Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Whoever told you not to kink shame had a shameful kink.

nine-gear crow posted:

Kevin McCarthy is a stupid rear end in a top hat with no shame or self-reflective capabilities and I hope he continues to be a stupid rear end in a top hat for a long time to come and you guys just have no Speaker of the House for the 118th Congress.

This would actually be a great outcome for the D's. The way things look right now there's seriously no solution in sight for the foreseeable future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Anyway my prediction is this doesn't resolve any time soon. Everyone is saying that eventually there will be a compromise candidate but if that person existed they would be getting mentioned by name. There's no compromise candidate and the suicide caucus is going to drive the house off a cliff.

My guess is eventually some people defect and join the democratic party and then we have speaker Jeffries. Sometime in March, maybe April.

If we get a Democrat speaker in a republican majority congress I am going to loving bust a gut laughing. My work space is frilled to the brim with Republicans and they would be absolutely seething over this.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

I kind of new to house politics: What was funny about the "hern" thing.

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

I was asleep. Did republicans take it on the 14th vote?
I saw 217 - 212 and 6 present. I thought it had to be 218?

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

So, dems basically have a majority with 6 disgruntled congress members who didn't vote for Kevin Mcarthy?
In all seriousness, though, what does this mean for the future? Surely having 6 people unhappy with the current speaker and such a slim majority could be seen as a positive for dems right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cumdog Millionaire
Jul 21, 2022

Gyges posted:

The rules fight is currently set to potentially be an even bigger shitshow than the Speaker race. So long as Kevin was promising crazy poo poo, there was a good chance the rest of the party would save him from the crazier rules. However if he's giving away people's chairmanships, the rule where 1 member can call for his ouster is going to be set in stone. Which then snowballs from there as everyone scrambles to get their specific bribe codified into the rules instead of just being a pinky promise with Kevin.

Does this also include democrats? E.G: A democrat being able to call for his ousting?
Or is it exclusive to republicans? Can't figure that would be very fair if it was an option reserved souly for republicans.