Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Whoever the candidate would be, would receive daily motions from the nutjob caucus to nominate a new speaker.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Jaxyon posted:

ooh tied for 6th place with the 26th congress

I'm almost positive they can hit top five

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Vegetable posted:

A bunch of reps have been talking about how they're not able to do constituent casework as a result of this impasse. What kinds of casework do members of the House do? I'm familiar with the Commonwealth parliaments where MPs both resolve local concerns and also vote for national policies. I hadn't thought that members of the House did similarly local work.

"Calling your congressperson" is something you can do to get help if other government avenues are closed off. They may get requests from veterans to help with VA stuff, for example.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, every government agency I've ever worked with has a "Congressional Correspondence" track that A) immediately kicks all all complaints up to the executive level for review and B) requires duplicate copies of all related internal records to be kept and forwarded to the congressional liaison's office as soon as possible. It won't always get you the response you want, but it will at least force an immediate response.

I've been on the receiving end of these and they get lots of attention from management. You can hear the spines straighten up.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

It'd be funny if they aren't able to adjourn long enough for people to leave because they haven't been able to adopt rules so if a bunch of GOP left the Dems could just call a session on their own and elect Jeffries.

I don't know how the process actually works though.

From what i understand, I think you've got it. If enough GOP leave, the dems can call a vote, name a speaker, seat the speaker, set the rules of the session and the GOP can eat poo poo about it. They could say "only a majority of the leadership of the speaker's caucus can call for a vote on confidence in the speaker."

The longer it goes on, the more likely that option becomes. The dems just wait for the GOP to gently caress up, and they seem very willing to do so (they've been doing it all week!)

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
I always thought 24 years for both was a nice fit. Four senate terms, twelve congressional terms.

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Whenever they decide to settle on a speaker, isn't the rules package the next fight? McCarthy made all these concessions to the nutjob caucus, the moderates will balk, right? I know most are true believers, but at least some know "a vote for us to kill social security us a bad idea."

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

He needs to have a cane for it to be tradition.

Edit:

coelomate posted:

GAVEL.

MCCARTHY LOSES.

:sickos:

Meatball fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jan 7, 2023

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

Also the national jinxing of being unable to consider anything that raises spending after a massive disaster. Sorry Texas, we'd love to help you with that meteor falling into the eye of the hurricane over Crenshaw's house. Unfortunately that would cost money and we aren't allowed to spend any more.

They would put exceptions in. It's probably going to just be "dem states don't get any help". If New York and New Jersey get another hurricane sandy, there's no help coming from the federal government.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug
Didn't Clinton's approval go up after his impeachment? I could see that happening here, especially if it's the transparent bullshit it's likely to be.