Fang Fang or Christine Fang,[61][62][63] who had since at least 2012 been cultivating contacts with California politicians who the Chinese government believed had promising futures in politics.[64][65] Axios reported that Fang participated in fundraising for Swalwell's 2014 congressional election bid, met Swalwell at events, and helped place an intern inside his congressional office. Swalwell ended ties with Fang in 2015 after U.S. intelligence briefed him and top members of Congress on concerns that Chinese agents were attempting to infiltrate Congress. Officials believe Fang did not obtain classified information from her contacts, and Swalwell was not accused of any impropriety.

So basically trying to do to him (falsely) what he (legitimately) did to Devin Nunes when he entered into the congressional record the fact that Nunes was in contact with Lev Parnas (this was during the first Impeachment hearing)

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

Had sex with a woman who turned out to be a Chinese spy.

I didn't know that Eric Swalwell was a midwestern mayor

quote:

Through campaign fundraising, extensive networking, personal charisma, and romantic or sexual relationships with at least two Midwestern mayors, Fang was able to gain proximity to political power, according to current and former U.S. intelligence officials and one former elected official.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 6, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
EDIT: removed since the post was amended. I still maintain that any attempt by the GOP to remove Swalwell from committee assignments is nothing more than their usual petty, childish revenge fantasies rather than for any legitimate reason.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jan 6, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sweet geek swag posted:

The constitutional crisis this sets off would be fun to watch.

Yeah well Gaetz betrayed his oath of office so gently caress him.

Seriously though McCarthy didn't have the spine to expel the HFC when he could and he's certainly not going to try to rules-lawyer a way to keep Gaetz from being sworn in.

Djarum posted:

Via NYT just now

To me this just reads as Republicans not understanding how budgets work. Also a really stupid thing to say when you are planning to "weaponize the federal government" to investigate Hunter Biden's dick.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jan 7, 2023

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

tecnocrat posted:

Looked like Rogers was calling Gaetz an rear end in a top hat and trying to get in his face.

I am very much enjoying Republicans having to reap what they sowed in allowing stupid assholes like Gaetz to get into office, and even keep that office. It won't last forever, but it's funny as hell right now.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

:perfect:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Just imagine the actual legislating that will be done in the House if it takes this long to pick a leader.

This implies that Republicans are actually interested in legislating.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Madkal posted:

Gaetz finally getting ready to head a commission about the size of Hunter's penis and why the Jan 6th instruction was actually totally cool and legal n

"Thankfully" contempt of congress is just a slap on the wrist so it'll be funny when none of his subpoenas are honored.

Or Gym Jordan's, I guess, since he'll be Judiciary.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

That's a worst case possibility, but they just passed a budget in December with like $40b for Ukraine, plus I think the President has some leeway to fund Ukraine under his own power like lend-lease or whatever.

Most of the US has been pretty solidly pro-Ukraine, and Gaetz has zero charisma, I think he's more likely to drive independent voters away by being loudly anti-Ukraine.

It doesn't matter for Gaetz personally as he's in one of the safest red districts in the country.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

koolkal posted:

There is a close to 0% chance Santos gets removed.

Yeah there's no way they're going to get rid of him for being a fraud. First off just about everyone in the Republican party is a fraud of some kind (Rubio lying about his parents, for example). Secondly if McCarthy didn't have the balls to remove the House Treason Caucus after 1/6, when he could've easily been rid of them and this stupid vote nonsense he's not going to remove Santos.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

delfin posted:

Given the usual levels of projection at play, by the end of the week someone will accuse Pelosi of having smuggled Santos into the country thinking that he'd be one more reliable non-white vote in her quest to kickstart the Great Replacement.

I predict Elise Stefanik.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Djarum posted:

Well he is under investigation by both state and Feds which it looks like his campaign is full of crimes. He is no doubt going to be indicted and convicted quickly. In the new rules they just pushed they are changing the rules to basically automatically remove someone when they are convicted of crime, although I don’t see them getting passed.

That would admittedly be funny if it got passed and immediately blew up in Republican faces.

Especially since the "crimes" they want to investigate Democrats from will be summarily laughed out of the DOJ office.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Great idea to open up a bunch of investigations and setting aside money for bullshit after wanting to *checks notes* make it harder to get tax revenues or indeed raise taxes at all.

Gonna guess the "disputed election fund" would just be more money laundering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Still amused that some Republicans now want to cut defense spending because of "wokeness", which of course makes other Republicans against the rules package.

EDIT: :laffo:

quote:

Rep. Tom Cole, the chairman of the House Rules Committee, told CNN: “I’m willing to cut spending and we need to do that. I’m not willing to cut defense and that is half the discretionary budget.”

I mean, I know this poo poo is obvious and that it doesn't really matter but it's loving hilarious that Republicans constantly drop the mask on spending cuts the moment cuts to defense come up as a remote possibility.

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Jan 9, 2023