Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Is it "Ah-leer" or "Ah-lay-ar"? I don't recall the name actually being pronounced in one of the trailers yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

babypolis posted:

is it just me or does the character design and art style seem a bit more generic than usual? could just be the 3d models

I'm of the complete opposite opinion - I find the art style to be very colorful and expressive and the character designs pop. It's a breath of fresh air compared to the really muted colors of 3H.

babypolis posted:

I mean it looks perfectly fine, im not complaining or anything. i just feel like it doesnt have the usual FE look/style

FE doesn't have a "usual" style. Even if you ignore everything before the 3DS, Awakening/Fates/Echoes/3H all look quite different.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

how so? it looks way better than basically any other 3d FE game.

I'm deeply, deeply glad they've finally discovered what anti-aliasing is so the models don't suffer from that absolutely hideous edge jaggies issue that plagued 3H.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

wouldnt this game had to have started development before genshin even came out. i doubt they could have clocked this thing out in barely two years. three houses took 4 years to make.

Almost assuredly. Genshin came out in 2020, there's a zero percent chance that Engage wasn't deep into production before that, especially given that we know that Engage was shelved for a while - the FE 30th Anniversary that this game was supposedly celebrating was in 2020.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lih posted:

the character designs in this aren't anywhere near as stupid as xb2

Literally no one in this game has an outfit within ten thousand miles of how dumb Rex's design is in XB2.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Hellioning posted:

Half 'slap some gears on it and call it steampunk', half 'Luso from Tactics A2.'

The excuse is supposed to be that the outer steampunky parts are part of armored diving suit that gets filled out when he goes diving, but it's still hideous.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KSym7PNxC8

glad goldmary isnt just the shy one, she actually seems really funny

The only thing I don't like about these two is that they're probably going to be late recruits due to starting off as antagonists and being part of a crowd of prepromotes. :allears:

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I am sad I can't put Boucheron on a pegasus for the same reason why I was sad that Three Houses/Three Hopes didn't let me teach Hilda to punch people to death.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I never had a problem with Robin or Corrin because both of them were actually characters who had something approaching a personality despite being customizable avatar stand-ins. Robin's writing was fine, Corrin's writing sucked but that's more down to Fates's writing sucking in general.

Byleth being dead silent and communicating entirely through dialogue picks I didn't like.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm in a weird place where I originally was fine with Three Houses Byleth but then I played Hopes and enjoyed the Hopes Byleth characterization enough that I was mad that I missed out on the potential for an entire game of Awkward Killer Robot Byleth trying to interact with people and them reacting to him/her(because Hopes Byleth doesn't get to talk to a lot of people or be around for very long).

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Sudden Javelin posted:

I am still a big fan of houses but if this does turn out to be a basic rear end dragon killing plot then it bodes well for thread discourse

Three Houses has unsealed Pandora's Box. Fire Emblem must now always have horrible discourse.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

honestly ij ust hate everything about fates. i hate pair-up conceptually and fates' pair up being more 'balanced' just makes me madder at it, i hate how conquest's maps are designed outside of chapter 10, i hate how it has no idea what gameplay pacing is, i hate having to change classes 3-5 times per character for the optimal builds, i hate shurikens/ninja spam, etc.

its plot isnt even in the top 10 of my problems with it.

I actually like Fates to some degree and I can agree with a lot of these criticisms. Throwing knives/shuriken were an especially terrible and utterly baffling design decision, especially in a game where they very deliberately nerfed weapons like javelins and hand axes into the dirt.

I've honestly come to hate reclassing in general.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

The goal with the Dawn Brigade was for them to be scrappy desperate underdogs compared to the other perspectives. You can achieve that by either making the Dawn Brigade characters kind of awkward and weak and have them fight against normal enemies, or you can make them average/good and have them fight against really strong enemies. The result is functionally the same, except the latter can create weird narrative issues like "why were the random dudes the dawn brigade was fighting super strong compared to the troops everyone else was fighting?"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

There is no inherent value in a franchise, especially a franchise where individual entries aren't directly connected and are wildly different in aesthetic and tone. You don't need to play something that doesn't interest or engage(ha) you just because it has "Fire Emblem" in the title in TYOOL 2023 where there are roughly ten trillion games available that fit every conceivable taste and vibe. It's like someone forcing themself to play FFXI because it's a Final Fantasy game even though they hate MMOs.

I get not wanting to feel excluded, but I'm not sure if it actually counts as being meaningfully included when your inputs to the conversation are uniformly variations on "I hate everything about the decisions that they made for this game, god, I hope I can force myself to pay Nintendo 60 dollars for the ability to play it". There's an entire constellation of communities for every video game under the sun to participate in, and the FE community will still exist when the next game comes out that is something you might like more.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

three houses is about as much a collection of completely random half-finished ideas as fates is, its just the base writing quality is way better and it isnt as desperate to be liked

It's funny, because Fates's horrible "the war between the kingdoms and every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the invisible third kingdom led by a psychotic dragon" schtick is almost the same poo poo conceptually as Houses' "the war between the countries and almost every other problem was actually being caused by the evil manipulations of the underground mole people with nukes" schtick.

Fates is, in a lot of ways, basically a shoddy test platform for 3H.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

We 100% know there's going to be at least one "countries tragically manipulated by the Bad Guys into fighting us despite being cool people" bit in Engage, given that they've very prominently shown off Hortensia/Rosado/Goldmary both trying to kill Alear/steal their magic rings and also having cool anime hangout time.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

A route split where everything is the exact same except instead of Good Marth telling you you're a cool person it's Evil Marth lighting up a cigarette and telling you to gently caress off.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm extremely amped that reclassing seems to be kind of a huge and involved pain in the rear end, so it's a thing you do for a couple of characters you want to tweak maybe instead of minmaxing the entire class into a samey slurry.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Funky Valentine posted:

The Three Houses engage is just Edie, Dmitri, and Claude endlessly arguing about whose fault everything is.

It's Edelgard and Dimitri arguing while Claude stands off to the side looking uncomfortable.

Unless it's the Three Hopes versions, where it's Edelgard and Dimitri arguing while Claude keeps trying to find a moment where both of their backs are turned to knife one of them.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Customizable names for the protagonist don't work at all in voice acted games where people address the protagonist directly all the time. There always has to be some workaround nickname/title that always sounds super forced.

It's even funnier in the recent FE games where the protagonist can befriend and fall in love with other characters to the point where they want to marry you but they still call you by your stupid title.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

JBP posted:

How are people are able to play? I thought it came out on the 20th?

There's a whole bunch of broken street date copies and of course whenever that happens someone inevitably makes a rom dump.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Syrnn posted:

Is renaming the MC/MU even that common practice? I know I wouldn't exactly be heartbroken if they just set it in stone. Like why even have defaults like Robin/Corrin/Byleth if they're never used? It all feels vestigial considering they're not truly blank template characters. Corrin was a dumb name though but chalk that up with the rest of the arbitrary and terrible name changes.

The defaults are there both because you need some kind of name if the player doesn't feel like making one up, and also because you need a name to identify them in marketing/crossover stuff beyond "FE17_Protagonist".

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

To be fair to the voice direction, it's 100% in character for Vander, Clanne, and Framme to constantly fawn over you with a cloyingly flattering title, given that their whole thing is that they're part of an order created specifically to be your caretakers/bodyguards/personal fan club.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I understand why they do it, but I've come to truly detest the model of "pay $30 upfront for an ongoing drip feed of DLC" plan - 100% of the time I'm finished with the game long before even the second wave of DLC characters comes out, and an extra character or two isn't enough to get me to replay unless I was going to replay anyway.

Just let me pay $10 for the first wave characters so I can pay only for the part I'll actually use.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Xenoblade 3 did the same poo poo and I am absolutely not replaying a 120 hour JRPG to experience the sidequests of two new characters who will be forgotten outside of their hour of side content.

I'm willing to pay them money for the stuff that's already done, just not the stuff that won't be out for ages.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

at least the dlc for xb2 mostly made sense because the big things there were a full prequel jrpg and a post-game arena

That kind of content makes sense because it's an entirely new branch of content to do instead of two or three additional kinda-sorta party members that aren't really full party members.

Like I don't mind paying in advance for something like Cindered Shadows, which is an expanded and complete new experience so I'm willing to go back to it.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Harrow posted:

Going by what people are saying, it sounds like reclassing isn't really a big factor this time around unless you go out of your way for it, maybe? Like something to maybe spice up repeat playthroughs or let you do weird things with a unit you want to put extra effort into, but not something you should expect to do regularly on a first playthrough?

That seems to be the case, yes. You need weapon type access to become a class, which means you need to spend time with that character using whatever engage provides that weapon proficiency, which of course means that other characters can't be working on getting that same weapon prof unlocked at the same time(unless it's a weapon you have multiple engages for, so, like, swords i guess).

There's also, at least early on, a limited number of seals.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Jan 18, 2023

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

worms butthole guy posted:

how is everyone playing this already, isn't it out friday

There's been a lot of stores that have broken street date, which means rom dumps were made, which means that there's already tons of datamine info as well as people who have just marathon played the game and posted about it elsewhere.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

It's interesting that they talk about 3H's animations being more subdued because they were held back by the battalion system.

quote:

The previous title, Fire Emblem: Three Houses, was a war chronicle, so there was the flashy appeal of leading a large number of troops as "battalions" but because of that, we weren't able to pursue the flashy dramatic effects in 3D.

If the movement is limited to one character, it made it look like others in a battalion were not following. So, we didn't have much choice but to tone down the actions. But this time, we could plan out the battle scenes on an individual basis, so we asked Intelligent Systems to make the actions as flashy as possible, like adding a dash motion effect when soldiers attack or allowing to shoot an arrow from a fort and so on.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Could you imagine trying to dress a wolf?

I'm pretty sure that if you can train a wolf to willingly keep you on its back while it's doing blanka ball jumps you can probably train it to put on a shirt.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Honestly, Birthright was also a basic "team up with the Good Guys to beat the Bad Guy" storyline.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh, no, I didn't mean to imply Engage's simpler storyline meant it was the same quality-wise as Birthright, Birthright was boring as gently caress because the plot didn't go anywhere and almost all of the characters were forgettable cardboard.

I was just musing that despite Fates's reputation as trying for a complex storyline and failing, Birthright really didn't and was a very simple Good vs Bad scenario.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

lih posted:

it's funny that the only lords in this game are the two brodia princes for whatever reason

All of the elder and younger royalty of the countries have their own unique classes.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

fadam posted:

Is there any reason to not use the time warp thing to go back and fix bad turns?

The deep sense of internal shame that you aren't a completely flawless and unimpeachable strategist.

(No, there's no reason not to, go nuts.)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

My maddening experience so far:

I've finished five stages and the entire cast has gained a total of three points of strength, combined. One of those three points was on Clanne. In stage 5 I whiffed 13 attacks with an over 75% chance to hit.

I don't think I've ever had an FE run start off this thoroughly cursed so far. :smithicide:

Iymarra posted:

Are these locked or restricted per character, or something which can be trained/learned (with or without a consumable?)

You gain weapon proficiencies by having a character level up their bond with one of the emblem rings that gives the weapon proficiency. So if you want swords, that character needs to level up their bond with Marth, Sigurd, Leif, etc.

You can level up bonds by either spending bond fragments(which are used for a couple of other things as well) or by simply having the character use that emblem in battle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Oh maddening has fixed stat growths for everyone in this one? As in everyone's Alear will get the same level 1 -> 2 100% of the time?

If so that actually makes me feel better about this run so far.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

That is definitely a weird choice, but it makes me feel a lot better that my units are sucking rear end because they're supposed to instead of because my RNG is trash.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Endorph posted:

speaking of clipping issues: zephia

Everything else is so incredibly polished and great looking that Zephia's numerous incredibly bad clipping issues, especially during shots where the camera is very clearly focused on her, feel super bizarre.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Amppelix posted:

that pic came from a real piece of work "anti-localisation" chud twitter account so i wouldn't trust the translation unconditionally, but given that he was trying to make the official version seem bad for removing this maybe we can lol

You'd think an anti-localization chud would write the original to look less skeevy if they were pushing an anti-localization agenda.

Harrow posted:

edit: now that I think about it, the pattern seems to be that infantry units have really useful type bonuses, while the type bonuses for mounted unit types are just "more mobility." That means there's actually a strong reason to use a variety of infantry classes, because as great as mobility is, those infantry type bonuses (Chain Attack, Chain Guard, covert terrain bonus, mystical terrain ignoring, immunity to break) are really good and often worth keeping.

I actually think it goes too far in the case of non-flying mounts. +1 movement from being on a horse or a wolf does not remotely make up for the loss of an infantry passive, at all. For the first time in an FE game, cavalry feel pretty poo poo. Maybe they need like a one-tile canter baseline?

Flyers are fine.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jan 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

I'm trying to decide if there's a real merit to mage knight on maddening or if all sages all the way is the approach. The passive is pretty useful, getting levin swords and flame spears is easy and gives your mages powerful break access, and +1 mov is always nice, but losing a couple of points of base mag, the mystical archetype, and staff access is a loving killer.