Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I wonder what McCarthy will do to burn this all down?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

seriously though, when is the FBI coming down on this guy?

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

This can't go on past July or we risk a default, and I'm not sure even Republicans would let it go past another week or so. This is insanely embarrassing for them.

I mean, the mainstream Republican party is hoping to force a default and think Biden will cave into their demands to (regressive insanity goes here).

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
CNN says they didn't know how many people on the floor.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

Kevin is never going to give this up and the HFC is never going to back down so again, I ask my friends on the other side: what in God's name is the endgame gonna be?

So, KMC has said the caucuses demands are vague and inarticulable so the next choice is to peel off Dems somehow and what are you going to give them that won't blow up everything?

edit: or KMC calls megadonors to tell the HFC to knock if off, or start going real dirty and reveal secrets that have been held back about the 20 members that are blocking him.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Youth Decay posted:

So did McCarthy actually try to do anything to help himself between yesterday and today or were the cuckoo caucus the only ones with any sort of strategy to increase their vote numbers?

Supposedly he asked for the demands of the HFC and they couldn't come up with anything solid.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

Honest question: if there is no Speaker of the House by the State of the Union address, who sits by the Vice President?

Fun fact, the House has to invite the President to the state of the Union.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

ninjahedgehog posted:

Technically there's nothing mandating the address has to be in the House Chambers, so Biden could just have everyone over to a barbecue on the Ellipse and deliver it there.

Also nothing saying it has to be annually though, nor a speech at all. You could do a email blast every couple years and that would still fulfill the consitutional requirement

True also reading Article II

quote:

He shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such Measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient; he may, on extraordinary Occasions, convene both Houses, or either of them, and in Case of Disagreement between them, with Respect to the Time of Adjournment, he may adjourn them to such Time as he shall think proper; he shall receive Ambassadors and other public Ministers; he shall take Care that the Laws be faithfully executed, and shall Commission all the Officers of the United States.

i wonder if Biden could force them to convene if the House is not in order. Which he should just to do a SotU.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

cr0y posted:

You can't burn boats they live in water

- matt gatez probably

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Push El Burrito posted:

Ok hear me out, Dr. Frankenstein, what it we just let your monster choke you a little more before he agrees to let you go?

Dr. Frankstein seems to be WAAAY to into this.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Civilized Fishbot posted:

I think the problem is that Boebert understands she won't get re-elected so she's going to use the next 2 years to build up her reputation as a MAGA freedom warrior

Wingnut Welfare system for me not for thee.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Edward Mass posted:

That's a relief - I thought she was voting for Kevin Hearn, keyboardist for Barenaked Ladies.

I see you and want you to know i appreciate this post.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Robviously posted:

Honestly the HFC probably prefers Jeffries because they can at least argue that they "need to fix things." They ran on changing the culture in Washington and now they are the culture in Washington. They know that they need to keep the frenzy going to survive but that doesn't square the circle when it comes to a functioning government. They are a cudgel and know they need someone to keep swinging at. Or they actually believe the poo poo they're advocating in which case just lol.

I can't emphasize enough that the HFC is basically the most fascist part of the Republican party and in no way will ever side with the Democratic Party on anything to give them any power whatsoever.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

No one wants to be dragged in front of congress on national TV to explain why their department has hosed over widows and veterans in violation of federal law.

Also no one wants a call form their boss about why there was a gently caress up.

I've done constituent casework before and most of the time its just needing to wait a little longer. Sometimes, you can get tings expedited and sometimes you needed to get the rules and pass along any advice on how to work the system a bit better. Sometimes its about unsticking the bureaucratic process or getting an agency of their rear end. also, in the modern era there is little you can do to move anyone up lists or get favorable outcomes. Mostly, you are getting answers.

I will say Veteran's casework feels like there is more victories because you can get people medals and back settlements. Immigration is tough because there isn't much wiggle room in decision making and the wait times are mostly inflexible.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Seth Pecksniff posted:

4) it stops the dumb investigations into Hunter's Hog and other stupid stuff that the Republicans so desperately want for some reason

So yeah, I think they'd take it if it came down to that

They are hoping the media covers whatever fuzzy corruption/Benjamin G. Hazi line they draw. Or find another vague email to get into Biden's personal emails.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Gatez is such a loving attention whore and coward.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

coelomate posted:

It may mean Gaetz has to vote McCarthy to get him the win, not just be "present"

Well that or Boebart gets the keys of the castle while Gatez get put in a box somewhere.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I bet Gatez was dumb enough to think that voting present was all he needed to do.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
Honestly, McCarthy should offer Gatez as a sacrifice and no chairmanships at this point.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Kalli posted:

I mean if one of them just shanks Gaetz, then they have enough votes right?

despite the cameras being on and 434 members, no one saw the murder actually happen.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Caros posted:

"First, we're coming for Nestor. Do you understand me?"

Next, you wont be able to go to the local high school.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Froghammer posted:

There's no way they vote to stay, right? Even Team Chaos wants to go home.

Matt Gatez needs to get home before his dates curfew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
I guess McCarthy thinks he has the vote.