Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Tae posted:

Rpgsite said ike gains urvan and ragnel at higher bond levels
yeah they didnt mention it in her trailer but micaiah gets thani too. most likely every engage gets all the obvious stuff as they rank up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Sigurd is almost certainly getting plastered to the dancer when they show up, because 3H showed us how loving cracked canto dancers are.
you can learn canto as an inherited skill off of sigurd, but it seems like it only caps out at two spaces after your action. that said even with that in mind it still seems pretty busted.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

depends if it triggers if diamant is gonna break the enemy. the battle previews show the enemy being unable to counterattack if you're gonna break, but on the other hand if diamant misses the enemy would counter.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SyntheticPolygon posted:

How does marriage get less involved than 3 houses but still exist?
Three Houses had bespoke CGs for every pairing Byleth could get, plus a small scene. Presumably in this game Alear just gets a paired ending in the ending scroll like everyone else. that'd be marriage existing, but less involved.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RuBisCO posted:

Serenes Forest has a list of some of the non-Emblem Ring skills and they seem like, okay, not nearly as good as any of the actual Emblem rings but can be situational?

They definitely feel placeholder-y until you get a full team's worth of Emblem rings. Maybe S rank rings are trivial to get so they work as a stop-gap much sooner?

Here are some of them:

Marth/FE1
Caeda: Sympathetic (when foe initiates, if HP <= 50%, damage received -5)
Navarre: Deadly Blade (when initiating with Sword, Crit +10)
Ogma, Merric, Minerva, Linde, Tiki, Kris, Katarina and Legion: No unique skill.

Celica/FE2
Alm: Windsweep (when initiating with Sword, Lck% to prevent counterattack)
Mae: Great Thunder (when using Thunder / Elthunder / Thoron, +20% Damage)
Lukas, Genny and Valbar: No unique skill
Faye, Silque, Delthea, Saber and Conrad: Unknown

Sigurd/FE4
Deirdre: Renewal (HP Recovery +5 per turn)
Seliph: Battlewise (when initiating, if successfully defeats a foe, Crt +1; stacks to max Crt +10, persists until end of map)
Arden, Azelle, Quan, Ayra, Lachesis, Lewyn and Erinys: No unique skill
Ethlyn: Unknown

Micaiah/FE10
Sothe: Bane (Dex/2% to reduce enemy HP to 1 on an attack; certain foes immune)
Elincia: Mercy (if an attack would defeat a foe, instead foe survives with 1 HP)
Sanaki, Naesala, Tibarn, Caineghis and Black Knight: No unique skill
Nailah, Leanne and Nephenee: Unknown

The Elincia ring sounds useful for babying units, so there's that.

great thunder doesn't sound bad. Thunder is 1-3 range in this game. If you're dealing 20 damage with a thunder tome, that's an extra 4 might with the magic equivalent of a longbow.

Caeda could also be good for tank units.

Also, it's possible some lategame maps will have more than 12 deployment slots (iirc, we've already seen a couple of the desert maps where there's 13-14 player units on the field), so the bond rings can function as cushion.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

A lot of the games look feels like it was rushed out quickly but it pretty clearly wasn’t so I don’t know what’s up with that
how so? it looks way better than basically any other 3d FE game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

fe4's artstyle is honestly much more generically 'contemporary anime'

its just that the boxart was by a different artist and the ingame artstyle couldnt really fully express this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

It just looks like a lovely last gen anime game. Nothing particularly interesting in it other than the main characters design being so bad
i mean the last gen part is just because switch. and again, it looks a thousand times better than three houses in terms of both graphics and art design. the character designs are a take it or leave it thing but it objectively is the best looking 3d FE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Amppelix posted:

i don't think you know what lovely last gen anime games looked like

this is like that thing where people say "this looks like a ps2 game" about something that looks slightly worse than the latest naughty dog game
ironically three houses actually did look like a ps2 game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Unlucky7 posted:

That reminds me, is Tecmo-Koei co-developing this game this time? I mean, I think 3 Houses has its charms, but there is only so much you could do with that crummy engine they use.
this game seems much more intelligent systems based but there are rumors that GUST (the atelier guys) are lending some manpower and support. the presentation isn't dissimilar to gust's recent work like atelier ryza so it makes sense to me.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if the game's been ready for a while (and the reviewers having had the game since december and the relatively short time between announcement and release tracks) then i imagine the game isn't wholly intsys, since they had paper mario and wario ware within the past couple years, but it definitely isn't as completely farmed out as three houses was.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the artstyle isnt really anything like genshin's. the colors are a lot more saturated, the face/eye shape is different, the character proportions are different, it uses different shading.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jan 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Natural 20 posted:

Yes okay, it is very technically different.

But Genshin has been hugely impactful on 3D character design and clearly impacts this game.

The influence and comparative are clear.

wouldnt this game had to have started development before genshin even came out. i doubt they could have clocked this thing out in barely two years. three houses took 4 years to make.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

maybe im just the weird one because saying this game and genshin look alike is genuinely, to me, like saying it looks like super mario odyssey. like no it doesnt.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah hes a monk like framme, punch/staves. wonder if he has any unique qualities beyond his growths, like maybe he starts with a few extra weapon proficiencies besides fists/staves so he can reclass easier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cuntman.net posted:

wasnt particularly interested in this game before but all the mechanical stuff in the op sounds good, thank you op

still have one big question though, does this game use map sprites or map models
the entire game's 3d but there are small sprites of the characters in the menus and such

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

chainsaw man's anime is okay but its not really as good as the manga and bocchi, g-witch, blue lock, and akiba maid war were all significantly better, imo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

They added a two minute long mostly dialogueless sequence of Aki getting ready for work. That wasn't in the manga. I think that's amazing and shows they get the manga. Also I think the anime is much better paced than the manga, the anime better paces out the fights and the slower more important stuff while I felt the manga was breathless a lot of the time. Bocchi and G-Witch are both great, but only G-Witch is what I'd say was on CSM's level and I put CSM above it because I'm a massive fan of both.
i think csm being so breathless is a big part of its energy and vibes, i think smoothing out that pacing to be more 'normal' removes part of what makes csm unique to make it more of a bog standard shonen.

Last Celebration posted:

I never heard of Mika Pikazo before Engage but the all-caps energy owns and this is one of the few modern games I’ve ever been slightly disappointed with the graphics on for not being able to fully capture the energy of the original character design artwork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGYgGOXrLu4

tbf it comes across better than the only other 3d game ive seen their work in in terms of capturing their vibes. tho to be fair to fgo arcade, that game has work from a bunch of artists so it kind of has to flatten all the styles. but still an attempt was definitely made in engage, you can see the difference.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Zelkov's color scheme is weird given he's just a one off ashen skinned guy.
i mean theres people in real life with that skin tone

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eimi posted:

Really? His skin looks like actually black, like he's a drow or something.

not to become the fire emblem engage thread skin tone speaker but while it obviously isnt the exact same as these it feels like it falls into the same spectrum. his skin's a little ashier but that feels like reasonable variation + partly a result of anime artstyle flattening out how skintones can shift across a person's face. theres skintones that arent that common in north america/europe but can be found elsewhere.

heck you ever seen khoudia diop.

skin tones are a pretty broad spectrum

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

id say zelkov doesnt seem like hes actually anything like #00000 but this conversation is getting dangerously close to somebody putting a black fire emblem character into a color picker tool

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

my guess for the fire emblem is that the final map of the game will have alear engage with naga and that engage ring will be the fire emblem.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Erg posted:

One of the tales games had two artists design a half of the main cast each. Idr if it was a gender divide or what, but that was kinda cool

I think it was berseria?
berseria had 4 character designers, and there was no real coherence to it.

velvet was mutsumi inomata, a long time tales designer.
laphicet and eizen were minoru iwamoto, who'd later be sole character designer for tales of arise.
rokurou and magilou were daigo okumura, who'd previously worked on god eater.
and eleanor was kosuke fujishima, the ah my goddess guy.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the only directs nintendo's done since this game's announcement have both been entirely about the super mario brothers movie.

this game has a much shorter turnaround from announcement to release and directs are a smaller part of nintendo's marketing these days. they're posting a ton of videos to their youtube and nintendo's japanese twitter has been posting clips of the game every few days. there's posters and commercials for it in japan, too. mika pikazo, the game's artist, also had a big art exhibit in tokyo that included some promotional art from this game.

three houses didn't really get any casual marketing to western audiences either, it just had a longer dev time and nintendo did more directs back then so it had more chances to show up.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Jan 9, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also Nintendo of America just blatantly has no idea how to market fire emblem on any level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOMEamyw_Zw

peep the only US commercial three houses got. WAR IS IMMINENT (war does not happen for half the game,) literally no mention of the teacher/academy premise, no mention of character stuff, a lady doing a bad impression of professor mcgonagall, trying to sell the game as a hardcore tactical challenge.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

im not even sure what mechanic shes referring to with 'saving your strongest attack for the reinforcements.' i guess gambits?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FrickenMoron posted:

Is there still no jp version of the opening on youtube? I feel like the japanese twitter etc. did at least 5x more infoposting than any official english source.
i think the eng opening was leaked from the preview copies. japan doesn't have a similar culture - they don't hand out preview copies to japanese youtubers or anything, at least most of the time, and most professional reviewers in japan are still in magazines, not websites.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

in that case leif definitely seems like diamant's best engage, since hes the one built around breaking

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think alear's ever been shown equipping the blank ring though. isn't it way more likely that they just turn into a ring and you equip them to non-alear characters.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

diamant's design really reminds me of ike's which makes it funny that roy seems to be his default engage.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah it seems to be fe1/3 style where thief doesnt promote but has a higher level cap.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

still hoping Santangelo fits the name field so i can engage them with marth and get 'Marth & Santangelo'

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drakenel posted:

The dumb ads for this game make it look like a gacha phone game.

I assume it isn't, but it's really starting to unsell me on the game.

what are you talking about

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Sorry, I get a lot of short ads on my tv when watching youtube or whatever. the 5 second things are constant and say nothing. (I don't always have access to my computer/phone to have adblock running)

The actual media put out is far better.
oh no i was genuinely curious because i never see youtube ads so i didnt know they were running ones for this game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KSym7PNxC8

glad goldmary isnt just the shy one, she actually seems really funny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

eh, modern FE usually lets you use the lategame prepromotes for like half the game. Xander joins in chapter 15 of 28.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sure but xander (and ryoma) is a pretty normal prepromote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

why did you leave two 12 year olds in charge of seliph then sigurd

i know one of those 12 year olds grew up to be shanan but still

avoraciopoctules posted:

Renata Price gave some preview impressions of Fire Emblem Engage in a recent Waypoint Radio episode. The way she described Emblem Marth's self-introduction as a tipping point that really transformed the way she viewed the game was quite interesting. Of course, there's still some room for some surprising reveals in the latter half of the game, but I think I am fine with a pretty basic weekend cartoon plot if they have really made the combat as compelling as she says.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/episode-532-happy-new-year-heres-a-peasant-uprising/id1159170164?i=1000592931480
i mean genuinely 'extremely basic good vs evil story executed competently' would be in the top 5 plots in the series. the fe series vacillates between 'literally nothing happens' (fe5, fe6, fe7, fe13), 'basically that anyway' (fe1, fe3, fe8, also fe13) or 'trying to be complicated but backing off hard on having any actual consequences' (fe10, fe14, somewhat FE2)

then there's fe4 which has good ideas but is told primarily through the means of the seventeenth guy reusing this portrait going YES MY LORD and summoning 50 wyvern riders, fe16 which has maybe 1.5 routes of content split across 4, and FE9 which just barely escapes literally nothing happens due to having pretty good worldbuilding.

i love this series but iunno what one people are playing where they're terrified of losing the series' sterling plotting.