Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you've been poking around the internet and hate money/love pentesting stuff/appreciate aquatic mammal themed UI then you've likely come across the Flipper Zero. In a nutshell someone took some hacked together pile of antennas, daughter boards, and other nonsense for crazy people and made it into a neat little package for slightly less crazy people with money.

The gizmo lets you dink around with wireless stuff and can do all manner of things as basic as acting as a very bad universal remote to making itself an access key for your apartment building. The default firmware is functional but pretty limited due to what I am sure were many very tersely worded letters with impressive legal headers on them. The community has far fewer scruples so if you want to get more functionality out of the device that stuff sure is out there.

I don't frankly understand half the stuff the thing can do but I am a moron with disposable income so here we are. If you mess with these things, know something, or have questions, :justpost:. I'll hopefully make this OP not terrible in time.

Also, I'm not a cop but for gently caress's sake don't post about doing illegal stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I do a bunch of RFID stuff with ProxMark and Arduino RFID shields until now, but my favorite thing about the Flipper Zero is the fact that I can mildly annoy Tesla owners by opening the charging port on their cars while they're parked. The most straightforward things you can do are to clone 125kHz access cards to a T5577 emulator, record and emulate passive NFC tags, and capture and write MiFare Classic cards or chips to an NFC chip with the Chinese Magic Backdoor.

Be careful with it, a few months ago I cloned an access card for a building I was allowed to be in but scanned the wrong one and sent security on a wild goose chase. I didn't have the Flipper on me at the time and I didn't have any RFID cards or fobs on me, but I easily could have ended up in a very uncomfortable situation. I second the "don't post about doing illegal stuff" bit. Don't give in to peer pressure from the grumpy dolphin, just teach it how to open your garage door and turn on your TV.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

The rule of thumb is generally “don’t gently caress with things that aren’t yours”. Super easy to not get in trouble that way.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I tried to clone (my work’s and separate from the building’s system) RFID access card but it doesn’t register at the reader at all.

I need to research what usually goes on to see why it fails but haven’t had time.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Are you using the stock firmware? That sounds like a rolling code.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Hed posted:

I tried to clone (my work’s and separate from the building’s system) RFID access card but it doesn’t register at the reader at all.

I need to research what usually goes on to see why it fails but haven’t had time.
It's probably a Mifare Classic 1k. You can't clone it for use as an access card unless you have a Mifare Classic 1k ev1 with the magic backdoor that allows you to overwrite the UID sector.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I just bought a flipper, what kind of illegal stuff should I not be doing with it

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Selling it on eBay for one.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
It's illegal to flip your flipper? Why?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

It's probably a Mifare Classic 1k. You can't clone it for use as an access card unless you have a Mifare Classic 1k ev1 with the magic backdoor that allows you to overwrite the UID sector.

Warbird posted:

Are you using the stock firmware? That sounds like a rolling code.

It's just a normal HID, so maybe it is Mifare classic. How can I tell? I can get into the system. I could probably tell if it was stock firmware by just scanning it twice and seeing if it was recognized as two cards, right?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I mean stock Flipper firmware. The OOTB stuff is deliberately limited for reasons and will straight up not work with a decent amount of stuff. Grabbing and using DarkFlipper or any of the alternatives (here thar be sene drama) and taking a swing at things may yield better results.

Brain Issues posted:

It's illegal to flip your flipper? Why?

eBay, Amazon, and a few others have banned the devices because the youths are on the tiktoks doing dumb stuff and they don't want to deal with liability. This said you can totally still buy and sell far more capable devices that do the same thing there so it's all just posturing. Facebook marketplace is the only major one I know of that still allows listing right now. I'm selling mine to an acquaintance as I just don't have time to use it. At cost of course, I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

To be fair, "limited for reasons" means the hardware is capable of operating in violation of US federal law and FCC rules and the stock firmware prevents that. They're still banned in Brazil because the telecom company responsible for certification doesn't like what they can do, aren't they?

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

E- nm

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What's the simplest way to test if the NFC transmission is working? Find a website to register Flipper as a U2F token?

I am trying to muck around with Amiibos and can't get them to pick up on the Switch. But come to think of it, I've never had anything emulated actually trigger a response, from HID ID cards, etc. Things scan just fine but replay never causes anything to happen. I'm sure I'm holding it wrong or something but just want to double check.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

That’s odd as Amiibos are a pretty common use case for the device. To the point of someone compiling them all into a program you can store on the FZ iirc. Sadly I don’t know of a way to test off the top of my head. Has it ever regretted anything for NFC?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It scans my access cards and stuff immediately, I’ve never seen it do anything NFC while emulating. Just the cute dolphin power animation and flash LED. It wont excite a badge reader and then just reject me, the badge reader won’t do anything at all in response.

I will try to reinstall the NFC app or whatever and see if it helps.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
It works. I goofed around but used the App this time versus just launching the .nfc in the file system. Im sure I was just using it wrong before.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Glad to hear it’s playing nice for you. FZ really needs some coverage/guides that aren’t script kiddy focused for this sort of thing. A lot of stuff just assumes you already know how it works aren’t particularly useful.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

GWBBQ posted:

It is a Mifare Classic 1k. I just read my badge today and the Flipper now classifies it as such. I got 16/16 sectors and 32/32 keys. It's definitely doing more now compared to previous captures I can see, the firmware seems much improved in the NFC area.

When I emulate it at least scans, but no dice on the reader. I don't understand the UID sector bit, I can see the 4 bytes in the capture so what am I missing?

edit: Now I see you may have misunderstood my original post (and what you were replying to) that says I was going to "clone" my access card. I really just mean I'm trying to emulate a copy of it, not write it out to a new card. I want to see if my Flipper can be my access card. But currently it doesn't work--reader dings but no access.

Hed fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 18, 2023

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Warbird posted:

That’s odd as Amiibos are a pretty common use case for the device. To the point of someone compiling them all into a program you can store on the FZ iirc. Sadly I don’t know of a way to test off the top of my head. Has it ever regretted anything for NFC?

Hed posted:

It is a Mifare Classic 1k. I just read my badge today and the Flipper now classifies it as such. I got 16/16 sectors and 32/32 keys. It's definitely doing more now compared to previous captures I can see, the firmware seems much improved in the NFC area.

When I emulate it at least scans, but no dice on the reader. I don't understand the UID sector bit, I can see the 4 bytes in the capture so what am I missing?

edit: Now I see you may have misunderstood my original post (and what you were replying to) that says I was going to "clone" my access card. I really just mean I'm trying to emulate a copy of it, not write it out to a new card. I want to see if my Flipper can be my access card. But currently it doesn't work--reader dings but no access.
Gotcha. You have brute force the encryption keys presented by the readers or wander around the building/campus sniffing readers to be sure you can hit every pair of challenges/responses possible along with the UID.

It's a really simple implementation of a rolling code, but like the old saying goes, locks are a great way to keep honest people out of your stuff.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
A lot of hotels have started doing this thing where the remote only controls a set top box for everything including volume, and the actual TV is locked to one input at max loudness

As someone who travels a lot and likes to put in a Roku in place of the hotel box, the flipper has been great.

I’ve also been cracking my room keys and writing them to a fob on my car keys.

I bought an NFC ring to take “never forgetting my room key” one step farther, but every magic ring I’ve found is gen2, which the Flipper can’t write yet :-/

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

eddiewalker posted:

A lot of hotels have started doing this thing where the remote only controls a set top box for everything including volume, and the actual TV is locked to one input at max loudness

As someone who travels a lot and likes to put in a Roku in place of the hotel box, the flipper has been great.

I’ve also been cracking my room keys and writing them to a fob on my car keys.

I bought an NFC ring to take “never forgetting my room key” one step farther, but every magic ring I’ve found is gen2, which the Flipper can’t write yet :-/

Just pay a sketchy doctor to implant one into your hands and call yourself a bio hacker

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/9/11/9307991/biohacking-grinders-rfid-implant

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just pay a sketchy doctor to implant one into your hands and call yourself a bio hacker

https://www.vox.com/platform/amp/2015/9/11/9307991/biohacking-grinders-rfid-implant

Oh I considered it. All the 13mhz implants on DangerousThings are gen2, same as their ring and the cheapie I bought on Aliexpress.

The Flipper can only write gen1 or gen4 magic cards. Apparently gen2 support isn’t impossible, but there’s a feature freeze until the devs finish the “refactoring” project that’s been ongoing since like April.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Any luck with the unlocked firmwares for that?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
Nope. I’ve been hanging in the flipper discord and gen2 magic card support is a frequent request.

I guess I’ll keep wearing this as my wedding band and maybe someday I’ll be able to open doors with the chip inside. The Flipper can read it, and rewrite the same data but it can’t forge the UID yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

If I ever get back around to traveling for work (and having a flipper again) I’ll have to do that for my right hand. Seems fun.

Vaporware
May 22, 2004

Still not here yet.
I think these are really cool but I have no real use case other than being able to understand nfc stuff and follow tutorials about understanding various wireless protocols.
Radio is dark magic

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
there’s a big neighborhood nearby with an HOA that charges residents $100 for an extra 125khz pool keyfob. Could I get in trouble for sitting in the parking lot selling t5577 fobs for $20?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://www.whid.ninja/blog/denial-of-pleasure-attacking-unusual-ble-targets-with-a-flipper-zero

Brings new meaning to the term “penetration testing”

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

eddiewalker posted:

there’s a big neighborhood nearby with an HOA that charges residents $100 for an extra 125khz pool keyfob. Could I get in trouble for sitting in the parking lot selling t5577 fobs for $20?

Yes if you're a member of the hoa but also really the person whose card you cloned is going to be the one in trouble. Now, you could offer to backup a residents fob onto their own fob in case they lose it...

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
The case for this is building.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I got one of these super cheap fob copiers but haven’t had to use it yet. Maybe I should test it

Handheld Copy 125KHz EM4305 T5577 RFID Smart Duplicator Copier Writer Programmer Reader 5Pcs Rewritable Cards
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0t9Bh6

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Snowy posted:

I got one of these super cheap fob copiers but haven’t had to use it yet. Maybe I should test it

Handheld Copy 125KHz EM4305 T5577 RFID Smart Duplicator Copier Writer Programmer Reader 5Pcs Rewritable Cards
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0t9Bh6

That probably works great for older, low security stuff.

Gym badges, pool passes, stuff like that is usually 125khz

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Warbird posted:

I mean stock Flipper firmware. The OOTB stuff is deliberately limited for reasons and will straight up not work with a decent amount of stuff. Grabbing and using DarkFlipper or any of the alternatives (here thar be sene drama) and taking a swing at things may yield better results.

eBay, Amazon, and a few others have banned the devices because the youths are on the tiktoks doing dumb stuff and they don't want to deal with liability. This said you can totally still buy and sell far more capable devices that do the same thing there so it's all just posturing. Facebook marketplace is the only major one I know of that still allows listing right now. I'm selling mine to an acquaintance as I just don't have time to use it. At cost of course, I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

Hahaha... what other "far more capable devices" are out there to buy? My friend wants to use them to open his garage door and needs a new remote for his TV. He would NEVER do anything illegal, so please don't also link to websites that teach those things.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don’t have any names on hand but there are plenty of interceptors and spoofers and so on and so forth out and about. Most readily available via eBay and so on.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

https://arstechnica.com/security/2024/02/canada-vows-to-ban-flipper-zero-device-in-crackdown-on-car-theft/

This is pathetic even by Canadian standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Another example of lawmakers having zero idea how technology works. Still doesn't beat "does TikTok use wi-fi?" though.