Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Welcome to the Business, Finance and Careers forum!

Your current mods: pmchem, Baddog

Investors should be cautious about any and all posts and should consider the source of any advice. Various factors, including personal or corporate ownership, may influence or factor into an expert's analysis or opinion.
All posters are advised to conduct their own independent research before making any decisions. In addition, posters are advised that past performance is no guarantee of future appreciation.

Rules, no drastic changes from the way things have always run here:
  • Don't Be an rear end in a top hat (catch-all category: slurs, demeaning posts, unfunny shitposts, pure jerks, unfunny trolling, mod just hates your post, etc.)
  • No Pyramid Schemes
  • No Referral Schemes
  • No Ponzi Schemes (this includes new crypto threads devoid of new use cases)
  • No MLM's
  • No "Matrix's"
  • No "Get Rich Quick" Bullshit
  • E/N rules apply to E/N posts
  • No doomsday economics / single-minded political posting. Other subforums exist for that.

:justpost:

Please post about anything else involving money or meta-commenting on money, and please feel free to make new threads! You can also reply in this thread to request reboots or edits of megathreads, ask questions, suggest changes, complain, etc.

Passionately arguing about stuff is okay and gonna happen, but keep rule #1 in mind.

:justpost:

If there is any issue with moderation, or mods aren't replying to a situation fast enough, you can always email forumadmins@somethingawful.com . This is a good route to take for users without pms as well. Although you can always use the report button to get mod eyes on something.

We plan to have a rotating (biweekly?) pinned, brand new thread to spur short-term discussion of various topics as a way to stir up chat. Ideas for rotating pin topics are also welcome here. Please visit BFC at large instead of simply bookmarking threads!

Here, have a look.

Baddog fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Apr 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Currently Helpful Threads

Baddog fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 23, 2023

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Jan 7, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

I concur with and helped edit the OP.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Any historical rules transferring / getting canceled? (No Blue Story, report a Zaurg on sight, etc etc.)

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Sundae posted:

Any historical rules transferring / getting canceled? (No Blue Story, report a Zaurg on sight, etc etc.)

pmchem and I have kinda different feelings about zaurg, hah! So let's stick with the current "no zaurgs" for now.

Blue story was an even worse zaurg? No blue stories either.

I like "help me with my disaster" threads, but prolly don't want to re-open the old ones. Donut thread is good!

Baddog fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 7, 2023

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Crosby B. Alfred posted:

Source? He seems pretty legit.
My source is i signed up for one of ramit sethis courses back when I was young and impressionable and he was a misogynistic dick in the fb group and threw out one of the women who complained about it for being "overly emotional" which is when I dropped out and stopped supporting anything that dickhead did.

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
2023 should allow zaurg to exist in BFC, but perhaps in a throttled fashion. Maybe a max of one post per week. Just enough to satiate zaurg cravings, but not enough to create chaotic meltdowns. Please advise.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

zaurg posted:

2023 should allow zaurg to exist in BFC, but perhaps in a throttled fashion. Maybe a max of one post per week. Just enough to satiate zaurg cravings, but not enough to create chaotic meltdowns. Please advise.

a reasonably phrased request that may be considered. I shall discuss with baddog. but it should have been sent via PM, because...

Baddog posted:

pmchem and I have kinda different feelings about zaurg, hah! So let's stick with the current "no zaurgs" for now.

right now, no zaurgs.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
That means we can have 1 zaurg

moana
Jun 18, 2005

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

That means we can have 1 zaurg
Every now and then, as a treat

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

moana posted:

Every now and then, as a treat

speaking of which... RULES UPDATE:

Zaurg is now allowed to post in BFC once per calendar month.

Reasoning:

Amnesty. His post history the last few years is largely benign, infrequent, and boring. The ban far predates the current mods; baddog and I see no particular reason for an ongoing subforum ban. The ban is being relaxed to 'one post per calendar month' as a probationary experiment. He still has to follow all regular BFC rules. If we find his posts causing problems, the ban may be reinstated. If life somehow finds a way to carry on, the calendar month limit may eventually be removed.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hadlock has created a new thread for discussion of global economics / business / finance and BFC-related current events:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4027219

He outlined a set of rules in the OP (totally of his own creation, no mod input). We're going to give those a try. To keep things on track there with a BFC flavor, that thread will be modded more strictly than other BFC threads, for now. Everyone, please abide by the OP's rules.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
I was wondering whether SA had a consultancy thread?
I'm not a BFC poster but I thought it might be in here if there was one.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

~Coxy posted:

I was wondering whether SA had a consultancy thread?
I'm not a BFC poster but I thought it might be in here if there was one.

Consultants do post in the corporate thread (and business travel, hah). Can definitely make one though!

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Edited the op to add this:

quote:

If there is any issue with moderation, or mods aren't replying to a situation fast enough, you can always email forumadmins@somethingawful.com . This is a good route to take for users without pms as well. Although you can always use the report button to get mod eyes on something.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Fourier Series and any past/present/future alts are now subforum banned from BFC. Rap sheet has the details:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=226239

Even if he re-regs he is not welcome back in this subforum; some of his behavior on a past account was taken into consideration for this decision. Please report any new posts on sight.

As this is the feedback thread in addition to the rules thread, please feel free to post here if you wanna chat about this or anything else meta.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
THANK YOU.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
THANK YOU FOR YOUR GRANDFATHER'S SERVICE

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

What a dipshit, good riddance

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Baddog posted:

I like "help me with my disaster" threads, but prolly don't want to re-open the old ones. Donut thread is good!

Where did the donut thread go? I thought it might have gotten gassed, but I can't seem to find any evidence of it there either.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

LanceHunter posted:

Where did the donut thread go? I thought it might have gotten gassed, but I can't seem to find any evidence of it there either.

Goldmine!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4012279&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

A fitting end!

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

pmchem posted:

speaking of which... RULES UPDATE:

Zaurg is now allowed to post in BFC once per calendar month.

Reasoning:

Amnesty. His post history the last few years is largely benign, infrequent, and boring. The ban far predates the current mods; baddog and I see no particular reason for an ongoing subforum ban. The ban is being relaxed to 'one post per calendar month' as a probationary experiment. He still has to follow all regular BFC rules. If we find his posts causing problems, the ban may be reinstated. If life somehow finds a way to carry on, the calendar month limit may eventually be removed.

Updating this, Zaurg is now allowed 4 posts in BFC per calendar month. Reason: drama-free success of initial relaxation.

edit: limit increased from 2->4 in February 2024

pmchem fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Feb 3, 2024

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
Thanks pmchen. I appreciate any leniency to my prior offenses. This is post one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moana
Jun 18, 2005

zaurg posted:

Thanks pmchen. I appreciate any leniency to my prior offenses. This is post one.
lmao