Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Herstory Begins Now posted:

getting nearly the entire republican house to agree on something is almost certainly far harder than getting 50 dem senators to agree on something.
Is it though?
They are pretty good at agreeing to own the libs. If there was an actual chance for a democratic leader here, I doubt that the house dems would all go in lockstep either. It's way easier to show unity as a symbolic sign of opposition than if you are actually in charge.

But yeah, those demands of the freedom caucus are insane. According to them, a singular person has the power to make a vote of mistrust at any given time. So essentially, under this requirement, every time a vote doesn't go their way, one of them will try that. Also, this is not even specific to republicans. According to that suggestion, random democrats could stall the proceedings of everything until the end of the legislative period.
If Kevin caves to that ridiculous demand and it is somehow enough to sway them (fat chance), I imagine dozens of people demand bribes for every day they don't call for a reelection of the speaker.

I also really like the guy who was all "We wont surrender unconditionally. So please tell us everything you want, so we may surrender and hand it to you."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

smackfu posted:

Don’t understand how they “made concessions” to the Not Kevin crew but didn’t pull away any votes. Someone’s not good at negotiating.

Can you really call this a negotiation?
One side keeps adding ridiculous demands with no actual intention to ever change their mind and one side is desperately caves in to everything.
At this point they could demand Trumps face to replace everyone on mount Rushmore and Kevin would happily promise it to them. Afterwards they demand ice cream and an extra slice of pie.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

cr0y posted:

This one's gonna do it. I can feel it guys.

I think the democrats are ground down now. Everyone of them will switch to Donalds now.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
So, what stops a random dem Congressperson to say "Okay Kevin, you're elected now. Let's have a do over?"

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
Haha. How Gaetz has to vote for Kevin.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
While I believe KMc will do it next time, dying with half a vote missing is just perfect. And just because Gaetz is a coward, who would not openly agree.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Did the missing Mccarthy guy come back in time to vote? I assume so given all the fistfights and teeth-gnashing

Yes, with that guy it was exactly tied.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

I AM GRANDO posted:

Why did McCarthy want this again?

He was already occupying the office and moving is such a hassle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011

Cabbit posted:

Source

If Matt Gaetz ran out of poo poo to ask for I have to think it's very plausible there's a chairmanship with his name on it, just above someone else's scribbled out name.

Man, can you even imagine what a full vote would cost then?
Kevin is the worst negotiator.