Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

tecnocrat posted:

No one has the votes. That's the idea. It's all about who caves first and says "Fine, I'll go with your guy, but I want -BLANK-."

Honestly, at this point it's an open question what those concessions could even look like. Kevin already swore all kinds of blood oaths and mortgaged most of the power of the Speakership just to get this far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I mean, a motion to adjourn is always in order, so if this one failed on a technicality someone could just call a new one. It would be funny to make them do it, but the staff want to sleep too.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

smoobles posted:

Sorry if this got answered elsewhere but what happens if this stalemate never ends? No House?

Basically, yes. The cloud of elects can hang around but until they choose a Speaker none of them are actually Representatives.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Very excited to depart from our previous Civil War precedent and instead serve in the glorious army of Lord Protector Biden and his Long Senate.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

how many is this

The eleventh.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Jaxyon posted:

ooh tied for 6th place with the 26th congress

With the 11th vote already doomed for Kevin, there will necessarily be a 12th vote-- maybe even tonight! At that point, this speaker election will be tied for fifth in number of ballot rounds (with the 17th Congress in 1821). The next milestone after that is 22 rounds (the 16th Congress, 1819).

A lot of the really bad ones are right around the end of a major party system; the two I just mentioned were harbingers of the death of the First Party System ~1824. So that's definitely a good sign

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Randalor posted:

How long can they feasibly adjourn for? Is there a hard limit, or could they technically adjourn until, say, "January 2026"?

They could adjourn sine die (without setting a date to reconvene), at which point they would reassemble only if called by the Speaker (who currently doesn't exist), or by the President, or failing all else when a new Congress meets two years from now.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ah, I forgot about the Constitution's escape clause:

Article II, Section 5 posted:

Neither House, during the Session of Congress, shall, without the Consent of the other, adjourn for more than three days, nor to any other Place than that in which the two Houses shall be sitting.

So, unless the Senate agrees they can go home, the House can only adjourn for up to three days at a time, though they could just meet once every three days to announce they don't have a quorum and leave again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

This will now be officially the fifth longest speaker election by number of ballots. (If McCarthy had won this round it would have tied for fifth.)