Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alear looks stupid and I dislike the engage mechanic being based in nostalgia. I am also worried about how strong the Break and Engage mechanics will be.

Everything else looks cool. Rosado is cute, Hortensia is cute, Ivy is cool, the female armor knight whose name I cannot remember looks cool, and maybe armors will actually be good this game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Good to know.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

3 houses absolutely has a lot more nuance than most fire emblem games (or at least it does the nuance better than 'blood pacts' or 'but she loved him though' did) but I think making broad assumptions about the story is kind of premature.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Edelgard is objectively correct in that Hubert is entirely trustworthy and Dorothea is cool.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Kanos posted:

Literally no one in this game has an outfit within ten thousand miles of how dumb Rex's design is in XB2.

Half 'slap some gears on it and call it steampunk', half 'Luso from Tactics A2.'

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KSym7PNxC8

glad goldmary isnt just the shy one, she actually seems really funny

Yes, excellent.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We should compromise and make unicorn riders that are male only. That way no one is happy.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Zore posted:

I mean the game has functionally removed player avatars with Byleth (and from the previews it sounds like Alear is following in that tradition). There is absolutely nothing customizable or reflective of the player about either of them, functionally they're equivalent to an old school FE protag if they had a gender option and like 2 more choices to make per game.

Can you even rename Alear?

If Byleth wasn't intended to be a player avatar they would be voiced and have dialogue that isn't player chosen. The game will straight up give you dialogue 'choices' with one option if they want Byleth to say something. They're intended to be a player avatar, they just didn't allow you to customize them because they are in pre-rendered cutscenes and they didn't want to do the Fates thing of having them be in first person.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

mycatscrimes posted:

Honestly though, and I accept that I'm in the minority here, having full voice acting and animated cutscenes adds so little to the game for me that I'd definitely trade them away to get rid of the weird 'not a character but also can't really be an avatar' quasi compromise we seem to be stuck with.

Edit: And that's not a call to eliminate any of it, I have no power over fire emblem and don't expect it to be solely made to appeal to me forever.

I mean Robin was from a game without full voice acting and all the animated cutscenes were in first person, so that wouldn't solve anything.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

mycatscrimes posted:

True, I was responding to the assertions that the presence of those things is why we can't have a customizable protagonist.

We can't have a customizable protagonist because making pre-rendered cutscenes exclusively in first person was annoying.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

mycatscrimes posted:

Hence my original post where I would be happier just not having cutscenes. You don't have to agree with me, I was strictly stating a personal preference, not determining the future of the series. I thought you brought up Robin and first person cutscenes in response to that as an acceptable compromise or other alternative? Otherwise I'm very sorry, but I didn't really follow your point.

I was saying that getting rid of cutscenes wouldn't stop the 'not really a character not really an avatar' situation, as evidenced by Robin, who was very much one of those situations and wasn't in a game with cutscenes that showed them.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

theshim posted:

things that make me irrationally upset about fire emblem, episode 15925: it's revelation, not revelations! aaaaaah!!!

anyway in one week I'm gonna engage some emblems and pet sommie and land sick critical hits, hell yeah

The only revelation is that you wanted your money.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Shez is good and I wish they were the protagonist of a mainline game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

3 Houses is good but has many flaws both mentioned and unmentioned. I am still bitter Verdant Wind and Silver Snow are nigh identical.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

eh, meg can sort of contribute a little bit in her join chapter but getting long term use out of her requires some favoritism. if you do put that favoritism in she helps a lot in the dawn brigade's part 3 chapters, but she's still not amazing. those gamefaqs guides were basically right about them not being very good.

Doesn't she get ORKO by the tigers?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The Dawn Brigade being tier 1 when everyone else (except Jill for reasons) is at least tier 2 does a decent enough job at making them the scrappy underdogs on it's own IMO.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It's not like not buying the game will make the next fire emblem come any faster.

Delphisage posted:

I just don't want to go though the same headaches I did playing FE14 and Xenoblade 2, where I keep wanting to throw my game out a window while people tell me I'm at fault for not liking it. Can't I play a style of anime that doesn't feel pandering?

Since all anime is pandering to someone, no.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

evil route where the engages are all the antagonists but micaiah is still there

The Three Houses Rep is just the three lords ring from the DLC and not Thales or Rhea or whatever.

Anyway bring on the evil dragon.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ayra is on the left and Lakche is on the right.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Vulneraries exist, to.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Archer...with muscles?

Unpossible.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Disappointing but FE has always had weird rear end translations so not really surprising.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

So if I put in the name 'Bob' it will randomly say stuff like 'Rob' or 'Blob' or 'Tob'?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

We've been having these issues since at least FFX over 22 years ago, you'd think people would have figured this out by now.

Hell, you want people to be able to rename Byleth? Jeralt has a last name, just make everyone call them Professor Eisner instead of just 'Professor'. Give Alear a 'divine' name that everyone calls them by in voiced dialogue because that is what you are supposed to do with gods or whatever.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Three Houses wants to be a morally grey conflict and mostly succeeds but just cannot resist adding in a completely evil faction of ugly dudes (with one hot chick) that does all the real bad stuff.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

the golden deer route asked you to consider if the developers of dynasty tactics 2 were really up to the task of making a fire emblem game with four routes and if reusing the silver snow route almost completely was worth pretending claude was relevant

I mostly like how they just gloss over Silver Snow entirely.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Season pass stuff makes more sense when it's a game you are expected to replay or the season pass is expansion stuff.

Also not a fan of most of those DLC Emblems. Bleh.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Cute.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Game is out for predownloaders.

Also one day Fire Emblem will stop starting games with a flash-forward. Awakening had a reason to do it, guys! I dunno if this game has a reason to but Fates and Echoes certainly didn't.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Female Alear's outfit with Marth is good and I wish she wore it all the time.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Ha. Chapter 2 is certainly one way to introduce enemy engages. I assume that doesn't count as permadeath, even in classic mode?

EDIT: NEVERMIND game sucks cannot pet the cats.

Hellioning fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 20, 2023

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Sydin posted:

No idea how long it'll stay viable but I am very much enjoying Framme just punching the poo poo out of everybody.

also lmao (chapter... 3 spoilers I guess?) dragon mom dying was the most obvious inevitable plot point imaginable but holy cow did they speedrun that poo poo.

In the exact same way the Fates mom dies, too.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Finished chapter 6. Game is good though it suffers from the same issue Fates does where there's this time critical event but you can still go back to your castle and do push ups or whatever, even if some people push you to do the next chapter now please.

Anyway game is good I am already putting Marth on Céline because the fact she can use a melee weapon with that skirt is hilarious.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Endorph posted:

frankly armor units being able to turn off one of the game's core features feels a touch much, though i never thought he like, literally broke the game, he just seems a touch centralizing, at least on hard. personally id have just made armors immune to the first break each turn.

I have spent years with bad armors. I deserve overpowered armored units for at least one game.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

On one hand, a lot of the Alear worship is annoying

On the other hand I love Clanne and Framme being the founders, co-presidents, and only members of the Alear fan club. That is funny.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Alcryst's intro scene is great, by the way. Like it goes a bit cartoony for my tastes but I love the basic concept.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

In terms of quirks I don't think 'loves bodybuilding and muscles' is a bad one, I'm just not sure if Alfred and both of his retainers needed to share it.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Man they just could not think of any better way to introduce Amber, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I have hit chapter 11 and I would like you to know that this game is, in fact, Good, even if it is also an rear end in a top hat.