Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Fifteen of Many posted:

Apparently Trump was asked if he still supported McCarthy after the votes today and wouldn’t say. :fork:
I seriously wouldn't read that much into it. Trump is a messy bitch who loves drama, so he'll absolutely stir the pot with "Maybe I will, maybe I won't, who knows, you just have to pay tuned..." but actually picking another candidate to support 1.) means that the attention isn't on him and his decision anymore and 2.) requires him to take responsibility for the outcome. He doesn't care enough to actually pick Scalise or Jordan as his new candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

In terms of whose 'losing' this, I expect it'll be something like a government shutdown - the public will dislike whoever they blame for causing the shutdown, and they'll be surprisingly capable of figuring whose actually holding things up.

Currently, the HFC are the ones refusing to go along with McCarthy and won't commit to actual terms to elect him, but also won't outright just admit that they don't like the look of Kevin's face. But they're also incredibly insulated from public opinion, so I could absolutely see them holding out until the 23rd before it breaks through that the American Public is blaming them for this circus.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

It was also be incredibly against precedent to interfere with the Republicans' speaker election, as well as make Democrats part of the problem. I don't think Jefferies will make any noise about cutting a deal until a (credible) Republican makes a public offer.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Credible Republicans include...oh look at that it's loving nobody
Well in this case I meant McCarthy, Scalise, I could see an argument for someone like
Emmer or Stefanik, maybe Gary Palmer or Rich Hudson.

Basically somebody who could credibly say they're staying for half the Republican caucus, not some freshman or Boebert.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Angry_Ed posted:

Not that I can speak about the other three but Elise Stefanik is one of the traitors who tried to overturn the election and should not be trusted. And any deal McCarthy or Scalise would offer is also useless. That's kind of the issue I can't think of a single Republican in congress right now who can be trusted and isn't a complete whackjob at best and an outright traitor at worst.
I have no idea what your posts have to do with my post that Jefferies isn't going to offer a deal until a Republican offers it first.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

Old Surly posted:

Is it 5 or 6 non KMC votes that kills his chance?
5 would put him at 217 votes, however with whatziname out there's only 434 representatives present, so KMC would only need 217 votes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

If I was McCarthy, this is where I'd bring out the stick - anyone who doesn't vote for me when I win doesn't get any committee seats.

Edit: honestly I'm kind of wondering if McCarthy had even thought about making threats.