Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buce
Dec 23, 2005

Doctor Butts posted:

Ok smart guy, where the gently caress can I get those crystals that Folgers has in their coffee?

crystal mine on crystal mining planet OBVIOUSLYT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I have forty dollars in unused star bucks gift cards.

Venmo me

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Nary enough to cop a large bro

Oh sure, you mean cop a grande sir coming right up

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

The secret to make Folgers crystals at home is to strain hot water through a tube sock full of cat turds. They have to come from the litter box though or the crystals won’t form

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

what ARE those lovable crystals, anyway?

Fuckstick
Nov 30, 2000

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

what ARE those lovable crystals, anyway?

Cat litter probably

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

That’s a interesting question, op. I don’t really have any answers for you though, so sorry good luck

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

are there good decaf beans? I just make decaf espresso and buy pre ground decaf

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Thesaurus posted:

are there good decaf beans? I just make decaf espresso and buy pre ground decaf

Can be gotten, sure. Try to find superfluid CO2 processed if you can; there's an improvement over water processed in terms of body and flavour.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Mozi posted:

if you don't roast your own beans you might as well just eat powdered nespresso right out of the tube

*Looks up in sudden panic, freezes, eyes wide, spoon still in mouth*

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 19 days!)

i spend £2 on 'colombian' instant coffee from aldi and put milk and a sweetener in it and although it tastes a bit different from expensive coffee with 50 steps to preparation, it is neither better or worse. it tastes kind of bitter and weird, like all coffee. the difference is 95% fiction. coffee snobs are worse than wine snobs because the wine snobs at least have the excuse of wanting a cover for boozing up.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
do tea snobs buy fresh tea leaves and cure them at home

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

roomtone posted:

i spend £2 on 'colombian' instant coffee from aldi and put milk and a sweetener in it and although it tastes a bit different from expensive coffee with 50 steps to preparation, it is neither better or worse. it tastes kind of bitter and weird, like all coffee. the difference is 95% fiction. coffee snobs are worse than wine snobs because the wine snobs at least have the excuse of wanting a cover for boozing up.

Instant coffee tastes very different than any espresso based coffee and you'd need to be a clown with no taste if you can't tell the difference.

Also OP's beans probably taste like poo poo compared to professionally roasted coffee.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Buy fresh tea leaves? What kind of worthless gutter trash doesn't own a plantation in Sri-Lanka and grow their own?

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

roomtone posted:

Lmao

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

i acknowledge that it tastes a bit different. i'm saying it's not better, and still in the same general taste area. some people prefer the ground coffee taste, but you can get bags of that for the same price as instant. spending hundreds on coffee brewing stuff or getting precious about bean quality is the same thing as swirling your wine to 'open' it or thinking there's quality difference between a £10 and £50 bottle of wine. blind studies have shown people can't tell the difference. you're better off getting reasonably priced stuff and dropping the pretense. there's a whole industry which requires people to believe that there's something substantial going on when there isn't.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Because gently caress it.

I used to get fancy with a french press and fresh ground coffee, but then I just stopped caring.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

roomtone posted:

lol of course the alcoholic blowhard gbs guy has this opinion

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

roomtone posted:

i acknowledge that it tastes a bit different. i'm saying it's not better, and still in the same general taste area. some people prefer the ground coffee taste, but you can get bags of that for the same price as instant. spending hundreds on coffee brewing stuff or getting precious about bean quality is the same thing as swirling your wine to 'open' it or thinking there's quality difference between a £10 and £50 bottle of wine. blind studies have shown people can't tell the difference. you're better off getting reasonably priced stuff and dropping the pretense. there's a whole industry which requires people to believe that there's something substantial going on when there isn't.

The difference between a light and dark coffee roast is extremely obvious - it's not one of those subtle "$20 vs $200 red wine" differences. Roasting is a fairly brutal process - it's like how you can taste the difference between the same cookies baked to "beige and a bit doughy on the inside" and "dark brown and crispy".

The problem is that finding actual light roasts to test is a bit hard. Dark roasts all taste fairly similar, sort of "bitter and bread crust", and that means you can get away with an assortment of cheap beans and still get a consistent taste. And that doesn't make it bad - it's a taste many people are used to and enjoy. However, it means that almost all instants are very dark roasts, because they're easier and cheaper to make.

The easiest way to just test a cup is probably to find a hipster coffee shop and buy a cup of overpriced filter coffee. If nothing else, it should be noticeably bad in a different way - more sour and less bitter is fairly typical. I've heard people who don't enjoy the style describe it as "like a tea made from coffee beans". :)

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
It's diminishing returns for sure , but the jump in quality from instant to fresh ground is lightyears difference

Wee
Dec 16, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The best coffee is from an AeroPress. I'll drink that on weekends.

I drink instant at work, though. We have some great coffee shops in the area, but I'm not paying for it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Peggy Edson posted:

lol of course the alcoholic blowhard gbs guy has this opinion

pfft

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Piss Creep posted:

The best coffee is from an AeroPress. I'll drink that on weekends.

I drink instant at work, though. We have some great coffee shops in the area, but I'm not paying for it.

This too. I grind nice light roasted beans and make a V60 if I'm home, but on a work day I'll happily have a bland filter coffee from a metro kiosk and follow up with the "we now get the second cheapest beans money can buy" machine at work. Having something warm but not sugary to drink is nice, having an interesting complex taste is definitely secondary. Caffeine doesn't really do that much for me. :shrug:

(Reminds me, I have a box of mint tea satchels I should put in my backpack.)

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I'm Finnish so I put preground coffee into the normal coffee maker to make normal coffee every single day.

There will be a very small amount of milk. Some oat milks are just as good, even though they taste different. Black is acceptable.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

Torquemada posted:

Can be gotten, sure. Try to find superfluid CO2 processed if you can; there's an improvement over water processed in terms of body and flavour.

Thanks. Now how can I do the superfluid CO2 processing at home?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Computer viking posted:

The difference between a light and dark coffee roast is extremely obvious - it's not one of those subtle "$20 vs $200 red wine" differences. Roasting is a fairly brutal process - it's like how you can taste the difference between the same cookies baked to "beige and a bit doughy on the inside" and "dark brown and crispy".

The problem is that finding actual light roasts to test is a bit hard. Dark roasts all taste fairly similar, sort of "bitter and bread crust", and that means you can get away with an assortment of cheap beans and still get a consistent taste. And that doesn't make it bad - it's a taste many people are used to and enjoy. However, it means that almost all instants are very dark roasts, because they're easier and cheaper to make.

The easiest way to just test a cup is probably to find a hipster coffee shop and buy a cup of overpriced filter coffee. If nothing else, it should be noticeably bad in a different way - more sour and less bitter is fairly typical. I've heard people who don't enjoy the style describe it as "like a tea made from coffee beans". :)

light roasts taste like rear end and I'm extremely glad that fancy hipster coffee trends seem to be swinging towards medium roasts

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
my previous rich boss/ceo that was only in the office 1 day a week dictated that our free coffee had to be the darkest burnt dog poo poo imaginable. also that one day a week he checked every single chair in the office at 8am and emailed the supervisor of every person not there yet LOL!

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

the holy poopacy posted:

light roasts taste like rear end and I'm extremely glad that fancy hipster coffee trends seem to be swinging towards medium roasts

I don’t know much about coffee but I vaguely recall reading that despite dark roasts having the perception of manly coffee for manly men their flavors are typically more plain/easier to drink for someone who doesn’t like coffee very much because you basically just taste the roast and not the bean.

I tend to drink cheap coffee but dark roasts so that matches my experience.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Thesaurus posted:

Thanks. Now how can I do the superfluid CO2 processing at home?

Do you have room for a pressure vessel that operates at- 22F and 1000 psi?

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Torquemada posted:

Do you have room for a pressure vessel that operates at- 22F and 1000 psi?

Yeah, I know at least my toilet can handle this after I drink coffee

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

computer. beans. coffee. roast. dark.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

AARD VARKMAN posted:

my previous rich boss/ceo that was only in the office 1 day a week dictated that our free coffee had to be the darkest burnt dog poo poo imaginable. also that one day a week he checked every single chair in the office at 8am and emailed the supervisor of every person not there yet LOL!

How often was his coffee pissed in

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022

by Pragmatica
Imagine thinking there's no difference between 10 and 50 dollar wine lol

I actually feel bad for you

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Costco Meatballs posted:

Imagine thinking there's no difference between 10 and 50 dollar wine lol

I actually feel bad for you

Sometimes there is but sometimes there isn’t.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

My impression of wine is that there's some kind of inverse proportional relationship going on - every time you double the price, the quality increase is smaller and more subtle, sort of like you're getting incrementally close to the ideal red wine.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
People have different tastes and all enjoy different flavours. There is no ideal wine. 99.99% of the appeal of luxury hyper expensive food (or any product for that matter) is you can afford (or appear to afford it) it while others can't.

girl befriender
Sep 22, 2014

by vyelkin
dark roast taste like charcoal smells. enjoy your coal miners disease dark roast lovers i'll be here enjoying a warm, caramelly medium brew.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt the wine and booze industry change its flavor profile over the decades to better compliment the pill habit of rich white people?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Computer viking posted:

My impression of wine is that there's some kind of inverse proportional relationship going on - every time you double the price, the quality increase is smaller and more subtle, sort of like you're getting incrementally close to the ideal red wine.

there is a lot of poo poo going on with wine prices that has nothing at all to do with quality. like i have seen french wines for sale in american grocery stores for like $25 (and in restaurants for $40) that you can get in french grocery stores for like... 5 euros. the exact same wine. meanwhile spanish and portuguese wines don't undergo that same level of markup, and are thus considered to be lower quality in the us simply based on the fact that they are cheaper. a lot of this changes over time too, like argentina used to be considered a place that made "cheap/bad wine" until malbec from mendoza became trendy and then, a few years later, much more expensive, and now every wine shop has a high end argentinian wine section.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

OP is so dumb his coffee grinder broke so he inserted the beans like a suppository