Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Chinatown posted:

i look down on people who buy pre-ground beans fr

wait? Pre-ground beans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
are jelly beans allowed ITT

e: lol I thought this was the other beans thread

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I love a well made coffee, I can't tell you Ethiopian from Columbian beans, but I acknowledge there is a proper way to get good output from your input

But lol

Yeah let's all individually spend $200 to perform skilled labour every 2-4 weeks or so to produce a good that keeps for 2-4 weeks that you use up in 2-4 weeks

Having a centralised hub where a skilled worker adds labour that I compensate them for is just plainly better, JFC lol this thread

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i've heard of roasting beans, but roasting the OP?!?

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

Pinche Rudo posted:

I make my own Kopi Luwak by feeding local stray cats coffee cherries covered in cat food and harvesting the beans

i'm thinkin about those beans...

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Don't see much of a point in DIY roasting, seems like too much work, but doing your own grinding is worth it since it tastes fresher than pre-ground beans and only takes a few seconds.

mmmm
Jul 26, 2010

hey
you're one of them fancy lads, ain't ya?

super sweet best pal posted:

Don't see much of a point in DIY roasting, seems like too much work, but doing your own grinding is worth it since it tastes fresher than pre-ground beans and only takes a few seconds.
:hmmyes: much better ROI on that one

yeah the answer to OP's question is basically "it's inefficient" -- centralized coffee roasting just makes more sense, unless you assign a very low value to your time / labor.

maybe that's why it's so easy to dunk on OP, cause they're basically declaring as much.

If it's just like "roasting coffee is a fun niche hobby of mine, not too time consuming, makes coffee taste great and saves a few bucks" then we're all good

but if you're like "why doesn't *everybody* roast the beans" ... because memento mori

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if you don't roast your own beans you might as well just eat powdered nespresso right out of the tube

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Mozi posted:

if you don't roast your own beans you might as well just eat powdered nespresso right out of the tube

you got a problem with me doing this bud? i'll fight you.

slurm
Jul 28, 2022

by Hand Knit

Pinche Rudo posted:

I make my own Kopi Luwak by feeding local stray cats coffee cherries covered in cat food and harvesting the beans

Ugh why do you even bother with the cats you can just eat them yourself and harvest them from the harvesting bowl you ALREADY HAVE in your bathroom

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

Why even have a home to roast beans in? Be homeless, suck dicks in a Starbucks parking lot, and buy cups of coffee with the proceeds.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

slurm posted:

Ugh why do you even bother with the cats you can just eat them yourself and harvest them from the harvesting bowl you ALREADY HAVE in your bathroom

Cats are closer genetically to civets, dingus. Plus I don’t want to eat a bunch of coffee cherries I just have the feral cat colony do it.

The Hello Machine
Jul 19, 2021

I'm not a real machine, but I am a real Hello-sayer.
I dont have a chemistry degree op

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013
Why whyy whyy god why?

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
i used to grind my own beans but it took too long because at 6am i just want my loving coffee and went back to pre-ground or grinding them at the store

no way in hell im roasting my own poo poo

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Sounds like a massive gently caress about OP

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Philthy posted:

i used to grind my own beans but it took too long because at 6am i just want my loving coffee and went back to pre-ground or grinding them at the store

no way in hell im roasting my own poo poo

im already doing an Effort by making coffee as i steep and press mine for 1-3 cups, so grinding the bean is not much extra and it does make a discernable difference imo. plus i use the grinder for other things some times. roasting my own is an absolute no-go howevre

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

i own 12 palm civets that poo poo out the coffee beans grown in my greenhouse. why would anyone actually buy coffee

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

if you're not roasting each individual bean one at a time with tweezers and a tiny butane torch, you might as well be drinking ebola diarrhea

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

I don’t know why people buy roasted coffee beans when they could just poo poo into a cup of water and make turd tea

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

Anne Whateley posted:

What is wrong with you, buying bread when flour is so much cheaper

I actually do this one at least. Homemade bread is cheaper. And it's better than most bread you can find in the store (in the US).

They get you by selling mixers for $200. So...I just mix by hand.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I buy unleaded gas and add my own lead, for a smoother, nuttier ride.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
Doing at home is just going to result in unevenly and just generally badly roasted coffee. Especially if you do it a pan. Commercial roasters use giant drums to keep the coffee moving at all times and carefully control the temperate throughout the roast to get the right results. Roasting at home might be fun if you're a hobbyist but the results are never going to be as good as what you get in the store without a huge investment of money, time, and space. It needs to age for several days after roasting anyway, so "freshness" isn't really a plus.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I buy unleaded gas and add my own lead, for a smoother, nuttier ride.

similar but i know guys who buy regular gas an add octane booster to prevent knock in their vintage cars that were designed for leaded gas

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
I roast my own nuts in the fireplace

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Coffee beans aren't even beans, they're seeds! They are the pit of a fruit!!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

I roast my own nuts in the fireplace

Nuts busting over an open rear end in a top hat

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
As a person who sells coffee for a living, I can barely get people to buy a loving $50 grinder (the single greatest and easiest improvement to better coffee at home).

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Torquemada posted:

As a person who sells coffee for a living, I can barely get people to buy a loving $50 grinder (the single greatest and easiest improvement to better coffee at home).

You could try smiling a little more, maybe showing some cleavage?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
tippin a cuppa english bfast tea rn

quite nice

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Torquemada posted:

50 dollar grinder and 20/lb artisanal beans so you can taste 25 cents worth of milk/cream and sweetener is a bad deal for your average American.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Torquemada posted:

Do you have a recommended electric grinder? I have a skerton but I'm lazy.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

AFewBricksShy posted:

Do you have a recommended electric grinder? I have a skerton but I'm lazy.

Wilfa is about the best entry level grinder you can get, their basic model is the Svart (I think). Should be around $150 brand new. They have a decent build quality, and grind coffee well enough for any normal person to have it as their only grinder. They pop up on ebay pretty often.

If you want to really not spend money, take a look at Jimmy here talking about really budget options: https://youtu.be/AVYGxext8XI

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Torquemada posted:

Wilfa is about the best entry level grinder you can get, their basic model is the Svart (I think). Should be around $150 brand new. They have a decent build quality, and grind coffee well enough for any normal person to have it as their only grinder. They pop up on ebay pretty often.

If you want to really not spend money, take a look at Jimmy here talking about really budget options: https://youtu.be/AVYGxext8XI

I grind my coffee with a rock in the dirt where the earthworms poo poo and die then eat the poo poo of the dead worms

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

i’m not going to be responsible for putting hardworking bean roasters out of business op, the economy relies on specialization of labor

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

pencilhands posted:

A novice coffee roaster is $200 and that’s if you don’t go the popper route. Green beans are half the cost of roasted so you recoup the cost within about a year. The beans will never be fresher and you have complete control over the blend, roast, etc. How do coffee companies justify the markup on such a measly value-add on unroasted beans? And why do people keep buying pre-roasted? Is it just a self-perpetuating meme at this point?

durrrr

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Ok smart guy, where the gently caress can I get those crystals that Folgers has in their coffee?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I have forty dollars in unused star bucks gift cards.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Pass em here I need a trenta of black offee

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Nary enough to cop a large bro