Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Narcissus1916 posted:

One of the funniest dynamics is that elected officials split their time with "in session" weeks in DC and then "District work week" while folks are theoretically back in their home districts.

If there's just neverending votes I'm not actually sure what even happens. Can they adjourn for a full week to give them time to be in district (or suckle at the teats of millionaires at fundraisers).?

It'd be funny if they aren't able to adjourn long enough for people to leave because they haven't been able to adopt rules so if a bunch of GOP left the Dems could just call a session on their own and elect Jeffries.

I don't know how the process actually works though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Did the right-wing nutters get their "no confidence vote" enforcement mechanism along with their demand that the debt ceiling be held hostage?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

TLM3101 posted:

All signs point to yes.

Fun. Looking forward to testing if economic armageddon actually comes to pass if the US defaults.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

According to CNN:

- Some people flipped because they were tired of voting and wanted to go home for the weekend (lmao).

The rest flipped because of a new set of promises that includes (but is not limited to and includes some other unannounced promises):

- Giving specific people gavels.
- Funding an anti-January 6th Committee Committee with several million dollars.
- Promising to freeze all spending in every budget up through 2024.
- HFC gets to pick members of the rules committee.
- Rule to force a vote to depose the Speaker with the request of a single congressperson.
- The House Majority PAC will coordinate with private Super PACs from Club For Growth and not spend money supporting different candidates in primaries for safe seats.
- Vote for a constitutional amendment on term limits.
- Vote on a bill to fund the border wall and require more aggressive internal enforcement of immigration law/deportations (i.e. not at the border).
- Promise to not vote to raise the debt limit without spending cuts.
- Promise to lay out a balanced budget with specific cuts to SS, Medicare, and Medicaid and hold a vote on it.
- Promise to vote to remove Omar and Swalwell from committees and reinstate MTG.

Basically, a bunch of embarrassing votes that are doomed to fail, permission to gamble with destroying the economy, McCarthy has to embarrass himself, and McCarthy will always be 1-2 votes away from being deposed at all times.

lol, what did Swalwell do to piss them off that much?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Had sex with a woman who turned out to be a Chinese spy.

:lmao: Seriously? He did?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Google Jeb Bush posted:

I'd ask why Omar and none of the other progs but i think in my heart I know the answer

Yeah, unfortunately I do not need that one explained at all.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
loving all the mayors in Ohio in an attempt to get in early on the next Buttigieg.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

tecnocrat posted:

Maybe that's why Rogers was ready to go after Gaetz? He knew he was gonna get hosed over.

Maybe he should vote no against McCarthy if he's mad about it

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

They basically can't do anything without a rules package unless every single member of the House agrees on something. And doing that for literally every single action would take years to pass a single bill.

So, they will find some sort of rules package. It will probably be like the Speaker situation where they just delay it for a while before ultimately landing on the original choice anyway.

Is there another speaker election next year or does it hold until new House elections? Can McCarthy now go, "Well, sorry guys your crazy rules package didn't pass. We'll have to go with the old rules." and not have to worry about blowback until a totally new House is elected?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Every new House. So, every 2 years.

Although, they can apparently force a vote whenever they want if they agree to the rule changes McCarthy promised.

Main Paineframe posted:

The sitting Speaker can be removed at any time by passing a motion to vacate, which is essentially a no-confidence vote. However, House rules sometimes restrict when and how a motion to vacate can be brought to the floor. So how easy it is to remove McCarthy depends entirely on the contents of the rules package that gets passed.

One of the concessions the Freedom Caucus demanded from McCarthy, of course, was a rule that would make it extremely easy to bring a motion to vacate to the floor, allowing just a single member to call a no-confidence vote at any time.

Thanks.

It kinda sounds like letting the crazy rules package fail and then telling the Freedom Caucus to go pound sand could be a viable move for this session but then McCarthy would have to either beat them all in primaries or the Dems would have to win in 2024 for him to not face any consequences from that.