Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

What exactly happens here if the impossible happens and Jeffries wins it? There's never been a minority party Speaker of the House before, has there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

DancingMachine posted:

The Constitution is shockingly brief and ambiguous on who can be speaker. I would interpret this passage to imply that it must be a member of the House, but it seems to be commonly accepted that anyone (any citizen?) can be speaker, and many non-members have received votes in the past.

What I am getting from this is that Speaker Trump is a lock, and I should dump all in on Predictit?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Imagine "when he's right, he's right"-ing about somebody comparing you to the Taliban lol

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Piell posted:

Now doing vote 5

Just like me and this thread

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And I thought election night was a hilarious shitshow of republicans tearing themselves apart. They've lost complete control of their electoral base and their own party! Everybody says the republicans are the ones who always fall into lockstep when it comes to voting and look at where it's gotten them!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Ringo Star Get posted:

I just think it’s funny as all hell as they vote and of course McCarthy doesn’t make it, so then they run another right after it? Are they just expecting it to be like some sort of broken computer that if you keep rebooting it, it might work?

Why not just try one vote per day to give them time to discuss with others to see about changing their vote the next day?

https://twitter.com/deepleffen/status/1441442404159139840?lang=en

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Holy poo poo the response to that popcorn jab

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Whoaaa a 201-212-20-1 vote who could have seen THAT coming?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Any democratic congressman reading this, and I know you are, PLEASE do not let them adjourn. Please squeeze every drop of blood and tears out of McCarthy you can. Please.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And we're adjourned. Thanks a lot Goon Congressman <:mad:>

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

the only one who could be a goon is Frost but that would entail someone from Gen Z on this website.

It's Fetterman and he has a 2002 regdate

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If we get past ten votes they need to start handing out actual whips

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

If the Dungeon of Representatives is what it takes to get a functioning government I'll take it as long as I never have to watch C-SPAN again

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

So is this one going to be an actual vote or just another thing where one side can conveniently be ignored even though they were audibly louder?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

We need Trump's tweets now more than ever

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the ones texas uses.... now thats the good poo poo

The keyhole is what sells this one. You know that every member has a key and if they all use them at the same time they arm the Texas Defense System (giant robot cowboy?)

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

We all knew Speaker Trump was inevitable. Look into your heart.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

smoobles posted:

It's still funny after 7 times ahahaha

The guy going "Hakeeeeem Jeffries!" again is less so.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

To be clear it would take only two republicans to lock this up indefinitely, right? If this boils down to, say, Gaetz and Boebert voting TRUMP! over and over no matter what they're promised, the game is up?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

From everything I've seen it's no house. They literally can't do anything without a Speaker. Every single thing presupposes there is a Speaker. They aren't even getting paid for this because they can't pass the bill that confirms their own paychecks

e:

ninjahedgehog posted:

No the magic number here is 5

Chuck Bartowski posted:

The magic number in this case is five. So as long as Gaetz and Boebert have three other friends willing to vote against McCarthy, then yes this could go on for a while.

My counting skills leave much to be desired :doh: But my point still stands: the Donalds faction needs a comically small amount of congresspeople to gently caress this congress indefinitely! They can afford to lose SO many representatives on this!

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Actually it is super loving hilarious that thanks to Gaetz Trump is now a popular vote loser for Presidency AND for Congress. We just need Trump to fail at being appointed a Supreme Court justice

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I swear to God if they adjourn again...

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

This is incredible how much longer until we get outright tears on the floor

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

"Hi daddy! HELLOOOOO!" :allears:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

I want a Chaos Confetti congress where a representative has to be ripped up to shreds for session to begin.

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Who the hell was giving Boebert the business there?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Bringing a baby to these things is just straight up cruel for everybody involved, especially the baby

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Randalor posted:

I... uh... I think that's McCarthy.

Wait, did someone ACTUALLY bring a baby to this? gently caress it, vote for the baby.

There are definitely multiple children in the chambers

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Clapping for the representatives voting for themselves is literally reddit "and everybody clapped" poo poo

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

TRUMMMMMP

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

BDawg posted:

You know what they say, if at first you don’t succeed…

Try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try, try again?

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Gaetz nominating Trump just so he can be a double-loser in one day is lol beyond lol, there are few words for these levels of lol :chaostrump:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Hakeem Jeffries of YOSPOS

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

God the laughter when she said Trump got one

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

ADJOURNMENT SHOT DOWN LET'S GO

e; Oh no they're actually voting

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

And they're adjourned booo :smith:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

Skippy McPants posted:

Being one of the earlier modern democracies, we didn't have as many examples to look to when it came to closing stupid little cracks in our foundation, so a pretty astounding amount of our government relies on "civic tradition" to function.

And the rock-hard fetish both sides of the government have for that foundation ensures that no significant change will ever happen! :v:

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

McCarthy actively LOSING votes as time goes on ahahahaha this is it everybody, the American government ends here, not with a bang but a motion to adjourn. It was a fun experiment

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youremother
Dec 26, 2011

MORT

The year is 3028. Supplicants walk into the hallowed hall and take their places. In turn, each member shouts "Jeffries!" or "McCarthy!" A selected few are permitted to shout "Trimp!" When the ritual is complete, after many long hours, they adjourn. No understanding of why this ritual is performed remains.