Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Main character looks kinda dumb but otoh so do I so it's perfect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Watching some footage and only just now saw that movement resets when you Engage.

A calvary unit with Sigurd could move like 20 spaces in one turn plus Canter lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

bravesword posted:

I don't believe that's so. Engaging Sigurd gives you more movement, and the game will let you move, engage, then use the added movement. You don't actually move any further than if you just engaged at the start of the turn and moved from there.

Whoops! You're right, false alarm

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Tae posted:

RPG site did a podcast preview and he got annoyed at the embargo so he basically gave a more detailed review on a few things.

-The non-Emblem rings and gacha and all that are mostly useless, you eventually field all 12 rings so no one is going to use a fake ring instead.

Serenes Forest has a list of some of the non-Emblem Ring skills and they seem like, okay, not nearly as good as any of the actual Emblem rings but can be situational?

They definitely feel placeholder-y until you get a full team's worth of Emblem rings. Maybe S rank rings are trivial to get so they work as a stop-gap much sooner?

Here are some of them:

Marth/FE1
Caeda: Sympathetic (when foe initiates, if HP <= 50%, damage received -5)
Navarre: Deadly Blade (when initiating with Sword, Crit +10)
Ogma, Merric, Minerva, Linde, Tiki, Kris, Katarina and Legion: No unique skill.

Celica/FE2
Alm: Windsweep (when initiating with Sword, Lck% to prevent counterattack)
Mae: Great Thunder (when using Thunder / Elthunder / Thoron, +20% Damage)
Lukas, Genny and Valbar: No unique skill
Faye, Silque, Delthea, Saber and Conrad: Unknown

Sigurd/FE4
Deirdre: Renewal (HP Recovery +5 per turn)
Seliph: Battlewise (when initiating, if successfully defeats a foe, Crt +1; stacks to max Crt +10, persists until end of map)
Arden, Azelle, Quan, Ayra, Lachesis, Lewyn and Erinys: No unique skill
Ethlyn: Unknown

Micaiah/FE10
Sothe: Bane (Dex/2% to reduce enemy HP to 1 on an attack; certain foes immune)
Elincia: Mercy (if an attack would defeat a foe, instead foe survives with 1 HP)
Sanaki, Naesala, Tibarn, Caineghis and Black Knight: No unique skill
Nailah, Leanne and Nephenee: Unknown

The Elincia ring sounds useful for babying units, so there's that.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Eimi posted:

I really love Genshin Impact. I also loathe the look and style of Engage. I'm with Endorph in really questioning how people say they are similar. If Engage was like Genshin It would eliminate at least half the reasons I hate it. Genshin's style is comparatively subdued while I'm sure even the fans of Pikazo's style would say she's using the artistic equivalent of all caps when it comes to color.

Also muted colors are awesome and while I hate how 3H looks, I blame issues more like anti-aliasing and just the engine being rear end instead of the art style. Chainsaw Man is also the best anime of the season by far and it's muted, checkmate atheists.

Out of curiosity, are there any especially egregious Engage designs besides Alear, Hortensia, and maybe Panette? Timerra too I guess but I think it works for her.

I find there are handful of really colourful designs for sure but... there are a lot more characters that are the typical cast of coloured weirdos Fire Emblem always has. The majority of the cast to me wouldn't look terribly out of place in any other Fire Emblem, even Three Houses (post-timeskip).

Not full-body art, but for reference:

Some of the designs I think are really good/would fit in any other FE:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Eimi posted:

I think Panette is as bad as Alear so much worse than you think she is. Pissing off I'm sure most of the thread but like the colors of Alear's design make it fail to work, but the everything about Celines is not something I enjoyTimerra would be totally fine with different colors to tone down the loudness. Zelkov's color scheme is weird given he's just a one off ashen skinned guy. Why is Boucheron half turtle?

You're that the majority are fine, but it's how the total is presented that makes me dislike them. Also the tone, but that's entirely separate from the art.

None of us can help how we feel so I think that's a shame that the art style has been contentious for you. I really like this cast so far and I'm able to look past the designs I don't like as much. All I can hope is that the character writing holds up. But all that aside, Engage looks really fun mechanically, and that's what I'm here for at the end of the day.

I think my least favourite designs are Hortensia are Marni, but

1) Clowns deserve representation too, and
2) I can punch both of them

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Junpei posted:

Okay it's bothering me too much that of the Elusian retainer team, Kagetsu and Goldmary are clearly promoted (Swordmaster and Hero), Rosado is probably promoted, but Zelkov-the one of the four that seems the oldest-is an unpromoted Thief. He should be an Assassin!

So sad that there doesn't seem to be an assassin class this time around. Was hoping for a Volke-style reveal based on some of Yunaka's dialogue but Thief going up to level 25 seems to suggest otherwise.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KSym7PNxC8

glad goldmary isnt just the shy one, she actually seems really funny

Goldmary is probably my favourite character design of Engage so good for her heck of a throwing arm on that lady

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Nanomashoes posted:

Remove class change but bring back FE8 promotion where you get your pick of advanced classes.

This is kinda-more-or-less what Engage has if you ignore second seals if you squint a little. Every base class has their choice of two advanced classes

I think the only difference would be that there's no advanced class overlap (i.e every advanced class is wholly unique to their base class).

edit: oh and I think because base Fliers (the peg knights) are gender-restricted, male units can only become fly if they second seal from an advanced class into Griffin/Wyvern Knight. Maybe, not sure.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Heads up: The game is leaking either now or very soon. There are shots of the special edition art book out with some characters completely unseen in previews.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

I really enjoyed Three Houses back in 2019, enough to play all three routes over 150 hours, but something about the years 2020-2021-2022-2023 daisy-chaining life directly onto my nuts makes me super excited for Engage's bright and cheery world.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

also btw whatever here are the two unrevealed characters (presumably) that were shown off in the artbook:

:siren:SPOILERS:siren:
https://imgur.com/a/3IoUBKr

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Puq82KOfp3w

New short gameplay footage. Nothing interesting, but, I wanted to say how much I really like that the battle map is more or less accurate to the overview map. Even the little fence!

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The truth is it will be revealed IntSys also did nothing on Engage, except this time it will have been made by Gust and have more lesbian endings than every single game in the series together.

(Disclaimer: I never played Atelier so not sure how much male gay it has).

I would buy a dozen copies and give them away to strangers on the street if this was true

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Delphisage posted:

SS was supposed to be the only story, so it's inevitable it'd be the one with the least shoehorned progression.

Boy what a difference experience that'd have been for me (I have never played silver snow)

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/FE_Heroes_EN/status/1614819859145138176?t=2YSK12Hr9p_tYNh_fh8mGw&s=19

I know nothing of FEH but posted this just to go 'holy moley' at that Chloé quote

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

The ROM has leaked and full spoilers will probably be coming very soon.

Someone spoil me on the max deployment limit

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Zoran posted:

Support-mechanics spoilers:

S supports are back for Alear.

I can't believe this was ever in any doubt with an Avatar character

Now let's see how gay we can get this time

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 16, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Some idle thoughts on leaks (non-story)

lol Vander is 45

Audibly gagged at Anna's base 15% Str growth

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Endorph posted:

its a little less inexplicable and stupid, but rosado should not be punished for anna's crimes

tbf she's committed like a lot of crimes

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Any word on New Game plus?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Barreft posted:

The tactics/battles are great. The characters are too, it's just they're mostly like this:

It's really light hearted so far even if people are dying. It's very fun I wouldn't worry

Yeah they hit hard af

I've been reading some of the mined supports and every single character seems at least a little like some weirdo dork rear end. I'm really down for this right now.

Not to say I haven't seen any depth, but it definitely tilts towards goofy in most supports.

Vander knits :allears:

Goldmary is such a piece of poo poo I love her

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

Someone's uploading some of the attract mode clips that show off class animations, and the Swordmaster crit animation at the start of this one is rad as hell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnJj-rd8ENg

Warrior has something similar to the old GBA Berserker crit :allears:

edit: actually more like the Hero

RuBisCO fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 18, 2023

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Eimi posted:

Those generics all look pretty awesome aside from the weird neck ring hero has. I really want to see General now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_TsIspYPGM

Here you go

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Any of the early players got a list of the Emblem Engraving bonuses?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Syrnn posted:

Why the hell get an artist like this and eschew 2D portraits? This would have been sick as hell to have even as just the promo poster style instead. Are the 3D portraits done well, goons who have already played it? With 2D I have less barrier to imagining out the actions implied in some support skits, but 3D somehow feels more distracting when nothing is actually animated about them. Yes, my brain is made of cheese.

Actually, funnily enough according to those Dev interviews it was Mika Pikazo's own suggestion to have 3D portraits and she helped with them.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Does forging weapons let you name them

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Harrow posted:

I’m having a hard time shaking the instinct to level to 20 before promoting even though I’ve heard that’s the wrong move this time. There’s a tiny voice like “it’s gonna gently caress up your EXP gains, look at Vander” but apparently that’s not true?

It seems exp scales off of an internal level count. Promoting, unlike past games (?), doesn't add to that level count this time around so the exp scaling remains unchanged. This means you should promto asap to take advantage of the higher class growths they all get.

Vander probably has a high internal level count.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Syrnn posted:

Does anyone have any channels or LP recommendations for videos to watch that'll help set a good example or otherwise be informative for FE strats? I can't keep making GBS threads up this thread every time a chapter stops me in my tracks and I am clearly missing something fundamental about the experience here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4o_Nm7fgto

I like this guy. He's really good about verbally speaking his thought process and he's good at the game. He has a lot of ironman runs that are fun to have in the back.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

For as piss as the Emblem bond conversations are, some of them are really fun. Timerra and Lucina both point out they have weird loving eyes, Ike straight up says Panette's overly polite speech is weird, everyone points out what the gently caress Anna is doing here. It's neat for as little as they are.

Also really funny that Panette obviously used to be a Wolf Knight (knife proficiency, Timerra/Panette C-support) but in order to shape up her image to be a proper noblelady, she class changed to ... a Berserker :v:

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Lord Ephraim posted:

Stat caps make me realize that Berserkers are terrible. Terrible dex/spd/def/res while they can get well over 80 HP. Shame because I like the punk gothic look of Panette but any reclass option she loses her outfit. Three Houses lets you keep default outfits on infantry that came with a patch update and I hope Engage gets one as well.

Berserkers are my second favourite class in the whole series and I always put in effort to try and work. I think Engage gives you just a ton of tools to work with and they've never been more fun. As someone previously mentioned, crit-stacking is super viable with Panette and mitigating her Class caps is relatively easy.

Ike was tailor made for Berserker. He gives you Wrath, Resolve, and a chunk of HP and Strength. In addition, Laguz Friend/Great Aether/Ike's Hammer/their gigantic HP pool makes it trivial to activate Wrath.
Both the Lyn and Eirika engravings give +40 Hit and +20 crit, which are perfect for hitting mostly anything you want. Byleth also has Divine Pulse and Sigurd has a flat +Hit skill if needed as well. Or you can give her Axe Power from Ike for more damage

+10 Crit from Panette's personal
+30 Crit from Killer weapon (another +10 for a fully forged Killer Axe)
+20 Crit from engraving
+30 Crit from Wrath

Gets you 90~100% crit easy. Enough for Panette to act as a walking "delete this" button and it rules. Great Aether acts as a tactical nuke you drop in a group enemies as well. Super fun.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

The Emblem Paralogues have been some of the most fun I've had in the series. I don't know if they scale with your level, but I've been doing them as soon as they unlock and they've (mostly) all required a ton of effort and thinking. Plus the music is fun, nostalgia-bait and all. Super good!

Ike's rules and the twist to it is hilarious.

Sigurd's is also so funny that halfway through I turned the game off and went to bed.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

A lot of the paralogues are very rude and it owns.

I think a big part of what makes the map design pop in this game is that it is clearly designed with the rewind button in mind, which lets the enemy pull outright nasty tricks mid-battle without forcing the player to reset.

I know people can be sticklers on the time rewind mechanics but I really like it. Not just as a casual thing, but I really like just playing like a dipshit for the first couple turns and then using the time rewind to see if I can dig myself out of it within 10 attempts. Like I'm playing a professor Layton game of my own creation.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Ike's paralogue has a twist? Huh? I must've missed it somehow.

Well, "twist"

Him demolishing the entire fort was really good and caught me off guard extremely hard

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

Yeah I think they're just there as a sort of "just play Fire Emblem for a bit without worrying about breaking the game" mode.

What. Man that sounds cool, didn't happen for me. Probably because I played too aggressive and actually had people nearby to fight him when he started acting.

Ohhh,

Yeah in all the Emblem Paralogues, they eventually start moving in on you after enough turns. Ike runs to the back of the fort and destroys the whole rear end thing.

Really funny considering the context of that map in FE9.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Also shoutout to the Byleth paralogue that

has two warp staff priests that chain warp an enemy unit a billion spaces away and to start wailing on crystals

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Infinity Gaia posted:

But if you give her the Lethality ring you can't give her Corrin's ring so she can constantly dispense fog wherever she goes!

Do the terrain bonuses apply for enemy units on them too?

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

Sigurd's paralogue map is the best thing I have ever played, hands-down.

In the second half, like 3 dozen soldiers flood out of his castle and start marching towards yours. Except Sigurd has such bonkers movement that you can easily line up some of your defensive units and he'll charge way ahead of his gigantic army and Override right into your team. And then if you box in your units, he can't Canter back out.

I can't believe I'm about to commit a FE4 on this man again :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

What determines SP gain? All my units kinda having middling amounts and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Do actions while engaged increase SP?