Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Push El Burrito posted:

What time does Kevin's broadcasted humiliation fetish start?

Noon Eastern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

smackfu posted:

I assume the Reps don’t get their salary either.

Just read that they do but no one else does.

Feels Villeneuve posted:

america is over, and we need to start a new country

Be better to just start a new government. If we had something that wasn't a two party system where you were forced to have to compromise to form a government and get anything done would be a huge improvement. Never going to happen since the wealthy/powerful want gridlock and disfunction.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
I think at this point it is pretty obvious that McCarthy isn’t going to become speaker. The problem is that no one in the GOP House has a plan on what to do now. Their leadership all basically are McCarthy cronies and there isn’t much outside of that. Frankly giving their terrorist wing everything they can think of is an incredibly dangerous game even if they do somehow get them to vote McCarthy in.

Really the best option would be making a deal with the Democrats, get some sort of power sharing agreement and try to salvage what you got left. They barely have a majority in the first place. Their grandiose plans were never going to happen in the first place.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
A deal would have to get worked out by moderates outside of leadership. A moderate speaker, power sharing agreement and some guardrails to keep the extremist elements on "both sides" really just in the GOP in check I think would be enough for me and I'd take the deal. You can sweep in as the adults in the room and be able to run in 2 years on it especially if they can get some real things accomplished.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
The House GOP is going to sink their entire party for 2024. There is no way that this clown show isn’t going to become an embarrassment on the entire party for the next two years that the general public isn’t going to be able to ignore.

I say we start taking bets now on how many government shutdowns we are going to have.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Term limits are fine if you have them long enough. 4 terms in the Senate and 10 in the House is enough that you aren’t losing institutional knowledge or good public servants but short enough that you are getting rid of people before they are absolute ghouls that have long outlived their usefulness. Most don’t reach those points anyway before they are voted out or move on.

Personally I’d probably prefer the time closer to 15 years for both and make the House on a 3 year term but I know that would likely be a non-starter. But if you can’t get what you want accomplished in 15-20 years in a branch of government then that is on you frankly.

One plus would be a lot of people who are on their last term will likely not give a gently caress and break with their party more.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin
Via NYT just now

quote:

Chip Roy, a key negotiator of the deal between the defectors and McCarthy, says right-wing lawmakers extracted a promise from McCarthy to launch a “Church-style” select panel to investigate how the Biden administration has “weaponized” the federal government that receives “the kind of budget and the kind of staffing” that the select committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol received.

Matt Gaetz of Florida, seen as one of McCarthy’s chief antagonists who delivered a blistering and personal diatribe against the Republican leader on the House floor this morning, just sounded a very different tone on Sean Hannity's Fox News program, calling McCarthy the “speaker-designate.” “We may be able to get this resolved tonight,” Gaetz said.

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

Archonex posted:

Have they even got these rules set in stone yet because lol at that going through in a party as power hungry as the Republicans.

The debt ceiling stuff is legit terrifying though given how crazy the Republicans are nowadays. We know what happens when a country defaults on it's debt due to historical examples and it's loving ugly. Like, depending on how bad things go it's "you're better off emigrating than waiting for the country and your life in it to recover" levels of ugly.

Just as a recent example that I can recall: Mexico did it and it put them into a massive slump that they're still feeling the effects of. For America to do that it'd be even worse. We're looking at the collapse of the global economy in the short term, the extremely likely possibility that the US dollar is no longer considered a primary standard of currency and trade (which means losing all the privileges that the US takes for granted that come with it), and generally just utter chaos and at the absolute worst possibly great depression levels of goods being unaffordable leading to potential starvation depending on how bad the whole situation is handled and what sort of rebound happens.

It'd be like Brexit but on steroids, only with all the stops that would keep the economy from going into the shitter on a historic level yanked out by financial interests fleeing overseas with their monetary assets.

Which means that feckless monsters like Gaetz are of course going to try and rip the country to shreds because of their insane and bigoted views.

Well I think there are enough non-crazies in the GOP that realize the ramifications of the actions there. I think everyone knows that any nonsense on the debt ceiling is DOA in the Senate. Enough will blink and pass a clean bill at the final hour, that is if they still have a majority by that point frankly. They have a razor thin majority at the moment, with Santos almost certainly gone within months, so that number will be down to 4 likely. There is a non-zero chance that they lose 4 more members due to death, corruption or scandal in the next 24 months. They don't have the leeway to give everything to the crazies to alienate the rank and file or even worse make those in competitive districts look wildly out of touch and extreme. That being said I am almost certain they are going to pull some poo poo with government shutdowns/budgets because that doesn't effect the world economy as much and they always think they score points doing it.

At the end of the day they are going to have to work with Democrats to get just about anything accomplished which in turn means their insane plans are never going to get off the ground outside of investigations and whatnot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Djarum
Apr 1, 2004

by vyelkin

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

He's going to be indicted and convicted by the republican long island DA investigating him, McCarthy will incompetently attempt to lean on him as a fellow republican that just makes everything worse,
he will still be in congress while in prison and when questioned on this by reporters McCarthy will promise to "talk to him"

Well he is under investigation by both state and Feds which it looks like his campaign is full of crimes. He is no doubt going to be indicted and convicted quickly. In the new rules they just pushed they are changing the rules to basically automatically remove someone when they are convicted of crime, although I don’t see them getting passed.

Really though once the investigators start dropping what he did Santos is going to be radioactive. There is a level of protection and circling the wagons both parties do for members but I am pretty sure they are going to send that guy out to the sharks. There is zero upside to defending him at all and absolutely less than zero chance he will win re-election in that district. Thomas Suozzi is going to cruise to take that seat again in 2024 and the GOP has likely lost any chance at winning again there for quite awhile due to Santos.