Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

i don't think you know what lovely last gen anime games looked like

this is like that thing where people say "this looks like a ps2 game" about something that looks slightly worse than the latest naughty dog game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

i don't think you know what lovely last gen anime games looked like

this is like that thing where people say "this looks like a ps2 game" about something that looks slightly worse than the latest naughty dog game
ironically three houses actually did look like a ps2 game

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Endorph posted:

ironically three houses actually did look like a ps2 game

That reminds me, is Tecmo-Koei co-developing this game this time? I mean, I think 3 Houses visually has its charms, but there is only so much you could do with that crummy engine they use.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Unlucky7 posted:

That reminds me, is Tecmo-Koei co-developing this game this time? I mean, I think 3 Houses visually has its charms, but there is only so much you could do with that crummy engine they use.

No, the co-developer on this one is Gust, who do JRPGs like the Atelier series.

EDIT: Well, actually, Tecmo-Koei do own Gust. It's just that its not the Dynasty Warriors part of Tecmo-Koei again.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

That reminds me, is Tecmo-Koei co-developing this game this time? I mean, I think 3 Houses has its charms, but there is only so much you could do with that crummy engine they use.
this game seems much more intelligent systems based but there are rumors that GUST (the atelier guys) are lending some manpower and support. the presentation isn't dissimilar to gust's recent work like atelier ryza so it makes sense to me.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Unlucky7 posted:

they're not. the initial leaks that were otherwise accurate claimed that gust were co-developing it this time but there's been no mention of that since so they likely only had a minor role at most if there's any truth to it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if the game's been ready for a while (and the reviewers having had the game since december and the relatively short time between announcement and release tracks) then i imagine the game isn't wholly intsys, since they had paper mario and wario ware within the past couple years, but it definitely isn't as completely farmed out as three houses was.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Hearing about how well the game looks and runs also makes me think they also have Monolithsoft assisting with the game, as they have a really great handle on the Switch hardware in general and Nintendo seems keen on leveraging that as much as possible.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
last gen anime games own imo, as do current gen anime games, like Fire Emblem: Engage

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

I really do feel like people are forgetting how PS2 games looked.

Three Houses was clearly an early PS3 game. This one looks like a PS4 game though.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Endorph posted:

fe4's artstyle is honestly much more generically 'contemporary anime'

its just that the boxart was by a different artist and the ingame artstyle couldnt really fully express this

That’s the good poo poo

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Like on a pure technical basis the game blows 3h out of the water in terms of aiming for what it wants to do.

And what it wants to do is copy Genshin's artstyle.

That's going to have some fans for sure, but if you're just not into that or just tired of the saturation of that particular style then you're out of luck.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the artstyle isnt really anything like genshin's. the colors are a lot more saturated, the face/eye shape is different, the character proportions are different, it uses different shading.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 9, 2023

lih
May 15, 2013

as far as 'anime games' go both genshin and engage are some of the best around in terms of being visually appealing, despite certainly not being technical marvels or anything.

there's a similarity in the visual style - a particular cel-shaded look for the characters over stylised landscapes - so i get why it's come up as a comparison point but it's not like it's blatantly ripping it off or anything. the character designs aren't really anything alike though yeah

lih fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Jan 9, 2023

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

the artstyle isnt really anything like genshin's. the colors are a lot more saturated, the face/eye shape is different, the character proportions are different, it uses different shading.

Yes okay, it is very technically different.

But Genshin has been hugely impactful on 3D character design and clearly impacts this game.

The influence and comparative are clear.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Yes okay, it is very technically different.

But Genshin has been hugely impactful on 3D character design and clearly impacts this game.

The influence and comparative are clear.

wouldnt this game had to have started development before genshin even came out. i doubt they could have clocked this thing out in barely two years. three houses took 4 years to make.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Endorph posted:

wouldnt this game had to have started development before genshin even came out. i doubt they could have clocked this thing out in barely two years. three houses took 4 years to make.

Almost assuredly. Genshin came out in 2020, there's a zero percent chance that Engage wasn't deep into production before that, especially given that we know that Engage was shelved for a while - the FE 30th Anniversary that this game was supposedly celebrating was in 2020.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Honestly, it just looks like Gust adapted their modern style of anime models to Pikazo's style. Ryza feels like it's sorta similiar but the artist's style is different so they made the models different. When I saw Engage's models for the first time, I absolutely went "yep, that is Gust, looks like the leaks weren't totally baseless".

High quality 3D cel-shaded anime models aren't exactly that rare these days.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I think Genshin is just...... a good looking contempary anime game??? Just like Engage is?

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
All anime is bad and the same, except for the anime I like, which is good and different.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

and i was so careful with my language to avoid the anime debate.... :negative:

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Endorph posted:

Yeah probably. That doesn't mean that visual style wouldn't be influenced during development. The most basic alteration I can think of might well be the kind of shaders you want to use. But even then, models don't just get put in place and stay static for the entire development period.

babypolis posted:

and i was so careful with my language to avoid the anime debate.... :negative:

People are confusing "It looks visually like an incredibly popular modern anime game, which often can evoke mixed reactions," with "I dislike anime."

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I'm pretty ambivalent on the game's visual style even though I didn't like it very much at first, I just care how well it plays. I'm sure the narrative will be dull as dishwater compared to 3H but 3H is one of the weaker FEs to actually play so if this is a step up from that I'll be happy.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
The worst thing about Engage is finding people legit think Pikazo is a bad artist out of the weeds

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe im just the weird one because saying this game and genshin look alike is genuinely, to me, like saying it looks like super mario odyssey. like no it doesnt.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Even if it quote-unquote "looks like Genshin", so what

hopeandjoy posted:

I think Genshin is just...... a good looking contempary anime game??? Just like Engage is?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

genshin impact was the first thing that came to mind for me but i only have a passing knowledge of that game

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

When Genshin first came out people banged on about how it looks like BotW too. In a few years we'll be complaining that another cel-shaded 3D anime game "looks like Fire Emblem Engage"

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

blizzardvizard posted:

When Genshin first came out people banged on about how it looks like BotW too. In a few years we'll be complaining that another cel-shaded 3D anime game "looks like Fire Emblem Engage"

I mean it would be insane to say GI isn't inspired by BOTW it has the stamina circle and the glider and everything. Graphically I definitely prefer Genshin though, which is weird because BOTW is obviously inspired by Windwaker, one of my favorite looking games. But BOTW is just kinda ugly :shrug:

Is Sommie a sealed dragon god or is he just a weird dog.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

mycot posted:

Is Sommie a sealed dragon god or is he just a weird dog.

He's my new best friend is what he is.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Another pegasus knight continues the trend of being the straightest woman

Also I just noticed that our trainee this time is a healer, which is interesting. In theory it should make the growing pains much less noticeable as you can just gain XP by using staves.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah hes a monk like framme, punch/staves. wonder if he has any unique qualities beyond his growths, like maybe he starts with a few extra weapon proficiencies besides fists/staves so he can reclass easier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lih
May 15, 2013

sommie is officially a "mysterious creature" and seemingly immortal

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

wasnt particularly interested in this game before but all the mechanical stuff in the op sounds good, thank you op

still have one big question though, does this game use map sprites or map models

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
my only complaint about the art style/character design is the weird smile everyone has

i dunno why i just find it kind of off putting

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

wasnt particularly interested in this game before but all the mechanical stuff in the op sounds good, thank you op

still have one big question though, does this game use map sprites or map models
the entire game's 3d but there are small sprites of the characters in the menus and such

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

gently caress

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style. Chainsaw Man is also the best anime of the season by far and it's muted, checkmate atheists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chainsaw man's anime is okay but its not really as good as the manga and bocchi, g-witch, blue lock, and akiba maid war were all significantly better, imo