Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

DancingMachine posted:

Who voted in favor of adjourning?

It was a voice vote, meaning adjournment was popular among the whole House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Minority leaders of parliament aren't all that unusual in other English-speaking democracies.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

VikingofRock posted:

Why was McCarthy the presumptive speaker in the first place? How is that usually chosen?

House Republicans had a vote about that, and he won about 88% of that vote. But nothing actually forces the anti-McCarthy Reps to honor that vote.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Main Paineframe posted:

Literally nothing else can be done until they have a Speaker. And since the GOP controls the House, there's not really any point in denying themselves the ability to use it. Even the Freedom Caucus wants the House operating so they can start up House investigations of everything the Dems have done in the last two years.

That's ultimately what this is all about : positioning themselves to have maximum influence in the House so they can do whatever dumb bullshit they want.

I'm not American and only just skimmed the part of the constitution dealing with the House, but it doesn't seem like the requirement to have a Speaker comes from the constitution. The requirement seems to be part of the House's own rules, which can be changed by the majority. Is that a correct reading?

Because if so, a majority then could indeed decide that they can hold a vote about the debt ceiling for example without having a Speaker.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

SubG posted:

No, it does. Article One, Section 2, Clause 5. The exact scope of the position isn't defined, but its existence is.

Sorry, I meant "the requirement to have a Speaker before any other business can be concluded" doesn't seem to be part of the constituion.

This

quote:

The House of Representatives shall chuse their Speaker and other Officers; and shall have the sole Power of Impeachment.

to me doesn't necessarily mean "and the House cannot vote on anything else unless it has elected a Speaker". Although I guess people could interpret the "shall chose" as implying the House needs to follow this command of the constitution before doing anything else.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

cr0y posted:

What does that even achieve

McCarthy apparently still doesn't have the votes to become Speaker. His chancers are definitely not helped by holding more votes where he fails to get elected, and gives even more opportunities for unhappy Republicans who have backed him so far to defect. The House must reconvene per yesterday's vote, but if they immediately adjourn again, he has more time to try to get the HFC to relent. It's far preferable to losing the Speakership election over and over.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Oooooh, one Republican (not one of the 20 anti-McCarthy ones) has voted "present"!

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

StumblyWumbly posted:

A few folks have been saying that since the Senate doesn't need a Speaker until the 23rd, neither does the House.

I'm pretty sure the Speaker needs to at least sign off on a bunch of administrative stuff like who gets what office and committee assignments. There are rules and procedures for this, but there are also judgement calls and deals. This is all much harder in the house, with more members and more freshmen.

None of the House staff get paid until there's a Speaker, which is also something to consider.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Some Democrats are having a lot of fun. At least I assume it's Democrats, I can't imagine Republicans have reasons to laugh this loudly on the House floor.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Another Representative just missed the first roll call. Last vote the Republican who voted present also missed the first roll call to dramatically say "present" at the very end in the second roll call.

Edit: And another missed call.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
And another missed call.

And another one.

Fifth vote for Donalds, McCarthy loses again. I really appreciate that you only need to get to the letter "C" to know whether McCarthy becomes Speaker or not.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
If I'm seeing this right, a lot of people (like 20?) missed first roll, and McCarthy will at most have 191 votes after the roll call. Who know how many he will get afterwards, or how many members vote present.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Okay, disregard everything else, the outcome of this vote is identical to the last one. 212 Jeffries, 201 McCarthy, 20 Donalds, 1 present.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

The Lord of Hats posted:

How the gently caress do they imagine that working? Is there a provision that it has to be from within the caucus, or could a dem just keep tying them in knots for no reason?

It's one member of the majority party, not one member of the House.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

BDawg posted:

There's 5!

7!

So he will lose again, and then they will adjourn. Other than the one former McCarthy voter changing her vote to "present", nothing much has happened today.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

ninjahedgehog posted:

This system would not require Kevin to stew in his fury for hours while 435 votes are read aloud one at a time. Therefore I oppose it

It's especially nice that we know within like 10 minutes of voting whether Kevin finally gets enough votes or not, and then he has to sit there and endure the rest of the vote counting, knowing he lost. It's great.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Quorum posted:

Ah, I forgot about the Constitution's escape clause:

So, unless the Senate agrees they can go home, the House can only adjourn for up to three days at a time, though they could just meet once every three days to announce they don't have a quorum and leave again.

But the Senate is already adjourned to the 23rd or so, so there's nothing stopping the House to adjourn to that date, either. Except that there probably aren't enough votes to adjourn that long.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

Interestingly, CSPAN's chyron was already saying McCarthy had lost when it was only 5 defections

That's because 5 defections are enough right now, because 2 McCarthy supporters are out of town (for a medical appointment and a burial, respectively).

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

James Garfield posted:

freedom caucus unveiling its plan to give democrats the senate in 2024

Yeah, that seems like it has the potential to backfire spectacularly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
There's still absolutely nothing the nutters can do to stop and actual majority of the House to vote in a clear debt ceiling increase. That would necessitate finding 6 non-insane Republicans willing to vote against the rest of their party with all the Democrats.