Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

It's out and my first impressions are that Nel is cool and Nil is utterly useless and an active liability being on the field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

This is no Cindered Shadows. The new characters are cool but I am not a fan of having mediocre set stats Alear instead of my awesome combat Alear, Nil is a joke that he's force deployed, he's worse than nothing, and Nel is similarly like set stat Alear, mediocre. I almost wish all the units you got were set to make it more like CS, but on hard it's been an unfun slog thus far. Maybe I'll just drop the difficulty.

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
Up to the third Xenologue now. Still wish the Emblems and Skills and Bonds were set instead of being inherited from your game progress, but hey, it gives the 13th Emblem's Lyration a chance to shine. Basically the one time it'll be actually be a good sword.

Weirdly enough, the first Xenologue doesn't have the Maddening "don't attack enemies you can't hurt" programming on its Maddening difficulty, but stage 2 does. Weird oversight.

I appreciate that the alternative royals in the Xenologues all have different skill names. Alternative Alcryst's in particular is funny.

Gregory is another high Magic low Speed mage. I was really hoping we'd get another mixed Speed-Magic out of him instead of Citrinne 2. Zelestia seems good, at least.

Ometeotl posted:

It's out and my first impressions are that Nel is cool and Nil is utterly useless and an active liability being on the field

All of the new units in the Xenologues are kind of useless there just because they're stuck at Bond level 1 and have no inherited skills, and being unable to hand them items during battle preparations doesn't help either. Nil is definitely the worst, but at least he's a Dragon.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I have discovered that Veyle and Mauvier actually leverage their good growths in this mode and both of them have absolutely cracked stats. If you're having trouble I recommend leaning on them. Just need to burn some bond frags so Mauvier actually is decent with at least one emblem.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

From what I gather Nil being a weak, forced unit you have to defend is an intentional design decision, he even gets lower stats at higher difficulties.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hopefully Nil is good in the main game. I like his design and his personal skill looks fun.

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

blizzardvizard posted:

From what I gather Nil being a weak, forced unit you have to defend is an intentional design decision, he even gets lower stats at higher difficulties.

That's incredibly funny. I did the first three maps on hard. You can cheese the first couple maps with prepromoted characters but after that it seems like everyone else catches up pretty quick. While you can't trade items for the new units on the preperation screen you can dump a bunch of your teams equipment into the convoy and have them take it out from there so you can get Zelestia an Elfire or something so she's not stuck with Elthunder for her ranged option. Also gives you like 40 charges of Fortify every map if you so chose. I can't imagine doing this on maddening as soon as you can. The third map was incredibly rude even with units with endgame skill sets and all the emblems.

buddychrist10 fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Apr 5, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

The decision to have fixed stats/items is fine but carrying over skills is so weird. Especially because classes are also fixed, which means some of the skills I have no longer make any sense.

And then Emblem bond levels and support ranks carry over, which makes the DLC specific characters just have a huge stat disadvantages compared to your old units, when they should have been featured and shown off.

Ultimately it's not like a huge deal, but it's very weird.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

https://twitter.com/MikaPikaZo/status/1643572400595021824?s=20

Mika Pikazo’s art is top tier

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist
Woof, this new bridge map sucks all kinds of rear end.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
https://mobile.twitter.com/MTSB_gomaotsu/status/1643550745713856522

Apparently they finally fixed a "bug" where characters now say lines relevant to the stage you just beat all the time instead of sometimes.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Lol.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Best the DLC (on hard, literally cannot imagine doing so on maddening).

The last map might be the most unfun thing I've ever done.

Overall map design was a big disappointment in my opinion, especially after expecting something pretty well tuned if we were going to fixed stats. I felt the plot was kinda eh (though became comical at the end) but I did really enjoy the character writing. Also, Nil being such a poo poo garbo unit you have to protect the entire run leading into the twist is legit pretty funny and good.

I wish doing the DLC wasn't such a slog because it would be a gigantic pain to do this every run just to use the new characters. Also doing it early game seems basically impossible.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

It's fixed in like the worst way possible. Your bonds and emblem inventory still transfer over, and your in-dlc inventory changes every chapter so you basically have to start over everytime.

It feels like a super rushed thing despite literally been on record saying they had years of downtime.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Does the DLC have main campaign spoilers, or could I do it on like, chapter 15?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
DLC Ivy is so cool.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

So it’s looking like no ng+ is coming to actually use these new characters? Bummer

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

So it’s looking like no ng+ is coming to actually use these new characters? Bummer

even worse, you have to beat the entire dlc just to use them for every future playthrough

bravesword
Apr 13, 2012

Silent Protagonist

RuBisCO posted:

I wish doing the DLC wasn't such a slog because it would be a gigantic pain to do this every run just to use the new characters. Also doing it early game seems basically impossible.

I am kind of curious when the best time to do it in a fresh run would be. It seems like doing it as soon as it unlocks would be incredibly sketchy, because even with fixed levels and inventories, you still want a decent collection of Emblems and skills. But if you do it too late you don’t have time to play with the new stuff. Maybe right after the Solm arc? That gives you six strong Emblems plus whatever DLC Emblems you’ve picked up, you have most of the characters available, and you still have enough game left between the remainder of the main story + paralogues to mess around with the added characters and classes.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tae posted:

even worse, you have to beat the entire dlc just to use them for every future playthrough
wait, what? :psyduck:
why would they not make it like cindered shadows and have it be entirely seperate, but completing it unlocks them in all main game saves forever. that was such an elegant solution last time!!!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

bravesword posted:

I am kind of curious when the best time to do it in a fresh run would be. It seems like doing it as soon as it unlocks would be incredibly sketchy, because even with fixed levels and inventories, you still want a decent collection of Emblems and skills. But if you do it too late you don’t have time to play with the new stuff. Maybe right after the Solm arc? That gives you six strong Emblems plus whatever DLC Emblems you’ve picked up, you have most of the characters available, and you still have enough game left between the remainder of the main story + paralogues to mess around with the added characters and classes.
The one issue is that recruiting the DLC characters immediately sets everything outside of main story maps to level 20 promoted, because that is the level the DLC units arrive as and thus, due to how level scaling works in this game, means the game will now think your entire army is level 20 promoted and scale everything else to accommodate. This also means that you'd have to clean up all the DLC Emblems' paralogues and any Emblem Ring paralogues before jumping into the Fell Xenologue, unless you want those maps to become more challenging/annoying.

So yeah, during or right after Solm would be a reasonable time to attempt the Fell Xenologue. I'd wager that waiting until Seadall is recruited would be the absolute best time because you have a dancer and at least have Corrin around to abuse Dragon Veins.

Noonsaliwah
Sep 5, 2006
Shizne

AradoBalanga posted:

The one issue is that recruiting the DLC characters immediately sets everything outside of main story maps to level 20 promoted, because that is the level the DLC units arrive as and thus, due to how level scaling works in this game, means the game will now think your entire army is level 20 promoted and scale everything else to accommodate. This also means that you'd have to clean up all the DLC Emblems' paralogues and any Emblem Ring paralogues before jumping into the Fell Xenologue, unless you want those maps to become more challenging/annoying.

So yeah, during or right after Solm would be a reasonable time to attempt the Fell Xenologue. I'd wager that waiting until Seadall is recruited would be the absolute best time because you have a dancer and at least have Corrin around to abuse Dragon Veins.

The non-DLC Emblem Ring paralogues don’t scale up usually, so they’re at least safe - but yeah the DLC paralogues get levelled up. I’m assuming that skirmishes will also get much more difficult if you’re not at the DLC character levels, since they go off some kind of average level

I guess the co-development with three houses means they didn’t have the ‘precedent’ of the way cindered shadows worked, but that was way better. Hopefully they’ll use that system in the future!

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I would think they wouldn't need to learn "basic functions of a game" to realize not to make you replay a 2-3 hour dlc everytime but intsys has managed to lower the bar every time on things outside of the core gameplay.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, sounds like a good call to not pick up any of the DLC for this game, at least none that's been currently announced.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
rioting because i have to play maps once per playthrough to get extra characters

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Honestly the DLC until now has been mostly great. The extra maps are fun (give or take a Camilla) and the extra Emblems to play around with are a trillion times more interesting than extra characters could ever be.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Eh I would have liked DLC features that weren't so centralising with their power.

Like it genuinely feels like having the DLC makes the game less fun because what's meant to be this relatively tight experience gets blown to smithereens by Edelgard alone.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I'm going to play the game through at least once more, and I actually want to do it without any DLC this time.

The bracelets are fun, but they (and the exp you get from their maps) throw off the balance of the game I think. And I just don't feel like going through the Xenologue all over again, so RIP DLC characters and classes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Now that all the DLC's out I can say that despite the bracelet emblems being pretty fun, Engage is a better game without the DLC. Though a nicer way of putting that is that Engage is a complete game as-is to the degree that adding more on top takes away as much as it adds.

Again I do think the bracelet emblems are fun and some of their maps are, too, but if someone's only going to play through once I would really recommend doing it without the DLC.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
The DLC feels like the encapsulation of Engage maps, that is, multiple hour long slug fests. I might come back to it in the future after having some time off, but man, I 'm ready to put this game away for a while.

A Sinister Rap
Oct 19, 2012
I actually like the later Xenologue maps but also I had to put down the last one halfway through to take a nap.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Chapter 3 took me three hours on Maddening.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
I didn't really notice a huge difference between how much effort it took to finish maps on hard vs maddening until about Chapter 13 or so? The earlier maps required more thought but didn't feel extraneous or take me that much longer. The later maps start really throwing in high unit numbers and inflating the stats, so I do feel 'multi-hour slugfests' becomes accurate by 20 or so though.

I think it's a really good maddening difficulty.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Oh I meant 3 of the DLC.

Multi hour slugfests repeatedly at the end of Maddening is why I got so annoyed at the game.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
Oh that makes way more sense!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
The first time I played Chapter 14, Alear got surprise-killed by the boss when she pulled out a 1-2 range weapon that’s effective against dragons.

The second time I played Chapter 14, Alear got surprise-killed by the boss when she pulled out a 1-2 range weapon that’s effective against dragons.

If I play Engage a third time, I’m pretty sure I know what’s going to happen on Chapter 14.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I know it’s supposed to be a serious scene in the Fell Xenologue when (spoilers for the final chapter) Mauvier uses the warp staff to save the others. However, I can’t help but laugh at how abruptly he sends away Madeline I’m the middle of her confession of love. I like to imagine he could hear the sirens going off in his mind and shut that down before it got out of hand.

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

jimmydalad posted:

I know it’s supposed to be a serious scene in the Fell Xenologue when (spoilers for the final chapter) Mauvier uses the warp staff to save the others. However, I can’t help but laugh at how abruptly he sends away Madeline I’m the middle of her confession of love. I like to imagine he could hear the sirens going off in his mind and shut that down before it got out of hand.

Honestly, I also thought it was pretty hilarious that they conveniently figured out how to off the one guy who had the same name in the alt world

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Did anyone honestly expect them to let us have two Mauvier’s after seeing his identical outfit? Actually that would have been hilarious. Just straight up give us a clone unit with identical stats, bases, appearance, and support conversations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

galagazombie posted:

Did anyone honestly expect them to let us have two Mauvier’s after seeing his identical outfit? Actually that would have been hilarious. Just straight up give us a clone unit with identical stats, bases, appearance, and support conversations.

In fact, just have a different version of all his supports for if you have both of them. The script should be the same, but both Mauviers should be standing around and speaking all their lines in unison. Imagine how safe Veyle would feel with two dudes in huge armor following her around whenever she tries to do anything.