Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
A previewer uploaded a bunch of characters' personal skills: https://imgur.com/a/V3Zf000

Lol at Rosado and Goldmary's synergy

And Céline's retainers as well.

Also interesting is that they seem to push the use of consumables a lot more. Though I feel like Citrinne's ability is very mid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Alear's personal just being a copy-paste of Camilla's is the funniest poo poo to me. We all know who the actual main lord of Conquest was.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Deltasquid posted:

A previewer uploaded a bunch of characters' personal skills: https://imgur.com/a/V3Zf000

Also interesting is that they seem to push the use of consumables a lot more. Though I feel like Citrinne's ability is very mid

I don't think there is synergy though? Both seem to be in-combat activations for themselves, so not exactly sure how you'd stack them.

Briefly looking over the others, Lapis' personal seems extremely dubious. +10 Hit/Avo, -10 Crit if there's an ally next to her is generally just not good for a swordfighter - the Avo is nice, but Hit's generally pointless and a penalty to crit is brutal. In general though I'm noticing a lot of rather niche personal skills there, many of which don't seem particularly useful

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Kanos posted:

Is it "Ah-leer" or "Ah-lay-ar"? I don't recall the name actually being pronounced in one of the trailers yet.
and you can change the name so don't expect anyone to pronounce it within the game either!

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Lord Koth posted:

I don't think there is synergy though? Both seem to be in-combat activations for themselves, so not exactly sure how you'd stack them.

Briefly looking over the others, Lapis' personal seems extremely dubious. +10 Hit/Avo, -10 Crit if there's an ally next to her is generally just not good for a swordfighter - the Avo is nice, but Hit's generally pointless and a penalty to crit is brutal. In general though I'm noticing a lot of rather niche personal skills there, many of which don't seem particularly useful

Yeah, there's nothing here that's near the level of like Rivalry in 3h.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

also i would not assume how useful any of these are based on previous fire emblem games, like how good +10 hit is depends entirely on the context. it would've been pretty good in three houses maddening!

they do seem to follow the general trend of personals since fates of being more flavourful than useful.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lord Koth posted:

crits are good if it's hard to one-round enemies and bad otherwise, and it seems like this is a game where you will not be lacking for offensive power

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Lord Koth posted:

Thematically synergizing, I guess not so much during your turn. But in maps where you're expected to fight these goobers (I assume they will pop up a few times as opponents) I'm bringing a bunch of ladies to the fight

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I had to do a double-take at Citrinne's personal skill, that one's actually amazing. If she can AOE heal then you don't need to dedicate anyone to staff duty (though one person can take Micaiah's ring in case you need some extra spot healing or need to split the team), and this game has Sigurd's Canter so that healing won't even take Citrinne too far out of position. Plus, the standard "almost everyone comes with a vulnerary" FE joining inventory means you shouldn't even need to dig too far into your wallet to keep her stocked, and if weapons don't break then she can spare the inventory space.

Just a shame that she's a mage and so her enemy phasing is going to be pretty limited. Might have to baby her a bit with kills.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Einander posted:

I had to do a double-take at Citrinne's personal skill, that one's actually amazing. If she can AOE heal then you don't need to dedicate anyone to staff duty (though one person can take Micaiah's ring in case you need some extra spot healing or need to split the team), and this game has Sigurd's Canter so that healing won't even take Citrinne too far out of position. Plus, the standard "almost everyone comes with a vulnerary" FE joining inventory means you shouldn't even need to dig too far into your wallet to keep her stocked, and if weapons don't break then she can spare the inventory space.

Just a shame that she's a mage and so her enemy phasing is going to be pretty limited. Might have to baby her a bit with kills.
The one person who could take Micaiah's ring is Citrinne herself, since Sacrifice will put her HP down to 1 and then she can just chug vulneraries and elixirs all the live long day! :v:

Lord Koth posted:

Briefly looking over the others, Lapis' personal seems extremely dubious. +10 Hit/Avo, -10 Crit if there's an ally next to her is generally just not good for a swordfighter - the Avo is nice, but Hit's generally pointless and a penalty to crit is brutal.
When I saw Lapis's my first immediate reaction was "drat, that's good". I would make that trade in 90% of regular combat situations. Critting can be devastatingly bad, as can missing.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Diamant's is the bad one unless he's incredibly tanky.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

If you Break an enemy, it's a free +15 hit! Presumably.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends if it triggers if diamant is gonna break the enemy. the battle previews show the enemy being unable to counterattack if you're gonna break, but on the other hand if diamant misses the enemy would counter.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Definitely going to be looking forward to Hortensia's passive +1 to staff ranges, that's fun.

Like that Zelkov and Yunaka have passives encouraging them to hide in a forest/dodgy tile, Yunaka with the crit and Zelkov with the bigger dodge chance.

Alcryst's seems solid if you always have a meat shield near him.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Put Alfred up front baiting the enemy (sword/lance user), Alear behind him, and Alcryst behind her, that's +8 damage baybee

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
RPG site did a podcast preview and he got annoyed at the embargo so he basically gave a more detailed review on a few things.

-The hangout castle is mostly skippable, the boosts you gain are incredibly minor to the point that it's more for fun than three houses-esque chores
-The non-Emblem rings and gacha and all that are mostly useless, you eventually field all 12 rings so no one is going to use a fake ring instead.
-There is technically marriage, but it's less involved than even three houses
-He had the game since mid december, so every major site's impression is probably given enough time in the oven

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

How does marriage get less involved than 3 houses but still exist?

Not that i'm unhappy to hear it.

E: Wait maybe they've finally got rid of S ranks entirely. In which case this will be goty

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Not that i'm unhappy to hear it.

E: Wait maybe they've finally got rid of S ranks entirely. In which case this will be goty

My only guess to reconcile those statements, is that S-ranks are indeed gone but you still get paired endings of sorts.

EDIT: or for comedy option, some of the characters get married during the story but you have no control over it. Chapter 14 rolls around and Alfred casually mentions he asked Ivy's hand in marriage.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Tae posted:

RPG site did a podcast preview and he got annoyed at the embargo so he basically gave a more detailed review on a few things.

-The hangout castle is mostly skippable, the boosts you gain are incredibly minor to the point that it's more for fun than three houses-esque chores
-The non-Emblem rings and gacha and all that are mostly useless, you eventually field all 12 rings so no one is going to use a fake ring instead.
-He had the game since mid december, so every major site's impression is probably given enough time in the oven

:pray:

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good to know.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Deltasquid posted:

My only guess to reconcile those statements, is that S-ranks are indeed gone but you still get paired endings of sorts.

This is the ideal frankly. Well ideal if Alear's endings are treated not especially more significantly than anyone else.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Tae posted:

Serenes Forest has a list of some of the non-Emblem Ring skills and they seem like, okay, not nearly as good as any of the actual Emblem rings but can be situational?

They definitely feel placeholder-y until you get a full team's worth of Emblem rings. Maybe S rank rings are trivial to get so they work as a stop-gap much sooner?

Here are some of them:

Marth/FE1
Caeda: Sympathetic (when foe initiates, if HP <= 50%, damage received -5)
Navarre: Deadly Blade (when initiating with Sword, Crit +10)
Ogma, Merric, Minerva, Linde, Tiki, Kris, Katarina and Legion: No unique skill.

Celica/FE2
Alm: Windsweep (when initiating with Sword, Lck% to prevent counterattack)
Mae: Great Thunder (when using Thunder / Elthunder / Thoron, +20% Damage)
Lukas, Genny and Valbar: No unique skill
Faye, Silque, Delthea, Saber and Conrad: Unknown

Sigurd/FE4
Deirdre: Renewal (HP Recovery +5 per turn)
Seliph: Battlewise (when initiating, if successfully defeats a foe, Crt +1; stacks to max Crt +10, persists until end of map)
Arden, Azelle, Quan, Ayra, Lachesis, Lewyn and Erinys: No unique skill
Ethlyn: Unknown

Micaiah/FE10
Sothe: Bane (Dex/2% to reduce enemy HP to 1 on an attack; certain foes immune)
Elincia: Mercy (if an attack would defeat a foe, instead foe survives with 1 HP)
Sanaki, Naesala, Tibarn, Caineghis and Black Knight: No unique skill
Nailah, Leanne and Nephenee: Unknown

The Elincia ring sounds useful for babying units, so there's that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Three Houses had bespoke CGs for every pairing Byleth could get, plus a small scene. Presumably in this game Alear just gets a paired ending in the ending scroll like everyone else. that'd be marriage existing, but less involved.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The Elincia power should be randomly given to one of your units without telling you to really hone in on the homage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Serenes Forest has a list of some of the non-Emblem Ring skills and they seem like, okay, not nearly as good as any of the actual Emblem rings but can be situational?

They definitely feel placeholder-y until you get a full team's worth of Emblem rings. Maybe S rank rings are trivial to get so they work as a stop-gap much sooner?

Here are some of them:

Marth/FE1
Caeda: Sympathetic (when foe initiates, if HP <= 50%, damage received -5)
Navarre: Deadly Blade (when initiating with Sword, Crit +10)
Ogma, Merric, Minerva, Linde, Tiki, Kris, Katarina and Legion: No unique skill.

Celica/FE2
Alm: Windsweep (when initiating with Sword, Lck% to prevent counterattack)
Mae: Great Thunder (when using Thunder / Elthunder / Thoron, +20% Damage)
Lukas, Genny and Valbar: No unique skill
Faye, Silque, Delthea, Saber and Conrad: Unknown

Sigurd/FE4
Deirdre: Renewal (HP Recovery +5 per turn)
Seliph: Battlewise (when initiating, if successfully defeats a foe, Crt +1; stacks to max Crt +10, persists until end of map)
Arden, Azelle, Quan, Ayra, Lachesis, Lewyn and Erinys: No unique skill
Ethlyn: Unknown

Micaiah/FE10
Sothe: Bane (Dex/2% to reduce enemy HP to 1 on an attack; certain foes immune)
Elincia: Mercy (if an attack would defeat a foe, instead foe survives with 1 HP)
Sanaki, Naesala, Tibarn, Caineghis and Black Knight: No unique skill
Nailah, Leanne and Nephenee: Unknown

The Elincia ring sounds useful for babying units, so there's that.

great thunder doesn't sound bad. Thunder is 1-3 range in this game. If you're dealing 20 damage with a thunder tome, that's an extra 4 might with the magic equivalent of a longbow.

Caeda could also be good for tank units.

Also, it's possible some lategame maps will have more than 12 deployment slots (iirc, we've already seen a couple of the desert maps where there's 13-14 player units on the field), so the bond rings can function as cushion.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Deltasquid posted:

is it just me or does the character design and art style seem a bit more generic than usual? could just be the 3d models

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Tae posted:

Didn't we see that the minor non-emblem rings can be slotted into the Major ones? Wouldn't those minor rings still be useful for pure stats?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
A lot of the games look feels like it was rushed out quickly but it pretty clearly wasn’t so I don’t know what’s up with that

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I mean it looks perfectly fine, im not complaining or anything. i just feel like it doesnt have the usual FE look/style

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

babypolis posted:

I mean it looks perfectly fine, im not complaining or anything. i just feel like it doesnt have the usual FE look/style

It's a modern anime style, as opposed to the anime style of the time when the other games came out. Also it looks like they remembered that colors exist after Three Houses so that's good too.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

babypolis posted:

is it just me or does the character design and art style seem a bit more generic than usual? could just be the 3d models

I'm of the complete opposite opinion - I find the art style to be very colorful and expressive and the character designs pop. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the really muted colors of 3H.

babypolis posted:

FE doesn't have a "usual" style. Even if you ignore everything before the 3DS, Awakening/Fates/Echoes/3H all look quite different.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of the games look feels like it was rushed out quickly but it pretty clearly wasn’t so I don’t know what’s up with that
how so? it looks way better than basically any other 3d FE game.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Kanos posted:

I'm of the complete opposite opinion - I find the art style to be very colorful and expressive and the character designs pop. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the really muted colors of 3H.

FE doesn't have a "usual" style. Even if you ignore everything before the 3DS, Awakening/Fates/Echoes/3H all look quite different.

yeah the 3d models look quite good, very expressive and colorful as you said

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

All Fire Emblems look like the anime of their era.

Dream of the theoretical 1960s Fire Emblem that looks like Tezuka.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

how so? it looks way better than basically any other 3d FE game.

I'm deeply, deeply glad they've finally discovered what anti-aliasing is so the models don't suffer from that absolutely hideous edge jaggies issue that plagued 3H.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

CharlestheHammer posted:

idk what this means because this is the most visually polished fire emblem has ever been by far

the series has generally gone for a more muted style with its character designs though, so this game's bright & bold designs are quite a shift from the norm. some of them are pretty goofy but they're at least endearingly ridiculous. i definitely prefer three houses' character designs but engage looks so much better overall so that's a tradeoff i'm quite happy with

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe4's artstyle is honestly much more generically 'contemporary anime'

its just that the boxart was by a different artist and the ingame artstyle couldnt really fully express this

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
It just looks like a lovely last gen anime game. Nothing particularly interesting in it other than the main characters design being so bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It just looks like a lovely last gen anime game. Nothing particularly interesting in it other than the main characters design being so bad
i mean the last gen part is just because switch. and again, it looks a thousand times better than three houses in terms of both graphics and art design. the character designs are a take it or leave it thing but it objectively is the best looking 3d FE.