Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly I feel like Alfred’s one of those units that look better than they are on paper than in practice. Like, it depends on your playstyle too I guess but for me he ended up being bulky but not super potent when it came to his one attack a lot of the tome; and also in that speed threshold where he’s not only never doubling but in danger of being doubled which offsets the bulk.

That said, Alfred is cool and my friend and even if I found Engage Hard/Classic engaging enough to never make me just fall into a pattern of just kinda phoning it in, it wasn’t hard enough that I was actively cursing myself for using him/Celine over, say Goldmary/Pandreo. I don’t think I ever especially got any use out of him being on a horse, which is a shame since “being on a wingless horse” is a thing that confers benefits in this game beyond movement. Are there any especially good Bond/Engage bonuses for mounted units?

Roy gives +1 movement to Cavalry when engaged, on top of being a good stat stick in general. If you want to count DLC, Camilla gives Cavalry +2 movement and gives flying with none of the downsides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Also I can’t fully explain why I feel this way but I feel regular horses are always the coolest mounts in Fire Emblem, so cavalry will always have that going for it too.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

Aside from Sigurd giving even more movement to cavalry units, not really. Cavalry does get the same 100% activation on Bonded Shield for the same unit type that fliers get, but that's much more useful on fliers than on grounded cavalry. Roy's Rise Above also gives +1 Move to cavalry, which is kind of neat.

I think IS was trying really hard to nerf cavalry in this game and perhaps went a bit too far. It's notable how few type bonuses cavalry get from emblems, and how the ones they do get are often less useful than the ones other types get. Even the cavalry Dragon Vein is one of the weaker ones, since it creates an awkward checkerboard pattern of avoid-nerfing water tiles that can be hard to affect a lot of enemies with. (And if you really need to debuff avoid with Corrin, Torrential Roar is right there.)

Honestly it’s kinda a shame they went so overkill in nerfing cavs since it also applies to the enemy. If enemy paladins/[insert non-great knight here] knights had 7 move they’d be more dangerous. Though wolf knights don’t really need the help…

ROFL Octopus posted:

Also I can’t fully explain why I feel this way but I feel regular horses are always the coolest mounts in Fire Emblem, so cavalry will always have that going for it too.

Same tbh. I think it’s just being a guy on a horse versus, say, a dragon riding a dragon, is pretty hardcore in its own right.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I had good results from making my Alear a paladin. Solid enough growths, and I got a lot of use out of Corrin's water dragon vein to drop enemy Avo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Last Celebration posted:

Honestly it’s kinda a shame they went so overkill in nerfing cavs since it also applies to the enemy. If enemy paladins/[insert non-great knight here] knights had 7 move they’d be more dangerous. Though wolf knights don’t really need the help…

I wouldn't mind if Paladins got +1 move over other Cavalry, that'd be a nice selling point for the class I think.

Cythereal posted:

I had good results from making my Alear a paladin. Solid enough growths, and I got a lot of use out of Corrin's water dragon vein to drop enemy Avo.

Yeah it's not like it's an awful class or anything--anyone who'd make a good physical attacker will do just fine as a Paladin--it's just that it's hard to see what it offers over a flier, or even a Wolf Knight, for similar units. Well, it does have pretty cool armor and doesn't make you wear a wolf tail, in case you want to try to take cutscenes at least a little seriously.

I do really like the water tiles, I just found that Torrential Roar gave me enough of those when I actually needed them.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Eirika also gives bonus damage on her engage attack to Calvary, which helps secure kills against corrupted wyrms

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

I wasn't finding maddening to be that big of a jump in difficulty until I tried playing through some of the bracelet paralogues after the point where promoted enemies start appearing.

I did Tiki's early on, way before promoted units, and it didn't feel much harder than on hard, but now I'm trying Hector's, and each and every cluster of enemies is a slog to take out. I actually gave up on Chrom and Robin's and decided to come back when I have Corrin for crowd control because the huge mobs of promoted enemies were so overwhelming.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Harrow posted:

I wouldn't mind if Paladins got +1 move over other Cavalry, that'd be a nice selling point for the class I think.

Tbh I was thinking that they should just make weapon ranks do literally anything besides gating a scarce handful of weapons and make it so Paladins are just plain better offensively than most of the other classes.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Inu posted:

I wasn't finding maddening to be that big of a jump in difficulty until I tried playing through some of the bracelet paralogues after the point where promoted enemies start appearing.

I did Tiki's early on, way before promoted units, and it didn't feel much harder than on hard, but now I'm trying Hector's, and each and every cluster of enemies is a slog to take out. I actually gave up on Chrom and Robin's and decided to come back when I have Corrin for crowd control because the huge mobs of promoted enemies were so overwhelming.

Yeah this tracks with my own experience.

For anyone else playing on Maddening, if you want to do the DLC paralogues, it's probably best to do them ASAP because if you wait until enemies promote there's a gigantic leap in difficulty. The DLC paralogues scale based on your army's overall level, but the key is that they're always going to be higher than your level, and that can make them feel almost insurmountable in the mid game.

I'd say any time between chapters 12 and like 17 or 18 is probably a "don't even try it" time for the DLC paralogues, unless you can cheese them with Bonded Shield fliers or something. Though I'll note that Veronica's paralogue is pretty easy no matter when you do it because there aren't many reinforcements and you can ignore the map's gimmick with fliers if you want.

In the later parts of the game you'll have more tools to deal with things and more ways to potentially skip aspects of maps, and early on the enemies are unpromoted and not too terrible to deal with, but there's a stretch of time in the mid-game when enemies have promoted but your tools are still fairly limited where the DLC paralogues are nightmarish on Maddening.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
As someone who's done 1.5 runs of Maddening:

It starts off very fair. Chapter 4 will be the first to kind of challenge you, after that it's mainly about careful positioning. The difficulty jump happens at chapter 10 and 11, then you get another lull with 12 and a huge jump at 13 and onward in terms of enemies power levels.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I felt like 19 was the only real jump in Maddening story quest difficulty.

And the paralogues are just all over the place, where like Lucy is trivial and Ike is insane.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Ike is really easy if you have a few good magic users and rush through the left side.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Natural 20 posted:

I felt like 19 was the only real jump in Maddening story quest difficulty.

And the paralogues are just all over the place, where like Lucy is trivial and Ike is insane.

I think Lucina specifically is a tutorial on how Paralogues work

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I found Maddening to be a lot of fun in this game. I really love using Corrin, it makes me feel very smart.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah overall I think Maddening is great, I just think the DLC paralogues specifically have kinda hosed up scaling on Maddening, and even then only some of them. Tiki's isn't bad because you can just take it really slowly and treat the reinforcement waves as EXP pinatas. Veronica's is really easy because again you can take it slow and cheese it with fliers. Even Hector's isn't that bad--the enemies become really difficult to kill but there's no time pressure on you at all and the reinforcements are finite and spawn from a predictable spot at predictable times, so you can just crawl forward and play carefully to make it through.

Camilla's and Chrom/Robin's paralogues are hosed up though, just pure, distilled evil. Soren's is also kind of rude but not that bad.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

You can cheese Camilla with warp/rescue and Lynn on a cover unit. Just warp your Lynn carrier upward one stage from near your starting area, tag Camilla with astra storm, rescue them back and wait for her to fly down.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
How much higher is the hit rate on maddening? I was never in danger on Camilla's map on Hard, but I was forced to permanently leave my two best units in a small hallway near the forever reinforcements, running Alear as a fog machine every single turn.

I guess maddening actually avoids units that it can't hit, supposedly, so maybe it'd be harder whenever the reinforcements finally finished taking the long way around.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Alfred because he's a sword/lance unit when you want 5 warriors with long bows

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Veryslightlymad posted:

How much higher is the hit rate on maddening? I was never in danger on Camilla's map on Hard, but I was forced to permanently leave my two best units in a small hallway near the forever reinforcements, running Alear as a fog machine every single turn.

I guess maddening actually avoids units that it can't hit, supposedly, so maybe it'd be harder whenever the reinforcements finally finished taking the long way around.

Yeah it's less that enemy hit rates are higher (they are but not drastically, just because enemy stats are higher in general) and more that you can't dodge tank with someone with 0% hit rates. Combine that with the hybrid Fates RN system where it's 1RN below 50% and enemies are going to hit your tanks more often than on Hard, and they hit harder when they do.

As others have pointed out, the best approach to Camilla's map on Maddening is to cheese her by pulling with an Astra Storm. Amusingly, the devs planned for that and there's a special reinforcement wave that only spawns on Maddening and only if Camilla is attacked from more than 8 tiles away, which is pretty hilarious, but they aren't a real obstacle to the strategy working.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Is a character's "real level" listed anywhere in the game? For the ones I was able to promote right at 10 it's easy enough, but not for the others or the pre-promotes (unless I look up the latter on a third party site). Paralogues list "recommended base level" and I'm just trying to get a sense of where my team is.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Tender Bender posted:

Is a character's "real level" listed anywhere in the game? For the ones I was able to promote right at 10 it's easy enough, but not for the others or the pre-promotes (unless I look up the latter on a third party site). Paralogues list "recommended base level" and I'm just trying to get a sense of where my team is.

Nope, but I really wish it was.

You can find internal levels on this average stats calculator so you can at least find where each character starts: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats (this has recently been fixed, too--it previously showed the wrong internal levels for anyone who joined unpromoted)

Inu
Apr 26, 2002

Jump! Jump!

Harrow posted:

Even Hector's isn't that bad--the enemies become really difficult to kill but there's no time pressure on you at all and the reinforcements are finite and spawn from a predictable spot at predictable times, so you can just crawl forward and play carefully to make it through.

This has been my strategy so far on this one. I gave up on getting the thieves and treasure from the start, didn't split my army, and now I'm stuck near the bottom of the map waiting for the reinforcements to stop so I can move forward again without getting pincered between two groups of enemies.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I've done the unthinkable and made Alear a mage night. Permanent ponytail is good though.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Tae posted:

Summoning with Alear is some wild poo poo. You just get a massively overstatted unit for free that immediately can move and attack. Even the 4 stars are pretty beefy, got a 4 star griffon rider that had 20 str/20 spd which is pretty good in chapter 8.

And I got Leif in chapter 9 that had 25 str.
im upset at the lack of Dragon units in this game because frankly some of the conferred abilities are buck wild and I want to use all of them simultaneously. Like, yes, I could give Alear the power of Gacha, but Camilla letting her become a flying unit without flier weakness on-demand, with a massive AoE attack? I know that's not exclusive to Dragons, but anything else feels like a huge downgrade.

IMO it would be nice if the person you gave the Pact Ring to could also access bullshit dragon powers, just for the shenanigan potential.

FrickenMoron posted:

I've done the unthinkable and made Alear a mage night. Permanent ponytail is good though.

its so hosed that you cant just assign hairstyles on a whim. Let me have the ponytail without class changing, cowards!!!

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
If you have the Lyn outfit, that one has the ponytail as well by default.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

FrickenMoron posted:

yes but that doesnt exist outside of the somniel

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."

FrickenMoron posted:

If you have an FE Amiibo, though, then why wouldn't you give her Micaiah's outfit instead? It's even in her colors!

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Harrow posted:

Nope, but I really wish it was.

You can find internal levels on this average stats calculator so you can at least find where each character starts: https://fe17.triangleattack.com/average_stats (this has recently been fixed, too--it previously showed the wrong internal levels for anyone who joined unpromoted)

Thanks! That's kind of annoying, I know it's how most of the games are but I feel like Level as a quick one-number benchmark is helpful, and this system kinda removes that.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Story question regarding emblems as by the end I was super confused and I can't tell if it's bad writing or if I'm too tired to really 'get' what the emblems are.

Marth says that they're things that have been in Elyos forever and part of this world. Alright cool. Then later on in the side stories they talk about having adventures in their own worlds and the heartache they went through on their own quests so uh, I guess they are the protags? But then in the final boss they say 'nah there are real versions of us out in the multiverse we aren't them we didn't have their adventures.' ... only for the Dark Emblems to appear and for them all to get recognized with poo poo like "Idunn I don't want to fight you again."

I can't tell anymore what the hell they are, or why they ask to increase their bond and relationships by killing your dudes. Like Alear thanking Marth for a good spar saying 'yeah we grew closer' while standing over the corpses of Alcryst or other nobles/lords/friends is uhhh... bit much

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

He is Emblem Marth, to be clear. He is not the actual Marth but some sorta ghost version of him that has his history but y'know isn't the actual guy. The actual guy is in Archanea being a King still probably.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Story question regarding emblems as by the end I was super confused and I can't tell if it's bad writing or if I'm too tired to really 'get' what the emblems are.

Marth says that they're things that have been in Elyos forever and part of this world. Alright cool. Then later on in the side stories they talk about having adventures in their own worlds and the heartache they went through on their own quests so uh, I guess they are the protags? But then in the final boss they say 'nah there are real versions of us out in the multiverse we aren't them we didn't have their adventures.' ... only for the Dark Emblems to appear and for them all to get recognized with poo poo like "Idunn I don't want to fight you again."

I can't tell anymore what the hell they are, or why they ask to increase their bond and relationships by killing your dudes. Like Alear thanking Marth for a good spar saying 'yeah we grew closer' while standing over the corpses of Alcryst or other nobles/lords/friends is uhhh... bit much

They're like the Platonic ideal of who those people are. They know their history and their adventures but they're not the same people.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
you could even say, they are Emblematic of the person they represent,

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The Chrom paralogue on Maddening might well be the worst Fire Emblem map I have ever played and it's not particularly close. This is awful.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

To the first question: Basically, yeah, what people said. They are not the actual characters; they represent them and have their histories, but they are unique spiritual beings who don't particularly mind a millenium of dormancy on the side. To the second: I think this is a strict plot/gameplay divergence. They have no conceivable reason to want to kill off your units, but all the fights against them are optional and mostly based off games that did not have a casual mode. It's just assumed you're playing on casual or using the time crystal to pull everyone through, even when you're not.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So ignoring that Veronica is a cheat code in a way no other emblem is....

The Well meta has put an interesting uno reverse where characters before the Ivy brigade suddenly have a slight edge in getting access to Canter+something else useful to gap the stat difference.

Now it's not just Yunaka vs Zelkov, it's Yunaka with guaranteed Canter+I dunno, Avoid +15 or something now.

A unit like Citrinne or Etie benefits heavily from guaranteed Canter+a skill when they get matched up by their speedier stat brethen in Pandreo or Fogado respectively.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I think it's still pretty hard for Alfred's retinue to gain enough EXP to promote (without DLC paralogues), but I definitely think the well makes the Brodians in particular look more appealing for long-term use. Amber for example won't be too far behind Panette in stats, but having Canter would be an actual selling point to use him over her.

You don't get too many chapters to farm SP books though. You get Chapter 7, 8, and 9, so you can only funnel SP towards maybe 2 early game units. Maybe a bit more if you save Jean and Anna's paralogues for after Chapter 7.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

The well is definitely a pretty huge balance shake-up, though its effects are probably less pronounced in the early game without DLC maps (at least on Maddening where you won't get any skirmishes that early either). Definitely still impactful though and with luck you can probably inherit Canter or another high-value skill on a few more people.

Though really the bigger bottleneck for early-game characters is EXP. Again assuming no DLC, you're probably only going to have a couple of your Lythos or Firene characters at promotion level by chapter 11 at all, which makes it really hard for them not to be immediately outclassed by Ivy's crew even with an SP lead.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I wanted to turn Amber into my dedicated Halberdier on my Ironman maddening run but Hortensia roasted him in Chapter 10. Anyone else really suited to the role?

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

FrickenMoron posted:

I wanted to turn Amber into my dedicated Halberdier on my Ironman maddening run but Hortensia roasted him in Chapter 10. Anyone else really suited to the role?

I run halberdier Panette with Sigurd, and I think she's pretty good. She has high strength but mediocre speed, so she can get some good use out of the auto-doubling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Louis would make a solid Halberdier for similar reasons to Panette or Amber. He doesn't have quite as much Strength but he still has a good amount, and he'll have great Defense (which is something Halberdier is also pretty good at).