Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU

Archonex posted:

Not entirely certain it will be, but maybe, yeah. The big thing is whether or not Rogers and other similar folks get walked over and can't retaliate, whether Mccarthy can keep the establishment in line to keep his career advancing in spite of it loving over the establishment in favor of an increasingly dangerous and predatory (and in the case of LGBT minorities outright genocidal) wing of his party that are completely bonkers, and how lunatic the right wingers are going to be (this is almost certainly a "very loving crazy" fwiw).

This is what I'm trying to figure out: HOW is he keeping the rest in line? What's the benefit to supporting McCarthy for the "true" Republicans?

I'd say it's "party over politics" but McCarthy has made it really loving clear that it's not about what's best for the party (which would have been stepping aside over the holidays and allowing a compromise speaker get approved on the first ballot), it's about what's best for him.

I'd say it's McCarthy controlling chairships and such, but he's made it VERY clear that you get ahead in the McCarthy regime by opposing him.

Are they looking ahead to the next term, or to the term after that, hoping that Republicans get a big enough majority that the true party members get their just reward? Seems hopeful given that a decent (and possibly growing) number of Republicans support "No governance is better than some governance".

Do they fear McCarthy's campaign chest would be used against them?

Is there anyone that's figured this out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pendragon
Jun 18, 2003

HE'S WATCHING YOU
Thanks for the perspectives. This has been puzzling me.

Archonex posted:

Edit: In addition to that the establishment GOP is scared shitless of Fox News and other right wing fake news outlets similar to them, since they're a key part of them maintaining their dominance over the narratives that keep their base in line in voting. So there's an element of fear of bucking the status quo of lies and exploitation on that end too by pushing back against the crazy for fear of being the next person to be made an example of by losing your seat come the next election.

While this far no doubt exists among Republicans, it doesn’t seem to be affecting support for McCarthy. If all Republicans truly feared Fox News, they wouldn’t have nominated McCarthy to begin with since he’s the epitome of the swamp (despite kissing Trump’s ring, great example of how a mob isn’t reasonable as you point out). Maybe a combination of McCarthy’s “NO IT’S MY TURN MAKE ME THE SPEAKER” and trying to appease the mob?